• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Once you go 80%.......

Yes I would engrave a serial number etc.... How do you like your Hybrid?

Eh, not as well as I thought I would.

It has an RDS so the longer sight radius doesn’t matter, and there’s not a whole lot of extra velocity.

And with the longer slide acting as a longer lever against the fulcrum that is the grip, it feels like it wants to rotate in my hand with the shorter grip. It feels a little unbalanced. However, maybe that nose-heavy balance makes it more controllable when shooting. I don’t have a G19 to compare it to back to back right now.

The AG's stuff doesn't apply to a handgun. Any more opinions on carrying a registered self built handgun being an issue in an otherwise clean defense situation?
When you asked about carrying a 80% firearm for self defense you did not specify a handgun, so I offered the specifics for a rifle since that was the way this thread was trending.

As far as any “issues” with using a home made gun in your “clean defense situation” I will say once again it is not a good look in this political climate. Even if it is considered legal the authorities are going to be looking at the case much harder if it involves a home made gun. And then after your “clean defense situation” ends you up in court because the family of the person you shot is going to come after you just like OJ, their attorney is going to be very specific in court that the gun involved was a home made ghost gun. And that is going to hurt in any judgments made against you.

I can offer you one last opinion……. If you want to really know the ramifications of using a home made gun to defend yourself and possibly taking someone’s life, then you should be seeking the advice of a firearms attorney, not the opinions of strangers on the internet.

When you asked about carrying a 80% firearm for self defense you did not specify a handgun, so I offered the specifics for a rifle since that was the way this thread was trending.

As far as any “issues” with using a home made gun in your “clean defense situation” I will say once again it is not a good look in this political climate. Even if it is considered legal the authorities are going to be looking at the case much harder if it involves a home made gun. And then after your “clean defense situation” ends you up in court because the family of the person you shot is going to come after you just like OJ, their attorney is going to be very specific in court that the gun involved was a home made ghost gun. And that is going to hurt in any judgments made against you.

I can offer you one last opinion……. If you want to really know the ramifications of using a home made gun to defend yourself and possibly taking someone’s life, then you should be seeking the advice of a firearms attorney, not the opinions of strangers on the internet.

A simple opinion question is just food for thought. Take it down a notch Francis.

Must engrave a serial number and EFA10 it. Can’t use a sharpie marker.
Yes, but you can't manufacture it with the intent to sell it. If, at some point after you have finished it, you do decide you want to sell it, you must then serialize it according to the ATF guidelines.
No, you have to put a serial number on a gun you made for yourself once you get tired of it, and want to sell it.
Not unless you intend to sell it at a later date.
So if I do a build a carry gun can I EFA10 it on my own and be legally good if I ever used it for self defense?

There is no requirement in Federal or Massachusetts law requiring a a firearm manufactured by you for you to ever bear a serial number, whether you keep it forever or sell it six months later because you got tired of it.

You don't have to serialize it when you make.

Not when you "register" it.

Not when you sell it.

Not even when you die and bequeath it.

There is simply no requirement anywhere, for a SN under these circumstances. I'm open to being corrected if someone will provide a cite, but I think I'm pretty safe on this.

What you CAN'T do is make it with the intent of selling it, or even give the appearance of it by doing it more than once in a great while.

There is no requirement in Federal or Massachusetts law requiring a a firearm manufactured by you for you to ever bear a serial number, whether you keep it forever or sell it six months later because you got tired of it.

You don't have to serialize it when you make.

Not when you "register" it.

Not when you sell it.

Not even when you die and bequeath it.

There is simply no requirement anywhere, for a SN under these circumstances. I'm open to being corrected if someone will provide a cite, but I think I'm pretty safe on this.

What you CAN'T do is make it with the intent of selling it, or even give the appearance of it by doing it more than once in a great while.
I can’t find anything in M.G.L regarding homemade guns so I’ll have to assume you are correct. Federal law requires serial #’s if selling as a business. Nothing is said concerning serial numbers if personal sale is performed.

The AG's stuff doesn't apply to a handgun. Any more opinions on carrying a registered self built handgun being an issue in an otherwise clean defense situation?

I’d think in this environment, especially in New England, you should put a serial number on the gun, whether you carry it or not. You may know all the rules, but you probably don’t have the deep pockets the state does to find any reason to jam you up, on even the slightest of technicalities. Not to mention the media fallout which would likely lead to even more asinine laws that no one can interpret.

I’d think in this environment, especially in New England, you should put a serial number on the gun, whether you carry it or not. You may know all the rules, but you probably don’t have the deep pockets the state does to find any reason to jam you up, on even the slightest of technicalities. Not to mention the media fallout which would likely lead to even more asinine laws that no one can interpret.
The media is the worst part of it all.

I can’t find anything in M.G.L regarding homemade guns so I’ll have to assume you are correct. Federal law requires serial #’s if selling as a business. Nothing is said concerning serial numbers if personal sale is performed.

Newly manufactured by a manufacturer requires a SN.

If a firearm was lawfully manufactured without one, (prior to 1968 I believe) or personally, it doesn't ever need one.

Newly manufactured by a manufacturer requires a SN.

If a firearm was lawfully manufactured without one, (prior to 1968 I believe) or personally, it doesn't ever need one.

This is correct. The ATF recommends you engrave serial number and manufacturer's information on it before selling it, but I can't find anything mandating that. Just the unspoken ATF "do it or else we'll break down your door and shoot your dog for being an unlicensed manufacturer" threat. Fair warning: IANAL and I didn't actually put that much effort into researching it. If you want to be safe, get it engraved.

The thing we know for certain that does matter is that the firearm was not manufactured with the intent to sell. That makes one a manufacturer and requires an FFL.

Also if you do any sort of weird shit to the gun to cause the NFA to come into play--turning it into an SBR or AOW, you will 100% absolutely have to file a Form 1, pay your tax, and get it engraved.

Last edited:
This is correct. The ATF recommends you engrave serial number and manufacturer's information on it before selling it, but I can't find anything mandating that. Just the unspoken ATF "do it or else we'll break down your door and shoot your dog for being an unlicensed manufacturer" threat. Fair warning: IANAL and I didn't actually put that much effort into researching it. If you want to be safe, get it engraved.

The thing we know for certain that does matter is that the firearm was not manufactured with the intent to sell. That makes one a manufacturer and requires an FFL.

Also if you do any sort of weird shit to the gun to cause the NFA to come into play--turning it into an SBR or AOW, you will 100% absolutely have to file a Form 1, pay your tax, and get it engraved.

NFA is a whole other can of worms, yes.

Back
Top Bottom