• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

? on Wolf ammo

NFD9

NES Member
I recently bought 500 rounds of .223 Wolf military classic ammo for my Colt AR-15.
Now after talking to a couple of people who didn't recomend using it, I'm not sure what to do.
I don't want to damage the rifle.
Any opinions? [thinking]
TIA
Gary

I recently bought 500 rounds of .223 Wolf military classic ammo for my Colt AR-15.
Now after talking to a couple of people who didn't recomend using it, I'm not sure what to do.
I don't want to damage the rifle.
Any opinions? [thinking]
TIA
Gary

Hey Gary, Just give it to me. I'll get rid of it for ya! LOL!

Seriously, however. I am no ammo expert, but I have shot Wolf in both my Mini 14 and Bushmaster. I asked a few different folks and got different stories. Some swore by it others condemned it. It is not a steady diet, but interspersed with othr brands.

Several years ago I shot a lot of Wolf ammo in my Sig P229 9mm. I was told that this was terrible ammo and would ruin my fine Sig. Many thousand of rounds later, no damage. Just my .02 which is only worth about .01.

Biggest complaint I heard about Wolf ammo is that its dirty and not clean burning ammo at all. I also heard that most AR types won't function correctly if dirty.

wolf is dirty ammo and his hard primers...those are the only 2 reasons no to use it...if you dont mind a lil extra cleaning youre fine...the primer hopefully shouldnt break your firing pin but i have heard in some cases it has...either way its an easy part to replace and youre not going to ruin your gun...ive used wolf ammo in all my rifles and never had a problem...they have harder primers than most US commercial rifles because of the more rugged and stuff firing pins on russian made rifles that tend to stick and cause slamfires

I hadn't thought about primers or clean burning.
I was mostly worried about the the steel casing hurting the chamber.
More food for thought [thinking]
Thanks for the additional info.

I can guarantee you that Wolf classic is neither going to damage the chamber nor the firing pin.

I've shot close to 700 rounds of Wolf steel case through my LMT carbine and nothing has ever happened to it other than getting dirty. To be honest, Wolf is only slightly dirtier than my reloads made with Alliant Reloder 15.

Also, ARs work reliably with an incredible amount of fouling inside the bolt carrier group. Just place a few drops of your favorite synthetic gun lube around the cam pin and between the bolt and carrier and you'll be fine.

I've shot plenty of Wolf through both my Bushmaster AR, and my new FNH FS2000. The Wolf tends to be a little underpowered compared to some others, and in the FS2000 I have to run it on the "adverse" gas setting. It does not seem any dirtier than anything else I've tried. I'll be picking up another case next week.

Biggest complaint I heard about Wolf ammo is that its dirty and not clean burning ammo at all. I also heard that most AR types won't function correctly if dirty.

+1 with that being stated you take care of your rifle and you should have no problems.

I have put well over 500 rounds of Wolf 223 down my bushmaster with no compliants.

Back
Top Bottom