On the property

Chris M.

NES Member
Hi folks,

Quick question:
Recently our local paper had a police blotter entry for a call to a property where shots were heard. This is a semi-rural area. The police determined that the owner of the property was legally shooting on his own land.

Did the police determine this using the same Hunting regulation that prohibits discharge of a firearm 150' from an improved road and 500' from a dwelling?

I'm embarrassed to say that I did not know exactly how this could be determined when NOT hunting or outside the hunting seasons.

Thanks!

You are not stating where this is happening However,

In most places, if you own enough property where you can safely shoot (you are far enough from the neighbors and there are no town by-laws prohibiting the discharge of firearms) then there is no reason why you couldn't do it.
Keep in mind that if someone isn't used to the sound of gunfire, they may call
the police and they will investigate. This will lead to the police report.

BTW:This is my opinion and IANAL

I don't recall the particulars, but I looked into this recently. I was looking into putting a small range in my back yard. IIRC, shooting on private land outside of hunting season has different discharge rules than while hunting. There are also town laws as well. Also, I recently read some Mass firearms law summaries that stated one can have and shoot in a range inside their home with out regard to the proximity of neighboring property and roads.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom