• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

On the fence--SP101 vs G26 (or similar)

Analysis Paralysis. Ouch.

I pocket carry an LCR, in 38spl. Muzzle flip is bad for me, so, while it carries real well, I'd like to get something else. SP101 fits in my hand, and at least in 327Mag, shot real well/fit well/everything. [I'll probably forgo the 6th shot and stay in 38spl though.] For various reasons I'm planning on sticking with pocket carry. For now.

The G26 sounds interesting, but it'd be months before I bought one, as I'd need to save up more, buy a new holster, probably new sites (isn't that a common upgrade?), new reloading dies, and lots more ammo. The SP101, if bought in 38/357, would probably reuse all the stuff I have now.

Thoughts? I''m leaning towards the SP101, quick upgrade and my ticket to placing 5 shots where they need to go--but I do think I'll go (eventually) to a 9mm, for various reasons hashed out elsewhere.

The Ruger SP101 is a excellent gun but it's far from what I would call a pocket pistol, unless you have some pretty big pockets, the one I had weighted just under 30 oz. fully loaded. Have you ever thought about a Ruger SR 9c ? 800 rounds and mine has been 100%, a few other guys I know have the same thing to say about theirs. Almost the same size as the Glock 26 a little thinner in the grip and is about 100 bucks cheaper. I live in Mass. and if I didn't have to pay the tax it would have been $389.00 out the door.

The Ruger SP101 is a excellent gun but it's far from what I would call a pocket pistol, unless you have some pretty big pockets, the one I had weighted just under 30 oz. fully loaded. Have you ever thought about a Ruger SR 9c ? 800 rounds and mine has been 100%, a few other guys I know have the same thing to say about theirs. Almost the same size as the Glock 26 a little thinner in the grip and is about 100 bucks cheaper. I live in Mass. and if I didn't have to pay the tax it would have been $389.00 out the door.

This, You would most likely need a holster for an SP101 anyhow or compromise and get a belly band which is kind of halfway between pocket and holster carry, I know people who carry similarly sized revolvers in a belly band and love it, that asside I was on the fence between and SP101 in 357 and another auto for my last purchase (if not SP101, the 357 equivalent) it shot great, I thought I was set on picking up my first revolver then Carl went and did something crazy and offered sigs at what ended up being like 30% off and I picked up a 226, but I digress...

For what its worth, a bigger-small auto would be closest thing to carrying the LCP, though in a holster, and likely have the shorter learning curve. Revolvers are pretty foolproof, whatever you get I would practice drawing from the holster/concealement to be comfortable with the differences before carrying.

What barrel length in the SP 101 are you looking at? I'm guessing 2 1/4? From what I have seen...If the 2 1/4" barrel, the weight difference when loaded will be very close to the same weight, with the Glock26 being slightly heavier. I can carry either comfortably in the front pocket of my cargo shorts during Summer time.
Some have swapped out the stock grips for the Hogue which makes shooting some Magnums loads a bit more comfortable. Others have talked about the sights and what to do to make them better, some have filed the sharp edges on the SP 101s trigger and trigger guard, while others have added hammer springs and trigger springs to make the trigger pull a bit smoother and lighter (its close to a 15lb trigger pull stock).
The Glock 26 is very accurate out of the box and around a 5lb trigger pull, while the SP 101 in a 2 1/4" barrel is also a very nice pistol out of the box; just some people may need to practice with it shooting the Magnum loads. Just for the record I have the Glock 27 and the SP 101 DOA 357 Magnum in a 2 1/4" barrel, both are great pistols.

I found the sights on the SP 101 suck and switched to a mepro front night sight. That made it a bit better but I am looking into other options.
I have done almost every little trick on my SP and had to adjust to the sights (stock and new). I love that little pistol and love it even more now lol.
My 27 I had to install extended slide stop, extended slide lock, extended mag release and a 3.5 trigger that thing shoots like a dream. Very tough for me to decide which to carry, just because of ammo capacity and easier to carry magazines. I usually carry the SP for around the town travels, around the house, keep it at bed side, or out in the yard work. If I had to buy another SP101 it would be in a 327 Magnum reason being I feel (have not actually fired one) it would be a perfect round for that platform.

+2. I love my SR9c, although I still wouldn't necessarily consider it a pocketable gun.

I've fired the 327Mag, must have been the 85 grain load, as it was very mild on recoil--vastly less than my 38spl LCR with wadcutters! 3 inch version, that is. The only thing I noticed about the trigger was that it was light but longer than the LCR--I don't think it was a tuned gun but maybe it was.

I was thinking 3" SP101, to make the most out of a 38spl +P carry load. Better sight radius too. I've gotten the point that Dockers (or similar) are my standard attire; necessary for work and when they get holey I wear them on the weekend. Decent pockets, I've gotten the point where I'll just keep buying these--if I ever go back to jeans it'll probably be IWB for sure.

As it is, the LCR drops in and disappears. I'm rather content with the carry; if anything, this pair of pants has too wide an open, as the Nemesis holster is very easily removed with the revolver! Anyhow, 3" SP101 might be over the top, I have to admit.

I had thought about the SR9c, I'm not sure why I wasn't going down that path... I wrote down the measurements but forgot to look further than that; the measurements seem to indicate is closer to the G19. I also did not realize it could be had at that cost level, that would make it a contender for sure, especially if I could score it used.

I had thought about the SR9c, I'm not sure why I wasn't going down that path... I wrote down the measurements but forgot to look further than that; the measurements seem to indicate is closer to the G19. I also did not realize it could be had at that cost level, that would make it a contender for sure, especially if I could score it used.

This. I don't understand why people always feel the need to compare the SR9c to the G26. Its dimensions are much closer to the G19: both are 6.85"L, and the respective heights are 5.0" & 4.61" for the G19 & SR9c (G26 is 6.29" x 4.17").

My only complaint with the G26 is the grip is really too small for me. Very much like a J frame situation.

Since you are in NH you van have any Glock magazine you want, I do have a single 10 round with a +0 extension but my other 10 round magazines have +2 extensions on them and that makes the gun a perfect fit in my hand.

The other advantage of the Glock is magazines from a 17, 18, and 19 will also fit. Granted they may stick out the bottom a bit, but a 17 round magazine in your pocket as a spare isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
I might pick up the 3" SP101, more for fun than carry--good woods gun, I'm guessing. Leave LCR for pocket carry, and eventually get a G19 (or similar). Everything I'm reading on the subject leans towards the G26 (and its ilk) being really too big for pocket carry; if it can't go in and out easily, then what's the point of buying it for a pocket gun? It'll stay in the safe, at least that's what I think I'd do with it. I'm just not up for IWB/OWB, at least not about 5 days out of the week.

I did get in touch with a friend of mine, and turns out he has a good selection of smaller 9's and 45's. Once the range thaws out in spring we'll try some out. I might just hold off until then.

Something I might have to try out is the laser grip for the LCR. I fired a few rounds with one, and didn't think the recoil was worse. But being thinner I wonder if it'd fix what is bothering me--press LCR into web of hand and my thumb still takes the recoil. [Base of the thumb, next to the web.] That's starting to keep me from practice. Maybe a thinner grip would direct the recoil into the web better--or help me position the gun better, I dunno. It being my only centerfire means it's the only thing I can practice with (do have 22's but it's not quite the same).

Couldn't find a 1lb weight here, so I counted out 47 148grn WC's, put them into a baggie, and dropped them in a pocket, next to the LCR, to help "simulate" the SP101. Doesn't get the extra 1.25" of length (going by the spec's of the desired 3.06" SP101 vs the 1.875" LCR), but just to see if a 28oz gun is too much for me.

It's not bad, but it does swing around a lot more--huge difference between 13oz and 29oz of pocket weight. I can see how it can be done, but it would be vastly better as a belt gun. Pure speculation, but I'm guessing 20oz or so is probably my "limit" as to "comfortable" pocket carry.

Last edited:
The new LC9 seems a good bit smaller than the SR9c, which is pretty large IMO. But I don't see the LC9 as being a pocket gun either. The G26 is really too thick to be a practical pocket gun, well, maybe for Andre the Giant, but for everyone else, it is a far stretch. Khar comes closest to a 9mm pocket gun, but they can be hit or miss as far as reliability.

Yeah, I'm starting to get the idea that, for pocket carry, I need to drop down a caliber or something. I don't want something I can't put a few rounds through per week (I plan to reload, so odd-ball ammo cost isn't a killer--but it's a consideration, of course), and tiny hand-hurting is out. I won't practice if it hurts, and I won't carry if I can't drop it into the pocket.

32acp, maybe, although the blowback designs I've read about aren't exactly low on recoil--and of course, 32acp isn't exactly a great SD round. 380, maybe, although the latest offerings appear to be hand-hurters. 32H&R is starting to sound tempting, save for finding one (S&W 432 or the like?); 327Mag, maybe, although today's experiment is showing that pocket carry of an SP101 is probably too much to expect to do on a regular basis. I haven't seen many of those calibers up for sale around these parts either.

I dunno, guess I just have to shop around more, handle a few more guns. And be ready to buy what might work on the spot.

Check out the S&W Bodyguard 380. I just got one and it is a really nice pocket gun and very manageable to shoot. With good self-defense ammo would be a good choice if you want a small pistol. Based on what most sources say stay away from 32, and go at least 38 or 380.

Here is a pic of my BG380 vs my G26. The BG380 is a lot smaller and definitely pocketable.

Bodyguard_5_resize.JPG

Bodyguard_4_resize.JPG

Last edited:
I'll keep that in mind. But I just blew the money I got for Christmas. [smile]

Went to the 'ole gunstore, just to "see". Wound up buying the 3" SP101 in 357Mag, been wanting one of those--and since they had one used, it was mine. I then traded in my LCR for the 357LCR, on the premise that going from 13oz to 17oz might make the recoil much better. Maybe not great, but better.

So, we'll give this a try--the 357LCR loaded with 38's for now, and I can try out the SP101 as I feel like. And next Christmas we'll see what we wind up with.

On edit: I dropped the 3" SP101 into my pocket, for now. It's not bad, the weight isn't a problem. It's the size, and the full hammer. Would not be as fast on the draw, and it really does fill the pocket.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:

I had a SP101 that I pocket carried for a little while, it was on the heavy side for a pocket I thought. I ended up trading it in (shoulda kept it!), for what, I can't remember. The LCR has replaced the SP101 and I can't even tell it's there. It's a bit of a handful with +P .38's but I can hit what I aim at within reasonable distances.

If you can get a G26 for reasonable money, I'd go for it. Otherwise pick up the SP101 and IWB it.

Given you're now thinking about downgrading caliber, I'll chime in to say you might just want to stick with your new 357 LCR and get used to any flip, or get an actual 9mm pocket gun - Kahr PM9 or MK9, the new Ruger LC9, or the soon-to-be-out-any-time-now-no-really Sig P290. The Kel-Tec PF-9 is something to definitely look at -- it is quite reasonably pocketable (though it isn't all that much smaller than the G26 in any one dimension, it adds up and it's definitely more of a pocket gun) and it's relatively inexpensive.

ETA: you could also have the hammer bobbed on the SP101 if it turns out you find it reasonable to carry but want to lose the snag point. The overall length would put me off from pocket carrying it. BTW, Bianchi makes a great OWB holster for it -- the #5BHL.

Last edited:
I'm going to try out the 357LCR for a while. Hands down, it disappears just like the 38 version does. I've got a couple of reservations so far, but I'm comparing the 38 which I shot a good 400 rounds or so in, to a practically new gun (bought used). The 357LCR, right now, if I try to open the cylinder with any amount of pressure on the cylinder, will bind. And the cylinder has lots of endplay when extended. And it kinda goes back in sloppy, if you ask me--the 38spl version seemed much all around in terms of controls. I went back, and compared to a similar new one; both are the same way. Maybe it'll loosen up a bit on the cylinder release with a few rounds, maybe it'll have to go back for some finesse.

Push come to shove, if it doesn't work out, it'll get traded for something else. Maybe 2.25" DAO SP101, or finally an automatic. Eh. Just trade around until I find what works best for me.

My sp101 with the bobbed hammer is easily concealed....but it's heavy.

G26 is easily concealed....and it's light

.357 vs 9mm, power vs capacity, comfort vs ...revolver?, it's up to you. Can't go wrong either way.

Yeah, a 2.25" DAO might be nice, easier to shoot than the LCR, but heavy. If I see one this year, I might have to grab one; but since it's really a belt gun I'm not sure what the gain is over a 3" hammer. I think my goal is to try out a bunch of 9's over the course of the year, and buy what I like next year. That is, if I like the 9's, then get something like a G19, not a pocket gun.

Yeah, a 2.25" DAO might be nice, easier to shoot than the LCR, but heavy. If I see one this year, I might have to grab one; but since it's really a belt gun I'm not sure what the gain is over a 3" hammer. I think my goal is to try out a bunch of 9's over the course of the year, and buy what I like next year. That is, if I like the 9's, then get something like a G19, not a pocket gun.

The G19 is probably the most versatile out of the bunch. Not huge (can still be easily concealed), but doesn't compromise on barrel length/grip/capacity....I think it's the perfect medium ground of a full size and BUG...just my .02

For me, the SP101 and Glock 26 are just too big and heavy for pocket carry. And if I'm going to carry in a belt holster, I can carry a bigger gun, with a longer sight radius and larger grip (like a Glock 19). YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom