• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OMG please talk me out of this. (Gun cleaning mat)

I say no. I get way too much oil solvent grease carbon etc on my cheapo cleaning mat to justify anything more expensive...

Currently selling for 80% less than the Sage & Braker, I grabbed this Remington branded kit on clearance at Midway for $14:
797909.jpg
Unlike the one linked up top, no cows were harmed making this "roll up"!

I can think of lots of things I’ve spent crazy money on. Tools, say, like chisels and hand planes. Knives, obviously. Even watches.

Stuff for cleaning guns? Hell no. But then, I learned in the army, where using a GI brown towel and a bent dental pick, plus a plastic toothbrush, with your own leg as a bench was the standard.

Good luck to you, OP.
Totally agree of Planes and Chisels. I actually chatted with Lie Nielsen about ten years back. Asked him if I could have a custom chisel made (extra long). He told me to call the shop and tell them he said it was ok to order.

Cleaning mat? You mean newspapers spread on the kitchen table? Makes my lunch smell like Hoppes for days.

It’s probably your hands that smell like hoppes…Like you’ve never gone to bed after making a sandwich for work tomorrow and when you get your sandwich out at lunch there’s three or four greasy fingerprints on it?

Update: Champagne taste on a Busch Beer Budget

FYI, all links are safe, I removed any references, just pure product links.

I have to admit, I like nice things, who doesn't and being an older gentlemen from England I like old world traditional things.

I did truly covert the original Leather Sage & Braker Mat I posted, but I would not pay that sort of money and then actually use for such dirty things as cleaning my firearms, it's a thing of beauty to admire.

As @Boghog1 posted, I found a cheaper alliterative Rush Creek Creations Portable Gun Cleaning Weather Resistant Accessory Mat

My oldest had given me an amazon gift card for my birthday in July and I had the cleaning matt sitting in my wish list and the the gift card sitting in my account, so I pulled the proverbial trigger.

I'm very impressed with the quality and build, no it does not have leather trim, it's made of a thiner canvas and vinyl trim, however for me and price build quality is great. I do not have the Sage & Braker of course to do a side by side comparison. The big difference is of course the price and at this price, I will use for what it is intended for with out worry, unlike the Sage & Braker.

So anyone looking for a decent gift for the firearm enthusiast, who has everything, this is not a bad choice. I will keep it in my truck while I'm at the range. Might even use to clean my gun during cold weather on the dining room table (while the wife is out, of course).

I need to find some liquid tight small container of oil and clp, don't make me start a new thread on this value for money little beauty.

Next gift card given event, I might spring for these.

Amazon product ASIN B07DRPM4XKView: https://www.amazon.com/Sage-Braker-Mercantile-Cleaning-Brushes/dp/B07DRPM4XK/

Amazon product ASIN B08P8ZSPG9View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08P8ZSPG9/

Harry

I have been cleaning in the same old bath towel for years...
But I must have 20 cleaning kits scattered around the house. People keep giving them to me as gifts. And I am awful because I scavenge my favorite parts from each kit, so I have 19 slightly incomplete cleaning kits, missing the most common and useful things.

I switched to Hoppes Elite years ago because the wife bitched about the smell of #9. And I go through a lot of grease.... Grease is the word

Cleaning kits are the biggest scam. Notice many of them list several calibers ... but 4 or 5 use the exact same stuff and most of what they provide is cheap sh*t. So you see a list of 12 calibers that means nothing.

Instead... buy your own stuff separate, spend half the money and get better quality.

I’m having a hard time understanding why anybody would want a wool gun cleaning mat, soaking up all the cleaner and lubricant.
It has a solvent friendly cover over it, liquid bubbles on it rather than soaks in. Only time will tell of course, I will let you know how it holds up over time but I looks like it will be ok.

Back
Top Bottom