• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Olympic Pistol Roster

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
It would be nice if they put the CMP's approved service pistol list on some sort of competition exception roster.

The secretary of public safety shall compile a list, on a bi-annual basis, of firearms designated as formal target shooting firearms in accordance with this paragraph. Such list shall be made available for distribution by the executive office of public safety.

How did formal target shooting firearm morph into Olympic firearms only?

Can we convince some of the manufacturers to produce a target model for Mass?

How did formal target shooting firearm morph into Olympic firearms only?

It didn't. There's a separate "Formal Target Shooting Firearms Roster" here: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/formaltargetshootingroster05-2014.pdf. The Olympic roster is similar but different. Why they didn't just add the Olympic pistols to the target shooting roster I have no idea....

Can we convince some of the manufacturers to produce a target model for Mass?

It wouldn't even have to be just for MA. The requirements are listed here: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/application-for-formal-target-shooting-roster.pdf. I can think of many guns that would seem to easily meet the requirements but aren't listed. Either nobody ever submitted them or they got denied for some reason. (More likely the former.)

It didn't. There's a separate "Formal Target Shooting Firearms Roster" here: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/formaltargetshootingroster05-2014.pdf. The Olympic roster is similar but different. Why they didn't just add the Olympic pistols to the target shooting roster I have no idea....

It wouldn't even have to be just for MA. The requirements are listed here: http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/application-for-formal-target-shooting-roster.pdf. I can think of many guns that would seem to easily meet the requirements but aren't listed. Either nobody ever submitted them or they got denied for some reason. (More likely the former.)

1. Bureaucracy at its finest. Why use what you have when you can invent a brand new wheel? [rolleyes]

2. GCAB doesn't consider anything on its own. Mfrs have to submit info to be considered. Most aren't interested in dealing with MA at all. I seriously doubt that GCAB has ever rejected any gun submitted unless they didn't follow procedure and submit the correct info required. Last I knew they had nobody on that committee that had any technical competence to challenge an independent lab report. The target lists don't require testing, but have very specific documentation requirements. If a mfr doesn't follow them to a "t", GCAB rightfully rejects their submission and they can try again, but usually just go away and quit (I was told of one such case years ago).

1. Bureaucracy at its finest. Why use what you have when you can invent a brand new wheel? [rolleyes]

2. GCAB doesn't consider anything on its own. Mfrs have to submit info to be considered. Most aren't interested in dealing with MA at all. I seriously doubt that GCAB has ever rejected any gun submitted unless they didn't follow procedure and submit the correct info required. Last I knew they had nobody on that committee that had any technical competence to challenge an independent lab report. The target lists don't require testing, but have very specific documentation requirements. If a mfr doesn't follow them to a "t", GCAB rightfully rejects their submission and they can try again, but usually just go away and quit (I was told of one such case years ago).

There are a few who have shown a desire to sell guns here and have guns that would seem to easily meet the requirements at least at first glance.

• Match grade adjustable sights (easy)
  • 5" barrel (easy)
  • Documentation from a national organization (easy - Here's one example)
  • Any advertising or marketing materials sufficient to demonstrate that the firearm is solely sold for formal target shooting competition. (easy, and in many cases already done)
  • Target trigger (easy)
  • Custom or bull barrel (easy)
  • Custom ejection port (easy)
  • Custom feed ramp (easy)
  • Affidavit (easy)

That seems to be all they would need.... I'd love a p220 super match or a p226 X5..... (Sig are you listening?)

Last edited:
There are a few who have shown a desire to sell guns here and have guns that would seem to easily meet the requirements at least at first glance.

• Match grade adjustable sights (easy)
  • 5" barrel (easy)
  • Documentation from a national organization (easy - Here's one example)
  • Any advertising or marketing materials sufficient to demonstrate that the firearm is solely sold for formal target shooting competition. (easy, and in many cases already done)
  • Target trigger (easy)
  • Custom or bull barrel (easy)
  • Custom ejection port (easy)
  • Custom feed ramp (easy)
  • Affidavit (easy)

That seems to be all they would need.... I'd love a p220 super match or a p226 X5..... (Sig are you listening?)

Agreed, I suggest that those interested contact Sig directly (preferably find someone high up the food chain . . . Google for executives if need-be) and lobby them. I think this is the most effective technique and Sig is close enough to MA to perhaps have some legal beagles that will spend some time to understand our insane laws/regs.

This is great, but when I asked a facility in Holliston (to which I am a member) to receive a gun on the Olympic Competition Roster on their FFL from a Gunbroker auction, they refused. They acknowledged it is OK in MA, but they will not receive on that list. I even forwarded an email from Chief Glidden confirming they were OK. Went to local shop in Hudson MA, no problem. Another reason to support the local small businesses. Nice Walther GSP Expert .22LR.

This is great, but when I asked a facility in Holliston (to which I am a member) to receive a gun on the Olympic Competition Roster on their FFL from a Gunbroker auction, they refused.

The AG has taken the position that the presence of a pistol on the Target Roster (and, presumably, on the Olympic roster as well) does not constitute a finding that said pistol complies with the AG's regulations.

That being said, I am not aware of any adverse AG action against a dealer for selling a Target or Olympic roster pistol.

The dealer is making his own "risk call". (Would you offer the dealer a contract agreeing to pay all AG's penalties and related legal fees without limit if the AG does not like the fact that he sold you a Olympic roster pistol? If not, then you understand the dealer's risk situation).

Just find another dealer who will do the transfer.

email from Chief Glidden confirming they were OK
Chief Glidden is one of the foremost experts on MA gun laws but is in no position to warrant that the AG cannot assess a $5000 penalty under the relevant CMR. He's retired and no longer an agent of the state, so you can't whip out the entrapment by estoppel defense (that may not even apply to a civil regulatory violation)

Agreed, I suggest that those interested contact Sig directly (preferably find someone high up the food chain . . . Google for executives if need-be) and lobby them. I think this is the most effective technique and Sig is close enough to MA to perhaps have some legal beagles that will spend some time to understand our insane laws/regs.
There are attorneys in MA who will work for guns. In fact, it would not be all that difficult for Sig to get a contingency fee attorney who would accept payment in the form of one sample of every gun (s)he gets approved on the roster.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom