Olympic biathalon

whacko

NES Member
Anyone else watching it? The American competitor just blew it.......4 misses on the standing portion so 4 extra penalty laps. Pretty amazing sport......wish I could get my hands on one of those rifles to try!

Golf ball sized target at 50 meters (about 160 feet) after skiing a few kilometers. Damn thats hard core!

Used to do bike work for a fellow in Montague who took up playing that game.
Thinking I'll strap on the classic skis and take my Winchester 190 out for a spin around the yard if we ever get a big enough snow.

I love watching biathalon. I wish it was on more frequently. What a fascinating sport. Love those special purpose rifles, too.

Buddy of mine up in VT was into biathlon about ten years ago. There were a bunch of races in VT/NH. If you want to do biathlon it is happening nearby you just have to find the community.

NBCOlympics.com has a tab where you can look up the broadcast/streaming schedule for every event. The BBC and other foreign media should have similar pages as well.

Buddy of mine up in VT was into biathlon about ten years ago. There were a bunch of races in VT/NH. If you want to do biathlon it is happening nearby you just have to find the community.
The us Olympic team trains are camp Ethan Allan VT. It's actually a national guard training area......but the biathlon team trains there. Asphalt trail goes around the base......they use long roller blades to simulate skis in summer......and the range is right along the trail. Been up there with my guard unit a couple of times and there have been athletes using the trail and range.

It'd be neat if biathalon courses were all around the place. I imagine you can't throw a lutefisk in Norway without hitting one.

Watch the breathing as they are shooting. They make it look so easy but the breathing helps show the control they keep over their bodies. I'd really like to try this out some time.

I'd love to ssee what happens if I showed up to one of the meets with old wooden skis and a 1903 springfield slung and greeted them with "pull up your britches bitches"!

as with all Olympic shooting sports the gun is the biggest expense Biathlon - Nordic Marksman Inc.

only local place I can think of that would be able to help out and know what they are talking about is Larry's Guns in Grey ME

For such a specialized rifle, that doesn't look too bad, pricewise. Especially when we're talking Olympic quality shooters. I'd probably shrink my groups in half compared to my 10/22, but you can't polish a turd too much. For me, the money on a "precision" rifle isn't worth it - but these athletes can squeeze the accuracy out of them that the rifles are capable of.

I'd still like to try shooting one.

You'd think there would be something out in Western Mass somewhere. Imagine taking a closed landfill, putting in a track with shooting stations.

With enough interest, I bet there are some folks in Charlemont that would be up for opening a course. Could you get enough people using it is the issue. Already an XCski resort. Stump Sprouts.

I'd love to ssee what happens if I showed up to one of the meets with old wooden skis and a 1903 springfield slung and greeted them with "pull up your britches bitches"!

A lot of teams used real battle rifles well into 50-60s, Soviet team used Mosins ... yeah.

The us Olympic team trains are camp Ethan Allan VT. It's actually a national guard training area......but the biathlon team trains there. Asphalt trail goes around the base......they use long roller blades to simulate skis in summer......and the range is right along the trail. Been up there with my guard unit a couple of times and there have been athletes using the trail and range.
Correct, been there many times in my career. They also run the Army's winter/Summer phase Mountain Warfare School.

Streaming (both replays and live) and full schedule here:
Olympic Results and Live Scores | NBC Olympics

TV (NBC and NBCSN) Schedule here: Olympic Biathlon TV Listings

All times Eastern Time - Time are for LIVE events. (Replay times in parentheses)
Saturday 2/10 6:15am Women's 7.5km Sprint
Sunday 2/11 6:15am Men's 10km Sprint
Monday 2/12 5:10am Women's 10km Pursuit (NBCSN 12:45pm and 10pm, NBC 3pm)
Monday 2/12 7:00am Men's 12.5km Pursuit (NBCSN 12:45pm and 10pm, NBC 3pm)
Wednesday 2/14 6:05am Women's 15km Individual (NBCSN 10:30am)
Thursday 2/15 6:00am Men's 20km Individual (NBCSN 12:00pm)
Saturday 2/17 6:15am Women's 12.5km Mass Start (NBCSN 11:30am, NBC 3pm)
Sunday 2/18 6:15am Men's 15km Mass Start (NBCSN 12:00pm, NBC 3pm)
Tuesday 2/20 6:15am Mixed Relay (NBCSN 10:30am, NBC 3pm)
Thursday 2/22 6:15am Women's 4 x 6km Relay (NBCSN 5:20am, NBC 3pm)
Friday 2/23 6:15am Men's 4 x 7.5km Relay (NBCSN 8:00pm, NBC 3pm)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom