Olympic Arms Pre-Ban Mixed Review

Thatguy66

NES Member
I’m looking at a early Oly stop sign lower that I think I can get a good deal on. I’ve heard these lowers get a lot of negative talk however that seems to be mainly the cast lowers.

The lower I’m looking is a X23xx so from what I have found it’s early to mid 80s. Lettering is not raised so I think it maybe forged. Which to my understanding would be a good thing.

Appears thd model was originally a XM15A1

Anyone have any further input or further information on these?

They are fine for most people's use, as long as the pin holes and other critical areas are in good shape I would buy one for a fair price, don't over pay for it though. If you build it use anti-rotation pins for the trigger group and don't try to use the butt stock to pry a car door or open or hammer in fence posts and you should be fine.

I've got two of the Olympic Arms stop sign prebans with about 5k rnds through each......they work fine. As posted, just don't over pay........for anything.

Any idea whether their preban lowers were Mil-Spec? Or otherwise compatible with modern uppers? From what I have heard some may need front takedown pin adapter but if that’s all, it wouldn’t be a big deal to me.

Anyone have any info?

Any idea whether their preban lowers were Mil-Spec? Or otherwise compatible with modern uppers? From what I have heard some may need front takedown pin adapter but if that’s all, it wouldn’t be a big deal to me.

Anyone have any info?
Years ago I had a friend out in WA/OR that had worked for them. He was a Veteran and a huge AR guy on forums. We corresponded for years and twice we organized AR shoots out in WA when I was out there for Microsoft MVP conferences (this was in the late 1990s-2001 timeframe). According to him (who I believe), this company had no QC and the ARs had lots of problems that needed fixing after the sale. No way in hell that I'd ever touch one of them.

Years ago I had a friend out in WA/OR that had worked for them. He was a Veteran and a huge AR guy on forums. We corresponded for years and twice we organized AR shoots out in WA when I was out there for Microsoft MVP conferences (this was in the late 1990s-2001 timeframe). According to him (who I believe), this company had no QC and the ARs had lots of problems that needed fixing after the sale. No way in hell that I'd ever touch one of them.

That’s what I’ve been hearing.

Honestly, I’m starting to think I might just be better off taking the same money it would cost to buy a cheap pre94 and buying a decent pre-healey. Or just keep saving. This state man...

That’s what I’ve been hearing.

Honestly, I’m starting to think I might just be better off taking the same money it would cost to buy a cheap pre94 and buying a decent pre-healey. Or just keep saving. This state man...

if it's pre-94 and cheap then there's probably something wrong with it! those two things don't really go together here.

if it's pre-94 and cheap then there's probably something wrong with it! those two things don't really go together here.

It’s an out of state auction. But ya likely not getting many bids due to Oly’s reputation.

It’s an out of state auction. But ya likely not getting many bids due to Oly’s reputation.
as long as you have a FFL to do the transfer and the seller will ship , if its priced right and you have a inspection period it might be ok.
i have a few friends who picked up prebans while traveling and had them sent to FFL.
Out side the bannned states alot of these "preban" rifles are dads and grand dads old guns and priced as such.

Oly Arms aren't necessarily bad.

They are just inconsistent. I had one that was in spec. Further, the upper had a button rifled 5r stainless barrel and it was an absolute tack driver.

But conversely, I know people who have had nightmares with these guns. Both experiences are valid.

I would require a test period like others have said. One thing to do is install a lower parts kit in it. Make sure the trigger functions properly. Make sure the upper pins in place normally.

I've owned many pre-ban lowers over the years. I've found PWA and Bushmaster to be the best.

Anyone have any info?

I think you are mistaking Olympic Arms with Colt. Colt used two different sized screws instead of a front pin.

Not true at all. People sell for a lot of reasons. They have moved to a free state. They just realized these things are worth $1000. Whatever.

Back
Top Bottom