• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Olympians 1911 build

Greg Derr

Gun Smith
Dealer
NES Member
This is a bullseye 1911 build for two time pistol Olympian and triple distinquished shooter Ben A. The frame and slide are Caspian with a Kart NM barrel. The internals are E2 ,hammer, sear, disconnector. Trigger is a crisp 3.5# per NRA rules. The grip safety is EGW with a Colt thumb safety. The trigger is Greider. Crystal Thackerson did a great job on the special grips. The pistol is topped with an Al Marvel scope mount and an Ultradot 1 inch scope. Finish is a brushed hard chrome lower with hot blue upper. I hope Ben hammers out some great scores with the gun.

Olympic%20gd%200601116-01_zpsjzqsfovx.jpg

Olympic%20gd%200601116-03_zpsjoovzqso.jpg

OlympicT%20gd%200601116-05_zpsbpcvmxei.jpg

OlympicT%20gd%200601116-04_zpsynuaj0nx.jpg

Olympic%20gd%200601116-02_zpskvmnavln.jpg

Drool.....

Greg - why do bullseye 45's tend to have the scope mounted to the slide rather than the frame of the gun?

Rob, mounting the scope on the slide is for two reasons I am told. One is that the barrel locks up on the slide, not the frame. Thus it's more accurate, The other is that it slows the slide down in recoil. I really think it's a combination of both. You can get some light loads with a light recoil spring. Most of the top shooters run with the slide mounted scope. Some makers like LesBaer only sell frame mounts. From a manufacturing point its easier since there is no ammo tuning with the frame mount, the slide runs as normal. The US Army and US marine Corps teams run slide mounts, if anyone has the desire to get the best performance out of a 1911 it is them I guess.

Back
Top Bottom