Older stock shells?

I just got some shells from the store and given the ammo situation, the shelves had been empty most places I’ve been. I’ve not seen these particular box designs before, so just curious if they’re older stock, I actually kind of like the boxes compared to the ones I’m more familiar with haha.

Attachments

• 284A6E3D-60B1-416A-8A1D-8BBEC347FB45.jpeg
    284A6E3D-60B1-416A-8A1D-8BBEC347FB45.jpeg
    111 KB · Views: 59
Be careful buying older ammo from gun stores. I've seen FFLs sell old handloads in old boxes. Sometimes a FFL will sell his own handloads this way or the FFL buys up handloaded ammo from an estate or a consignor. Either way, shooting someone else's handloads might not go well.

I would check the boxes for signs of being opened and closed. Look inside the box for anything unusual. Check the ammo over carefully. If you think anything is fishy, don't shoot the ammo and dispose of it so no one else can shoot it.

Be careful buying older ammo from gun stores. I've seen FFLs sell old handloads in old boxes. Sometimes a FFL will sell his own handloads this way or the FFL buys up handloaded ammo from an estate or a consignor. Either way, shooting someone else's handloads might not go well.

I would check the boxes for signs of being opened and closed. Look inside the box for anything unusual. Check the ammo over carefully. If you think anything is fishy, don't shoot the ammo and dispose of it so no one else can shoot it.

Good to keep an eye on, never thought of that, I'll look over all the shells before I use them.

In the case of center fire ammo, why not pull it apart and reload it so you know what the load is, short of knowing what powder was used. A crappy option for something you may have paid full price for, but far better than throwing out, espicially for odd ball or obsolete chamberings.

There are two FFL's right near me who sell their own loads. Both of them require you to give them your spent cases.

Back
Top Bottom