older Colt Agent ok for pocket carry?

I have an older Colt Agent that I am considering for pocket carry. It's pretty lclose in size and wieght to an aluminum J frame, and it holds 6 rounds, but I have a few concerns for pocket carry:
1)It's old. The hammer & firing pin is one piece. No safety.[thinking]
2)The hammer sticks out quite a bit.
3).38 spl only, so no +p or .357.
4)I don't think a crimson trace grip would be an option.
5)Seems like a huge disparity between the sa and da trigger pull.

I could buy a new 642 for under $700 that wouldn't have any of these problems, but that's $700 more than the Agent.....

Any thoughts?

If the gun is in good condition you can always have a good gunsmith make the thing DAO, cut the stupid hammer tang thing off and polish it over. No point in single action in a j-frame, anyways.

-Mike

1. Old. Just because it's old does not make it any less effective than the day it left the factory. No safety? That Colt mechanism was perfected for safe carry of all 6 rounds before I was born, refer back to old.
2. The hammer can be problematic but Colt hammer shrouds can be found and voila! No snagging of the hammer.
3. 25 million people next door in New York can't carry anything. A .38 would look good
4. You can still hit without high tech.
5. Welcome to the world of Colt. You have a very nice gun.

I carry a S&W Model 37 some times in my front pocket. Get a good pocket holster and when you go to pull it out, put your thumb against the back of the hammer.

I'll trade you my brand new 340PD, .357 magnum for your Colt right now. =)

Seriously dude, nice gun!

I wouldn't mutilate that old Colt, even though I think the S&W double action is much better. Carry it,retire it or sell it and buy what you want.

The $700 price was assuming buying one with crimson trace grips.
You guys are making me feel better about my original plan to just carry the agent.
So I don't have to worry about a hammer fired revolver resting on a full chamber then?

Last edited:
So I don't have to worry about a hammer fired revolver resting on a full chamber then?
Generally not with modern guns (the DS has a hammer block, making it safe to carry with all 6 cylinders occupied). Even so, once a safety warning is in a manual it becomes very difficult to convince corporate attorneys to remove it. My 1982ish vintage Python carries the warning about "leaving a chamber empty". This is necessary on some older single actions where the firing pin would make contact with the primer if the hammer were hit. In the old days one would leave a $20 in that chamber to be used as burial money if the owner lost a gunfight.

Back
Top Bottom