• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Old Tech" or "New Tech"? Buying a new gun. Poll

CZ Rami or Compact 9mm 1911

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have a chance to buy a 9mm compact 1911 tomorrow, or a CZ 2075 Rami. I keep thinking CZ for reliability, but 1911 for the availability of holsters, parts, sight choices. Mags for both are readily available, so that is not a consideration. I've narrowed it down to those two, based on weight, size and "carry-ability". Plenty of polymers already, so sticking with something metal framed for this one. (Budget does not allow for both, or I'd do that).

Which one would you pick, and why would you choose that one?

Last edited:
I’m not a huge 1911 fan...But between the two options listed I’d go with a 1911. For a lot of the reasons you suggest.

I do like your idea of getting both. You could always buy both and then sell the one you don’t care for

I have a chance to buy a 9mm compact 1911 tomorrow, or a CZ 2075 Rami. I keep thinking CZ for reliability, but 1911 for the availability of holsters, parts, sight choices. Mags for both are readily available, so that is not a consideration. I've narrowed it down to those two, based on weight, size and "carry-ability". Plenty of polymers already, so sticking with something metal framed for this one. (Budget does not allow for both, or I'd do that).

Which one would you pick, and why would you choose that one?

Neither, but if you forced me there is no f***ing way I'm picking a 9mm 1911. [rofl] Never in a million years.

RAMI hands down, in that case. It's not even a contest. There is way too much bullshit/dumpster fire problems around 9mm 1911s, especially smaller ones. Vomit land.

What 9mm 1911 compact? I have a SA 1911 EMP Champion Concealed Carry Contour and that is the only 9 mm 1911 I would consider, mostly because it isn’t “really” a 1911 but is a 9mm designed along the lines of a 1911. Almost none of the EMP parts are interchangeable with a “true” 1911. The normal 1911 platform was designed around the .45 acp and you end up with a bunch of compromises when you re-chamber it for 9 mm. Not that you can’t make a 9 mm 1911 work, it just is unnatural. If I was going 9 mm I would go with something that was designed from the get go for 9 mm. Given your options, I’d go with the Rami. Oh, and I have 5 “true" 1911s in .45 acp and one bastard in 10 mm. I must admit the 10 mm runs pretty well, as does the EMP.

Out of the 2 listed, CZ

Have both in full size.
Traded or sold off most of my 1911's except for one.
Both CZ's seems to fit better in my mitt. Seems to have been more reliable even as a semi-race gun than old slab sides.

Nothing wrong with 1911's. Given those 2 options, that's where I sit.

I love czs. But I don't like the rami. It's clunky to me. And if it's the polymer frame I'd never consider it since they were a disaster. I also like 1911s. My STI 9mm is a very reliable gun. I shot a bunch of idpa and uspsa with it but always with rn handloads. I wouldn't hesitate to carry a 1911 if it was a reliable as that with jhp.

Last edited:
Just do a search of
My compact 1911 does not x,y,z
Then do the CZ
Just by what I have seen posted here on NES
Compact 1911 seems to have its share of issues.
Dont see much about the CZ or the model you list. That could be good or bad.
If it helps i have 2 surplus cz 82 always goes bang.

Is it just those 2 because that's what is available to you? I'd rather have a 75 Compact or P01 from CZ for compacts.

I'll go against the grain here for more concealability, I'd go with a 1911 compact just because it's thinner.

How is it new tech vs old tech... a cz is 50 years old at this point lol...

It's really old tech vs old tech

I have no experience with a compact 1911 but I did carry a Rami for a few years. I really liked it. It was a bit snappy but not too bad. I put new tritium night sigts on it and some LOK grips. It was quite accurate for its size and very reliable. The downside was it was its weight and it was quite wide so I carried OWB.

Neither, but I'd pick the 1911 over the Rami b/c I despise DA/SA for carry. I'm not sure if I even OWN a DA/SA anymore. No. I've got a single-stack and double-stack Makarov. And a PPK. Damn. I gotta get rid of some guns. ROFL!!!

Not that my opinion matters but I have been going the other way with regards to the 1911, More of my semi's are 1911s now than anything else I have and for the past six months or so my EDC has been a Ruger 9mm commander, it's gobbled up everything I have fed it including the Sig 124gr V-crowns its loaded with without a hiccup.

The choices I've found in 9mm 1911 are 1) Ruger Officer's or 2) Springfield Range Officer Compact. I like both because they have the "officer" length grip but will take any "standard" 1911 mag in 9mm. The Rami since it can also accept larger magazines. Final choices came down to the size and weight. I handled a CZ 75 Compact but it's way too large and heavy for carry (yes, I've tried "good" holsters, but no matter how good the holster/belt, when it drags your pants to your knees, not good.) I've had enough polymer in the last 20 years that I prefer a little more weight because I do almost as much shooting as I do carrying. The unloaded weight range on these (25/27/29oz) makes them viable.

The comments about reliability in "OG" designs (for .45) converted to 9mm were the biggest hold up. I looked at EMP's but keep reading a lot of comments about the ejectors loosening up.

The choices I've found in 9mm 1911 are 1) Ruger Officer's or 2) Springfield Range Officer Compact. I like both because they have the "officer" length grip but will take any "standard" 1911 mag in 9mm. The Rami since it can also accept larger magazines. Final choices came down to the size and weight. I handled a CZ 75 Compact but it's way too large and heavy for carry (yes, I've tried "good" holsters, but no matter how good the holster/belt, when it drags your pants to your knees, not good.) I've had enough polymer in the last 20 years that I prefer a little more weight because I do almost as much shooting as I do carrying. The unloaded weight range on these (25/27/29oz) makes them viable.
What about the CZ PCR? It's like a CZ75 compact but lighter.

I'm not a fan of the Decocker idea. I don't mind shooting DA for the first shot, but like the option (since it's offered) of cocked & locked.
Fair enough. I'm a proponent of carrying in only one "method."
I would much prefer no safety so DA/SA and/or striker-fired is really the only way I'll ever carry. For me personally cocked and locked is asking for trouble, but plenty of people obviously do it without issue.
When I've carried my Makarov I certainly haven't used the safety.

Could live with the decocker, I suppose. But then I'm back to the size. And as everyone on NES knows, size matters!
That's part of the reason why I don't usually give carry recommendations, unless I belabor the point that what I recommend works for me.

I think "rent a bunch of guns you're interested in" is the proper advice, because plenty of guns I like others don't, and plenty of guns people love I loathe (like the Shield).
Different tolerances for size/weight/manual of arms means everyone needs to make their own decision.

My first carry gun was a Sig P226. No problems carrying it, other than it did get a bit heavy on a long day. But 100% doable for me.
The older I get, the more I prefer larger carry guns.

The CZ RAMI is a very well made reliable gun. It's pretty wide as it can accept a double stack high-capacity magazine. My only complaint is that at least for me it is almost impossible to manipulate the slide catch with your shooting thumb due to its placement on the frame. When reloading I use both hands (support hand to operate and release the slide).
For a carry gun you might want to look at a Sig Sauer P365 XL. I believe in "free" states you can get a 15-round magazine which gives you a total of 16 rounds in the gun. The XL is light, slim and very reliable.

Which is why everyone on NES carries a .380, particularly as a bear gun.
I already do. Now, if I had cases of .380 to shoot instead of cases of 9mm, I might just stick with that.
The CZ RAMI is a very well made reliable gun. It's pretty wide as it can accept a double stack high-capacity magazine. My only complaint is that at least for me it is almost impossible to manipulate the slide catch with your shooting thumb due to its placement on the frame. When reloading I use both hands (support hand to operate and release the slide).
For a carry gun you might want to look at a Sig Sauer P365 XL. I believe in "free" states you can get a 15-round magazine which gives you a total of 16 rounds in the gun. The XL is light, slim and very reliable.
Had a P365. Had several Glocks. No more polymer. I do use the hand-on-slide to release method. It's what I was trained in. Instructor at NRA Range Officer course yelled at me. "We don't do that. We use the slide release". Well, after 20 years, I do.
Love the Rami. It is a bit chunky but not a big deal for me. Although honestly, when I carry, its more often my "old-tech" CZ82.

Also, note that it appears the Rami has been discontinued:

Rami is D/C'd. Still quite a few out there, though.

What about the CZ PCR? It's like a CZ75 compact but lighter.

Or a Sig P365.

Just because every thread like this needs 80 guys recommending a completely different gun.

Have you considered a semi-auto shotgun instead??? That's very important to own. ;)

Back
Top Bottom