Old SXS shotgun trash or treasure?

Hi everyone, Im looking for some recommendations and advice.

So I recently picked up and old spanish side by side shotgun for $60. It is definitely in rough shape, so I figure worst case scenario I could hang it on my wall or something. I decided to take it to my local gunsmith just for shits and gigs and I was actually surprised by what he said. He informed me that stock alone was most likely worth $300-$400 online, and that if i got everything repaired the gun as a whole would be worth much more. He absolutely recommended getting it refurbished but it is not something that he can do. He also said that it could cost anywhere from $200-$600. For repairs I know that the ribs need to be resoldered and the barrels reblued, and I'm sure there is more that can be done. I tried doing a little research online but I honestly do not know enough about it to make a decent search. There are a bunch of markings on it and I really don't know what's what. Some of them being, Sarasquet, sterlingworth's, and stoeger arms. Any information about the gun would be helpful. I'll post some photos below.

My actual questions are,

Do you think its worth it to get it fixed up?

Any idea on the year?

Does anyone know of any gunsmiths in the area that work on vintage side by sides?

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• 20200715_182633.jpg
    20200715_182633.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200715_184639.jpg
    20200715_184639.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200715_182520.jpg
    20200715_182520.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200715_182457.jpg
    20200715_182457.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200715_182449.jpg
    20200715_182449.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200715_182447.jpg
    20200715_182447.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200715_182432.jpg
    20200715_182432.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200715_182427.jpg
    20200715_182427.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200715_182419.jpg
    20200715_182419.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200715_182410.jpg
    20200715_182410.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200715_182401.jpg
    20200715_182401.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200715_182348.jpg
    20200715_182348.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20200715_182344.jpg
    20200715_182344.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 13
1) do you have the money to do it?

2) if you did it and were never able to get your money back how would you feel?

3) How far money wise are you willing to go?

4) once it is all sorted out will you shoot it or will it be a safe queen?

Define "the area", you don't have your location publicly listed.

The gun's pretty rough. Stoeger was the importer of the gun. Spanish gunmakers churned out inexpensive, value guns around the 1920s-1970s. Spanish guns are undergoing something of a renaissance in desirability now because they represent an inexpensive gateway into old school, old world craftmanship. I don't know enough about Spanish guns to ID the proof marks.

If someone on here can't ID what the gun precisely is, you might want to ask on Shotgun World:

Shotgunworld.com • Index page

Mitch Schultz of Gunsmithing, Ltd. in Southport, CT is a good gunsmith who would likely be able to help you out. Currently, he doesn't have that long of a turnaround time. He doesn't have a website, so my suggestion would be to go down to his shop in person with the gun and see what he says. His address, hours, and contact info are on Google Maps.

Another option would be Cole's in Maine. That would likely be a longer drive for most people. If Cole's is closer, then they'd be a good choice, too.

https://colegun.com/gunsmithing/

I personally would sell that gun to a gunsmith or someone who wanted a project unless you're trying to use the gun for upland hunting and want to keep the gun going. I don't think that you'll get your money back by fixing up the gun. I think that having the gun refinished would be more expensive than what you'll sell it for. But that's my opinion and I'm not a gunsmith nor a gun store owner.

1) do you have the money to do it?

2) if you did it and were never able to get your money back how would you feel?

3) How far money wise are you willing to go?

4) once it is all sorted out will you shoot it or will it be a safe queen?

I would be willing to put in about $300 into it as of now but thats all the disposable money I have right now. I think that anything more than that i would be pretty bumbed out not getting my money back. (Unless the value increased to reflect or exceed that amount). I would definitely use it now and then but would ultimately turn into a safe queen.

Define "the area", you don't have your location publicly listed.

The gun's pretty rough. Stoeger was the importer of the gun. Spanish gunmakers churned out inexpensive, value guns around the 1920s-1970s. Spanish guns are undergoing something of a renaissance in desirability now because they represent an inexpensive gateway into old school, old world craftmanship. I don't know enough about Spanish guns to ID the proof marks.

If someone on here can't ID what the gun precisely is, you might want to ask on Shotgun World:

Shotgunworld.com • Index page

Mitch Schultz of Gunsmithing, Ltd. in Southport, CT is a good gunsmith who would likely be able to help you out. Currently, he doesn't have that long of a turnaround time. He doesn't have a website, so my suggestion would be to go down to his shop in person with the gun and see what he says. His address, hours, and contact info are on Google Maps.

Another option would be Cole's in Maine. That would likely be a longer drive for most people. If Cole's is closer, then they'd be a good choice, too.

https://colegun.com/gunsmithing/

I personally would sell that gun to a gunsmith or someone who wanted a project unless you're trying to use the gun for upland hunting and want to keep the gun going. I don't think that you'll get your money back by fixing up the gun. I think that having the gun refinished would be more expensive than what you'll sell it for. But that's my opinion and I'm not a gunsmith nor a gun store owner.

I'm located in the haverhill mass area. I appreciate all the great info and resources. I will definitely be looking into them.

Give Turnbull a call. You'll get an honest answer.

I would be willing to put in about $300 into it as of now but thats all the disposable money I have right now. I think that anything more than that i would be pretty bumbed out not getting my money back. (Unless the value increased to reflect or exceed that amount). I would definitely use it now and then but would ultimately turn into a safe queen.

Like @watchman and @appraiser said, its a Sarasqueta. I don't think you'll get all the work done necessary for $300 or less. You may be able to sell the gun for $600-700 after the work's done, but that's a big may.

If the gun's just going to live in a safe, and you don't have the funds to pay whatever's necessary to get the gun fixed properly, then I'd sell it on here or Gunbroker or at your gun club. Something like a penny auction with a $200-300 reserve might be a good idea.

Like @watchman and @appraiser said, its a Sarasqueta. I don't think you'll get all the work done necessary for $300 or less. You may be able to sell the gun for $600-700 after the work's done, but that's a big may.

If the gun's just going to live in a safe, and you don't have the funds to pay whatever's necessary to get the gun fixed properly, then I'd sell it on here or Gunbroker or at your gun club. Something like a penny auction with a $200-300 reserve might be a good idea.

Solid advice I appreciate it.

I would spend the money to have the ribs soldered and do a little home bluing on those areas just to protect it, but that is the extent of it.

While it was at the Smith I'd have them look it over for safety/functionality and barrel condition.

No use of spending any money on it if the barrel is shot out of it,

I would spend the money to have the ribs soldered and do a little home bluing on those areas just to protect it, but that is the extent of it.

While it was at the Smith I'd have them look it over for safety/functionality and barrel condition.

No use of spending any money on it if the barrel is shot out of it,

Thats not a bad idea, I did watch a couple youtube videos on the bluing and it seemed simple enough. Could be the perfect happy medium solution I need here.

Sarasqueta is a decent Spanish sxs
You can find ones in good shape for $400-$550 if you have the money fix it up and shoot it if not sell it for parts.

Paying someone to resolder and rust blue would cost more than the gun is worth as it’s all labor and pretty time consuming. Other typical issues are lockup problems like being off face.

If you want to unload it, I do those repairs on my own guns and would be interested in another project.

If you have mechanical abilities and the desire, you could try these repairs yourself. Resoldering is just a bigger, messier and more finicky plumbing sweatsoldering job.

Look up Larry Potterfield’s MidwayUSA series on YouTube, he shows you what is involved with these kinds of repairs.

What’s nice is that unless you REALLY mess up, botched rib and bluing attempts can be un-done and tried again.

Not to hijack but I have an old double barrel 10ga that I would love more information on and not sure where I can go to get it. I am also near haverhill if theres a local shop that could tell me or if there's a site (here or anywhere else) that could give me more info

Paying someone to resolder and rust blue would cost more than the gun is worth as it’s all labor and pretty time consuming. Other typical issues are lockup problems like being off face.

If you want to unload it, I do those repairs on my own guns and would be interested in another project.

If you have mechanical abilities and the desire, you could try these repairs yourself. Resoldering is just a bigger, messier and more finicky plumbing sweatsoldering job.

Look up Larry Potterfield’s MidwayUSA series on YouTube, he shows you what is involved with these kinds of repairs.

What’s nice is that unless you REALLY mess up, botched rib and bluing attempts can be un-done and tried again.

I was considering this but was worried about messing it up. I might give it a go if it can be undone. Appreciate the response. Thanks

Not to hijack but I have an old double barrel 10ga that I would love more information on and not sure where I can go to get it. I am also near haverhill if theres a local shop that could tell me or if there's a site (here or anywhere else) that could give me more info

Post a thread with pictures of all the markings. If we can't figure it out, there's Shotgun World, which I linked to in post no. 4.

10-gauge stopped being popular with the end of the "market hunter" era around 1910-1920. 10-gauge was more popular during the black powder era, when a bigger bore meant more shot on target. Smokeless powder made 12-gauge most people's gauge of choice, which killed off the 10 until its resurgence in the 1980s-90s and the requirement for steel shot with waterfowl.

Meaning, your gun's likely pre-1900.

I might give it a go if it can be undone. Appreciate the response.

I would never recommend an amateur attempt at resoldering a rib.

I noticed a mark on the left side of the butt stock, just behind the trigger guard. Is that a blemish or a crack?
I noticed the firing pin extends beyond the receiver with the fore end removed. That is not right. Could be a number of problem(s).
The engraving is not high end and not bottom dollar either.
It is a relatively new gun because of the 2 3/4" chambers. I'd guess at a late 40's or 50's manufacturer date.

Resoldering that rib will effect the point of aim for that barrel. It appears that the barrel has, "sprung" a bit from the rib. This is for a professional to repair.

If it were mine, I'd talk to some of the names suggested here for a wide ball park on repair costs. My estimate would bring that repair up to or maybe a bit higher than what you could recover. I suspect well more than your $300 that you want to pay out. As an example, just price a reblue for a set of barrels. Reblueing needs a polish prior to the blue.

My advice? Hang it on the wall but remember what state you live in. At a point in the future, decide if you want to spend the money.

...It is a relatively new gun because of the 2 3/4" chambers. I'd guess at a late 40's or 50's manufacturer date...

I took a second look at the proof marks by downloading the fourth picture and rotating it so the stamps were right-side up for reading purposes and did some Googling: his gun has what I think is an "H1" date code, which would be 1962.

Victor Sarasqueta SxS?????

Also, his chokes are "17.3 / 18.5" and "17.8 / 18.5". 17.3mm is 0.6811", or somewhere around an "Extra Full" choke, and 17.8mm is 0.7007", or a "Light Full." 18.5mm is 0.7283". Of course, those are nominal chokes, and who knows if someone's opened the gun up since 1962. Very possible considering how tight of restrictions those would be.

Weld it shut and hang it on the wall. Enjoy the view and save your money.

I would at least try to sell the gun first. Welding the gun shut would be a pain in the ass to remedy once OP dies and leaves the guns to someone to deal with. Probably would seal the gun's fate to being scrapped or turned in to the police.

Weld it shut and hang it on the wall. Enjoy the view and save your money.
if it was a more ratty rusty example maybe weld it up. Thats a older stoger not really like the $400 pos benelli is putting out these days.

Like most hobbies, items are worth much more to a collector in "as is" condition, I along with lots of others would never touch an item that was "restored". Let the end guy/collector do the restore.

Back
Top Bottom