Old style single action revolvers - what are the options in Mass?

wheelgun

NES Member
I've always had an interest in old style single action revolvers. But in Mass it seems the only "approved" supplier is Ruger. Their Vaquero is the closest thing to what I'd like, but not my first choice. I searched the classifieds but didn't find much. Are there any other options? I'd really like a Single Action Army replica like the ones made by USFA. Their web page lists two dealers in Mass, but since none of their products are on the "approved" list I assume this is just a pipe dream?

ETA: This thing is beautiful:

SAA-5.5.jpg

Last edited:
Their SAA's are exquisite.
The very finest 1873 Peacemaker replicas ever made.
I saw a few at the Springfield show about 6 or 7 years ago, some of the deepest droolworthy bluing I've ever seen anywhere, but they weren't approved for sale in Mass.

I love this one they made for Charleton Heston.
The fire blue on the screw heads just jumps out at you.
I can imagine how much it's worth.

ch_gun.jpg

Their SAA's are exquisite.
The very finest 1873 Peacemaker replicas ever made.
I saw a few at the Springfield show about 6 or 7 years ago, some of the deepest droolworthy bluing I've ever seen anywhere, but they weren't approved for sale in Mass.

I love this one they made for Charleton Heston.
The fire blue on the screw heads just jumps out at you.
I can imagine how much it's worth.

ch_gun.jpg

homer-simpson-drooling-261x300.jpg

You are limited to Rugers in Mass for new guns. For used you might find a Colt or Uberti. USFA is in a death spiral. Doug is a nice guy and had a good solid demand for his Rodeo models which sold very well for Cowboy Action Shooting and was their bread and butter, but he took his eye off the ball and shifted production to more high dollar reproductions.

If you truly like the Colts and want a Colt, you're not going to be happy unless you have a Colt. You will need to find one used and pay a lot of money for it. The Ruger is not an old style SAA and does not look or function like one.

If you truly like the Colts and want a Colt, you're not going to be happy unless you have a Colt. You will need to find one used and pay a lot of money for it. The Ruger is not an old style SAA and does not look or function like one.

+1 to this. Also get a C&R license. All Colt 2nd generations are C&R OK. Plus some commemoratives and anything over 50 years old.

+1 to this. Also get a C&R license. All Colt 2nd generations are C&R OK. Plus some commemoratives and anything over 50 years old.

Good point on the C&R. Wow, I can't believe all 2nd gen Colts are C&R now. I must be getting old...

I have a Ruger 50th Anniversary 357 Blackhawk with a 4 5/8 inch barrel. It is a lot of fun to shoot with both 357 & 38 special and it built like a tank. It's my favorite wheel gun to shoot. Got it several years ago from a member on the Ruger Forum for under $400 new.

You can go a few years older, and buy a blackpowder reproduction. I have an 1851 Navy repro that is a ton of fun to shoot, and plan to add a Dragoon repro soon. You can order those through the mail via Dixie Gun Works.

Nothing as beautiful as the two above, though!

This is so unbelievably sad (that it is so difficult to buy)... [sad2] Sorry, trying not to crap up the thread with politics, I failed... Double Plus Bad...

Buy whatever you want. Nothing is stopping you. MA compliance is B.S. and nothing you need to concern yourself with.

Back
Top Bottom