• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Done.

92FS or M&P 2.0 FS

• Total voters
so when are you picking up the Beretta?
Depending on what the dentist gets out of me tomorrow, on Saturday. They underestimated the other day. If they over-charge again tomorrow, no guns for me!
Is the Beretta really “Old School”? I remember when they were new. He’ll I remember seeing Army MPs wearing 1911s and .38s.

Bah. This poll is like “would you prefer to use a cheese grater to make a fleshlight or dildo?”

I guess I’d take the Beretta. But I’d rather have a choice of anything better than those two.
I remember when they were new, too. Top shooter on our Guard pistol team demo'd one for us. Said they were replacing our 1911's. We thought it was cool, at the time.

First two guns I handed down to my Kid when he got his LTC were a 1911 and a Beretta 92. Told him you really don't need anything else, unless you want to get into wheelguns.
And you may want a Glock full size at some point.

I don’t usually go off script for these kind of polls, but out of those two I’d pick neither. You can stay well within the $ parameter with a brand new Canik. Hands down better than both of those and will retain more resale value into the future.

“These two guns both kind of suck but the cost is good so which one will suck less?” is a sure sign you’re heading into skinflint territory.

People who buy Glerks knowing the stock trigger has sucked for the last 40 years and still complain about it instead of just swapping it out for a better trigger. The mental gymnastics involved is like a concrete wall that blocks rational thought past like 10.00 dollars or pulling rounds out of dud cans because it’s free ammo.

I don’t usually go off script for these kind of polls, but out of those two I’d pick neither. You can stay well within the $ parameter with a brand new Canik. Hands down better than both of those and will retain more resale value into the future.

“These two guns both kind of suck but the cost is good so which one will suck less?” is a sure sign you’re heading into skinflint territory.

People who buy Glerks knowing the stock trigger has sucked for the last 40 years and still complain about it instead of just swapping it out for a better trigger. The mental gymnastics involved is like a concrete wall that blocks rational thought past like 10.00 dollars or pulling rounds out of dud cans because it’s free ammo.
I've bought "Glerks" because they "werks". Mags are cheap and plentiful. Holsters, accessories are everywhere. No one can agree on what's a better aftermarket trigger, and by the time you spend extra for trigger, connector, and any work (I. e. polishing) you could have just bought a better gun to start. Canik??? Why would anyone pay as much for a Turkish knock off, with expensive and limited magazines?

What someone does need to produce is a gun that uses Glock pattern mags, with a better out -of-the-box trigger like the P365/P320, and a common-pattern slide cut for sights if you want to upgrade them.

I've bought "Glerks" because they "werks". Mags are cheap and plentiful. Holsters, accessories are everywhere. No one can agree on what's a better aftermarket trigger, and by the time you spend extra for trigger, connector, and any work (I. e. polishing) you could have just bought a better gun to start.
I disagree. For a work horse type pistol any decent aftermarket trigger will make it a better shooting experience all around without all the grit and trigger slap for under 100.00.
Canik??? Why would anyone pay as much for a Turkish knock off, with expensive and limited magazines?
Caniks out of the box have fantastic factory triggers, they eat anything and they’re dirt cheap. I only mentioned them because I’d take one over either of the two choices listed and for less money.

Caniks out of the box have fantastic factory triggers, they eat anything and they’re dirt cheap
the prejudice here - on this market - is that if it`s cheap, it cannot be good. canik should have rebranded itself, boost price 3x fold and then sell here as pancakes.

I voted Beretta because Beretta over Smith any day and the 92 series is ridiculously easy to shoot well.

but....Home defense?

Which one can you put a light on? Not a 92FS-you'll need a different model like M9A3/4. That leaves you with the M&P.

I would buy a G17 as their 9mm mags are compatible across a wide range of pistols, holsters are everywhere, and they'll accept a light.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the 92 conceals quite well OWB.

Personally, I dislike them both. But that is my opinion. Part of me thinks about picking up a 92, simply because I carried one for so many years. But then I remember how awful that double action trigger is. Also the military drills of fire, safety on, safety off, fire. And all the years of hate come back.
That said, handle both, and buy what you like. I went from H&K USP to a M&P ( which I’d rather have ass cancer than own again) to Glocks, and then to wheelguns. I carry a sig M11a1, but when I hike I carry a GP100. Your experience will be different. Between the two you ask, I’d do the M92 out of just nostalgia.

? The Beretta has a massive grip. Female service members often had a hard time with it.
Must have been Army or Air Force. Apparently Navy women had no problem gripping something so big. [smile]
I voted Beretta because Beretta over Smith any day and the 92 series is ridiculously easy to shoot well.

but....Home defense?

Which one can you put a light on? Not a 92FS-you'll need a different model like M9A3/4. That leaves you with the M&P.

I would buy a G17 as their 9mm mags are compatible across a wide range of pistols, holsters are everywhere, and they'll accept a light.

Also, contrary to popular belief, the 92 conceals quite well OWB.
I don't use a weapon mounted light. Separate hand, away from my body. Just my training. It works for me. Concealing the size isn't the issue. It's the weight (even a loaded G19/P320 kills my back - in a good IWB holster). OWB is fine - with a duty belt to spread the weight of gun, mags, etc. out.
Personally, I dislike them both. But that is my opinion. Part of me thinks about picking up a 92, simply because I carried one for so many years. But then I remember how awful that double action trigger is. Also the military drills of fire, safety on, safety off, fire. And all the years of hate come back.
That said, handle both, and buy what you like. I went from H&K USP to a M&P ( which I’d rather have ass cancer than own again) to Glocks, and then to wheelguns. I carry a sig M11a1, but when I hike I carry a GP100. Your experience will be different. Between the two you ask, I’d do the M92 out of just nostalgia.
We used 1911's. the Beretta was promised to us, but never came. I never had to carry one in any condition other than I wanted. (If I had to carry a 1911 in actual combat, I sure as $h*t wouldn't have carried it with an empty chamber, as I've been told the Military wanted).

Why limit yourself with an fs, but take all the options of a newer m&p?

Being a beretta owner, if I were to only own 1 92, itd be a 92x centurion.
Pic rail and two mount from factory equals a win win. And I believe all newer guns are a vertec grip

But I have multiple and plan on more.

the prejudice here - on this market - is that if it`s cheap, it cannot be good. canik should have rebranded itself, boost price 3x fold and then sell here as pancakes.
Reminder that it costs glock something like $30 to manufacture a pistol.

I have a 92FS, the 92's are flawless cycling handguns regardless of bullet profile. Feel a little "fat" in the hands IMO. but guys with big hands / long fingers will like the grip girth. My only gripe is the intrusive decock levers , if your a index finger and thumb slingshot into battery type shooter the rear of the slide is painfull to manipulate the slide.

FYI when your ready to so a FULL dissasembly and cleaning on a 92, get ready to let the F Bombs fly cause 92's SUCK BALLS performing a full dissasembly. Watch some YT vids FIRST befor dissasembly or you WILL have tiny springs and detents flying across your shop. (good luck getting in touch with Beretta CS for replacement parts , took 2 months for Beretta to reply to an email when I needed the blocking bar spring. They are a great gun for not a lot of money.

Last edited:
There's no f****** way I would ever take a stock 92fs over a stock gen 3 Glock no f****** way never ever in a billion years. F*** that Seer creep it just gets in your brain and it screws up your shooting. I didn't realize it until I had owned a 92fs for a while and then a friend of mine had the same gun and it has the same f****** s***** trigger in it. Blech.

I have a 92X Centurion now, though, and it's decent.... but it makes 92fs look like doodoo. 🤣
But how do you really feel…?

M&P - modern technology, capacity, low carry weight, aftermarket trigger if you want. Best option of the two.

92 is reliable but heavy, clunky and the grip is too fat. Big and heavy all for a 9mm - why?

"sear creep?" i didn't even know that could happen
Clear a 92. Cock the hammer/put it in SA..... take up the slack in the trigger till you hit a wall. This wall is squishy. There's a perceptible amount of trigger movement post slack until the sear / hammer breaks. Its weird. It feels weird. Like every sear has some of this but in an unmodified 92FS it's very perceptible.

Clear a 92. Cock the hammer/put it in SA..... take up the slack in the trigger till you hit a wall. This wall is squishy. There's a perceptible amount of trigger movement post slack until the sear / hammer breaks. Its weird. It feels weird. Like every sear has some of this but in an unmodified 92FS it's very perceptible.
haha this makes me so uncomfortable

Back
Top Bottom