• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old Scale

JonJ

NES Member
Someone gave me this old Pacific scale. I see no way to set the weight to a known level. Would this be of use to anyone or is it junk?

scale.jpg

if you use a tare weight to set the desired weight then it would be usable. I take it the nut is used as a slide to set the desired weight? Would be useful, but not the most practical. You could spend some time and "calibrate" it by weighing items in 5 grain increments and marking it on the slide and then rechecking it for accuracy.

It's still a unique old scale, I wouldn't throw it out.

Into the collection it goes. I don't know how old it is but I think it would be a nice conversation piece.

Thanks guys.
I was hoping to give it to someone starting out that was short on money. But it looks like it would be a pain to use.

For it to really usable for reloading, it would need to have "graduations" set so that you could KNOW what you were setting it to.

So, if you wanted 15 grains, there would be a setting place for that. 14 grains, ditto, and so on.

If you have to keep guessing where the slide is set to, it's not all that usable.

Just put it on a shelf to be admired and discussed. Leave the powder weighing to a updated model. It's a conversation piece that needs to be displayed in a gun/reloading room.

Last edited:
GOOD GOSH!

Those weights are set in GRAMS, not grains. You'll get yourself killed for sure with those.

Reloading is always done in grains.

None of the ideas are valid for how to use this scale for reloading.
To use it, you would have to measure something out on a known scale, and transfer the material weighed to the old scale, and set the adjustment to point to zero. In which case, what would be the purpose since you already have a scale to do that.

What would be neat to check out, however is if the old scale has some kind of a notch or mark on that rotating nut. If it does, it could be that every rotation of the nut is some fixed amount, like 1 grain, or tenth of a grain. You'd have to check it to find out. If it is calibrated in that manner, it would still be a pain to work with since it would require keeping track of how many revolutions you made with the nut. More work and effort than it's worth.

My advice is to keep it OUT of the reloading circuit.

Now that I have been looking at the picture again, it looks like it's actually a bit LARGE??? Is it?
If so, it could be set for measuring things in OUNCES.
So, in a General Store at the turn of the previous century (1900), you could use it to sell an ounce of tobacco, or a pound of flour... that sort of thing.

To make it useful, it needs is a set of weights like these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220419469395

Lock the balance with the desired number of grams (grains) from the weight set, and you're good to go.

Last edited:
In addition to the other issues, this scale has no damping and its bearing surface looks degraded. I wouldn't use it.

GOOD GOSH!

Those weights are set in GRAMS, not grains. You'll get yourself killed for sure with those.

Reloading is always done in grains.

None of the ideas are valid for how to use this scale for reloading.
To use it, you would have to measure something out on a known scale, and transfer the material weighed to the old scale, and set the adjustment to point to zero. In which case, what would be the purpose since you already have a scale to do that.

What would be neat to check out, however is if the old scale has some kind of a notch or mark on that rotating nut. If it does, it could be that every rotation of the nut is some fixed amount, like 1 grain, or tenth of a grain. You'd have to check it to find out. If it is calibrated in that manner, it would still be a pain to work with since it would require keeping track of how many revolutions you made with the nut. More work and effort than it's worth.

My advice is to keep it OUT of the reloading circuit.

Now that I have been looking at the picture again, it looks like it's actually a bit LARGE??? Is it?
If so, it could be set for measuring things in OUNCES.
So, in a General Store at the turn of the previous century (1900), you could use it to sell an ounce of tobacco, or a pound of flour... that sort of thing.

No notches and it is small. The old gent that gave it to me used it for reloading.
Thanks. It's going on a shelf.

Back
Top Bottom