Old Savage Arms .22 Hornet (Looking for info)

My dad gave me this old rifle to take home today. He's close to 70 and said he remembers being as young as 13-15 when he first shot this but isn't sure of it's age. It has an old Weaver L4 scope on it that still looks nice and clear and the gun still looks to be in great shape. It has some feeding issues, but that looks to be caused by a beat up magazine. Can anyone here give me advice on how to find out it's age? It's serial is 2 01 XXX range.

0945e7f8.jpg

e16eae6e.jpg

5b3f8404.jpg

5c23c29a.jpg

d6d99e1b.jpg

Last edited:
You will probably need a model number to get a reasonably accurate date, but just a quick internet search of "Savage Arms .22 Hornet" came up with a lot of info

Yeah, that's why I was asking here. From all the research I've done on it the best I can come up with is that it's possibly a 23D model, but I can't find the model number on it anywhere. I figured that if I posted pictures of it someone might know what model it is.

Looking at the rifle design and color of the Bluing, I would say pre 1938. That is a great find! The butt plate looks to be pre 1932, since almost all manufactures went to Steel flat or bakalite/plastic. She looks to be a K98/06 look alike. Pics of the bolt would help.

The barrel stampings show it was built in Utica NY. This may help narrow down a year range in a general search.

I didn't even think of that. That did help narrow it down some... I found this on the National Firearms Museum website:

In 1917, the company's name was changed to Savage Arms Corporation... ...Savage Arms relocated to Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts in 1946

So that puts it definitely in the 1917-1946 area which others have guessed so far.

What little research I did shows the .22 Hornet being commerically produced in late 1930 early 1931. I would say the year range is between 1931-1946. At least this narrows down the broad year range a little more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help Marine. I found out today that there is a guy in MA that is a Savage Arms historian. I think my best bet would be to mail him some photos and see what he thinks.

Back
Top Bottom