• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old Rifle ID/Info (.22?) and Transfer Info

jbos6

NES Member
This is an old .22 (I *think*) that was found in a barn that's been on my family's property in NY for 8 generations. Can anyone tell me anything about it? Any other sites that might be able to assist? All my father knows is that it was his grandfather's, so it probably dates from the late 1800's or early 1900's. He said that, as far as he knows, his grandfather didn't hunt so probably used it for nuisance animals around the farm.

Also, as I have no real (or proveable) idea how old it is, can anyone summarize what I would need to do to take ownership of it? Would it be worth having someone clean it up? The stock is cracked in a spot or two and the barrel is rusted, but the chamber still opens and the trigger still works.

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance y'all can provide!!

IMG00062-20110514-1710.jpg

IMG00064-20110514-1711.jpg

IMG00065-20110514-1711.jpg

Try scrubbing down the barrel with some 00 steel wool and oil and see if you can find some markings at least, then maybe you can get a positive ID on the date. I doubt its shootable so at best if its an antique you can just keep it as a wallhanger.

Its a Flobert they were mostly used during Victorian era as parlor guns the caliber was for the most part 22 rimfire cb and bb cap ammo

Its a Flobert they were mostly used during Victorian era as parlor guns the caliber was for the most part 22 rimfire cb and bb cap ammo

+1 on it being a Flobert (pronounced Flowbay)

I have one of these that someone gave me. These are usually 5mm rimfire.

Back
Top Bottom