WTB Old NMortise Locks

Patriot

NES Member
I'm looking for a few old mortise locks to replace damaged ones in my home. Unfortunately the ones I am looking for seem to be more rare than the usual ones encountered so far. I'm posting a couple of pictures and a drawing of the lock. I've noted in the drawing the important dimension that seperates my locks from the more common ones. Other notable featurs of the lock is that the body has corners that are more square than the usual ones i encounter. The other notable item is that is has a numeral "6" stamped in the cast case. There are no names or manufacturer identities on these things that I can find. If you have any, or know of where I might have a shot at finding them, please give a shout out. All dimensions on the drawing are approximate. (Measuring a rusty old cast case is not an easy thing to do!)

I'm in Northern Norfolk County neat the intersection of Rtes 9 and 128.

Thanks

Edit: Well, this house never fails to surprise. I decided to take the mortise lock out of an adjacent door and found a totally different version. This is a more traditional mortise lock and I am adding pics of that. It does have a nfg Logo on it but I can't make out what it is. At this point if anyone had any of these things lying around and gathering dust let me know. I can always use some to cannibalize for parts even if they aren't in complete working order. Thanks.

PS: John, thanks. I imagine your boy is getting really big and grown up at this point. Good to hear from you. I've been around but not posting for the most part in a while.

Attachments

• IMG_20200229_174425640a.jpg
    IMG_20200229_174425640a.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_20200229_174349830a.jpg
    IMG_20200229_174349830a.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 136
  • Mortise Lock.pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 90
  • B1_Lock_Case.jpg
    B1_Lock_Case.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 114
  • B1_Lock_Face.jpg
    B1_Lock_Face.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 102
  • B1_Lock_Guts.jpg
    B1_Lock_Guts.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 107
  • B1_Lock_Mfg_Logo.jpg
    B1_Lock_Mfg_Logo.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Good to see you onboard once again. I stripped some old doors years ago and saved a couple. If I can locate them they are yours. Give me a couple if days to look.

Have you thought about contacting the locksmith program at North Bennett Street School in Boston to see if they can repair/restore your current locks? I attended many years ago, worked as a locksmith for a few years but then moved to different work. When I attended, they had lots of old stuff and I enjoyed working on them and even restored an old mortise lockset that someone had brought in. Back then the school didn't charge for work but a customer would usually leave a tip or make a donation to the school. Just a thought as they don't look too bad.
Best, Henry

Have you thought about contacting the locksmith program at North Bennett Street School in Boston to see if they can repair/restore your current locks? I attended many years ago, worked as a locksmith for a few years but then moved to different work. When I attended, they had lots of old stuff and I enjoyed working on them and even restored an old mortise lockset that someone had brought in. Back then the school didn't charge for work but a customer would usually leave a tip or make a donation to the school. Just a thought as they don't look too bad.
Best, Henry
Thanks for the tip. I never realized this school existed. Interesting place. I will check it out.

I gave a box of them to one of my customers for similar work. I just went thru an old mill in Uxbridge on Rt 16 that has multiple antique vendors. There were several booths with a large selection of what you are looking for. I also saw a story on "Chronicle" or some other program about an old fashioned hardware store in town Cambridge, Summerville? that had dozens of bins full of mortise locks, parts, handle sets etc. Sounded pricey for upscale back bay rehab projects but they had the inventory. I will try and look thru the uxbridge mill, whats the size of the lock body and face plate?

I have a couple of Russwin 380's, similar to this pic of a 370

1583354355913.png

I gave a box of them to one of my customers for similar work. I just went thru an old mill in Uxbridge on Rt 16 that has multiple antique vendors. There were several booths with a large selection of what you are looking for. I also saw a story on "Chronicle" or some other program about an old fashioned hardware store in town Cambridge, Summerville? that had dozens of bins full of mortise locks, parts, handle sets etc. Sounded pricey for upscale back bay rehab projects but they had the inventory. I will try and look thru the uxbridge mill, whats the size of the lock body and face plate?

I will get back to you on this. I have to measure the one that almost fits.

I have a couple of Russwin 380's, similar to this pic of a 370

View attachment 336316
Hi Choctaw,

I received these and many thinks. I haven't fit them yet but they look terrific and I think they are going to help solve my many door problems. I can't thank you enough. NES guys (& gals) are the best!

Richard

Hi Manomet,

On some of them I don't know the dimensions as he lock was missing outright and just the knob assembly and faceplates were present. At this time I'm focusing on the ones that are inoperable and what's worse are the ones that might have had substitutions that clearly were not intended for a particular lock space. When I decided to get into this I figured that all the locks would be of the same genre, but true to this place for never ever giving me a break, this was not to be and has turned into a major cluster****. As I continue to clear each room/door I will probably reach out to you if that's OK?

Thanks,

Richard

Back
Top Bottom