• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old Faithful Holsters

I picked one of these up last week, I got the "stage 2 kit" which is basically cut leather, formed piece of kydex to your selected pistol and all the screws, clips, t-nuts you need to assemble. It was $39 and change landed in my mailbox.

This holster was the first "real" holster I have purchased, only others I have owned were cheap uncle mike's garbage. It took me about 30-40 minutes to assemble watching the videos on their site. It doesn't look like it was made by a professional but for the price it is a very comfortable well built holster. I had to cut and shape the kydex, drill holes in the kydex, punch holes in the leather, put in the t-nuts and screw everything together.

If somebody is interested in a nice holster for about half the cost of a crossbreed I would definitely recommend this guy. He also has different stage kits, stage 3 is ready to assemble, stage 2 needs shaping and punches, stage 1 is basically raw materials. He also sells fully assembled holsters for around $80.

I am not in any way affiliated with old faithful holsters I just thought it was a good holster and he deserves some points for trying to make a go of it.

www.oldfaithfulholsters.com

That's actually not too bad a deal.

The Level 1 kits would cost about $20 to make yourself buying the materials from different sources (Knifekits.com for the kydex, Tandy Leather Factory for the leather and belt clips, local hardware store for screws and tubing).

I like what I see. I wonder if I could buy a holster for my PPS and when I eventually get a Kahr I could just order the kydex shell to swap out of the original holster I buy?

- - - Updated - - -

I like what I see. I wonder if I could buy a holster for my PPS and when I eventually get a Kahr I could just order the kydex shell to swap out of the original holster I buy?

I just found on their site that you can buy an extra kydex shell for $15 bucks. That's pretty sweet.

Does anyone know why horsehide is better than cowleather? It seems to be a common upgrade for iwb holsters.

I've caried in an Old Faithful for 2 years now. I love it. The really good thing about them is that they are totally adjustable. If you made the holster you are more likely to drill the holes in the leather and kydex and move a component to suit your needs.
You can put the pieces together for less than the cost of a kit, but it's hard to find leather as thick as what comes from Old Faithful.

I just found on their site that you can buy an extra kydex shell for $15 bucks. That's pretty sweet.

Does anyone know why horsehide is better than cowleather? It seems to be a common upgrade for iwb holsters.

Horsehide is denser (thus more sweat resistant). Horsehide is also much more expensive (we eat more cows than horses) and harder to dye.

Old Faithful Holsters look pretty interesting. never heard of them until today on one of my gun blogs.

I have been using a Crossbreed Super Tuck for about 5 years now for my compact GLock, and I absolutely love it. I never feel that I am wearing a holster, even when driving. very comfortable. but for the price for these kits and the good reviews so far, they have my attention. The kit idea is great as helps save money. (and more left over for ammo!) I notice that the assembled OFH is actually a bit more expensive than my crossbreed. but with OFH kits at 1/2 the price, they look great.

I think I will try one for my J-Frame. My Galco IWB for the J-frame is good, but just not nearly as comfortable as the crossbreed is for the glock.

but, yes, I realize that thickness of your gun will still be a limiting factor in any holster. and the Glock is thinner than the revolver.

I did see that OFH is saying that "screws are better than rivets." but i will say that the rivets holding the kydex to the leather of the crossbreed are holding up perfectly after 5 years. and screws can come loose. (but OFH also recommends using lok-tight.) So I will compare them over time.

I have both types of belt clips for the crossbreed, J-clips and "around the belt" type. I have stayed with the J-clips as they make it a bit easier to remove the holster rather than the full "around the belt" clips. And the j-clips are less noticeable to the "public." To me, when I ever see the big spring metal type clips, it screams "I have a gun." People have to look pretty closely to see the little tabs on my j-clips. (sorry for the tiny pictures below.)

J-Clip_Details.jpg jhooks.png

just my 2 cents. I will report more once I have used the OFH a bit and compare the two.

Traveler out....

Just received an Old Faithful Hoster today in the mail for a P226. I know a few people who have them and love them so I can't wait to start using it tomorrow.

Old Faithful Holsters look pretty interesting.
I think I will try one for my J-Frame. My Galco IWB for the J-frame is good, but just not nearly as comfortable as the crossbreed is for the glock.

but, yes, I realize that thickness of your gun will still be a limiting factor in any holster. and the Glock is thinner than the revolver.

Traveler out....
Just to give you something to think about with your j-frame, I have a Kholster (similar design) for my j-frame. While it is very cumfortable it makes a much larger bulge than anything else I have. I end up carrying my 642 in a cheap Ace Case holster because it is so thin that it is hardly noticable. The Kholster would look like a huge tumor on my hip if I ever tried to use it as a tuckable holster as it is designed for. If it is covered by an untucked shirt it is comfortable but overkill for a small lightweight revolver. As a side note I have a remora for a Sig p250, the magazine alone full of .45 probably weighs as much as my loaded revolver. I wish I had the remora for the j-frame and the Kholster for the larger Sig. I think a holster of the Crossbreed/Old Faithful/Kholster type is more than needed for a lightweight j-frame but I would think it would be very good for a larger and or heavier gun.

My Kholster usually stays home because for a small light revolver, simple and minimal wins.

Just to give you something to think about with your j-frame, I have a Kholster (similar design) for my j-frame. While it is very cumfortable it makes a much larger bulge than anything else I have. I end up carrying my 642 in a cheap Ace Case holster because it is so thin that it is hardly noticable. The Kholster would look like a huge tumor on my hip if I ever tried to use it as a tuckable holster as it is designed for. If it is covered by an untucked shirt it is comfortable but overkill for a small lightweight revolver. As a side note I have a remora for a Sig p250, the magazine alone full of .45 probably weighs as much as my loaded revolver. I wish I had the remora for the j-frame and the Kholster for the larger Sig. I think a holster of the Crossbreed/Old Faithful/Kholster type is more than needed for a lightweight j-frame but I would think it would be very good for a larger and or heavier gun.

My Kholster usually stays home because for a small light revolver, simple and minimal wins.

I agree with with you that the CB style holster is overkill on lighter guns. I have found that the Remora even works well with slightly heavier guns like my SR9c. I have a CB for it, but bought the Remora just to have the option of a quick tuck and go setup that could be placed in different configurations, and the Remora works excellently for that. I recently got my first 1911 and had contemplated getting another CB for it because this type of holster would be good for the added weight of a 1911. On a whim I started looking at ebay for holsters and found a great deal on CB/Old Faithful type holster that can be bought complete for the price of the Old Faithful "kit". Anyway, here is a link to the one I bought. It even has the options like CB of getting it in black for very short money. I got it with all of the options I wanted for under $40 to my door! It works very well, but I need to break it in a bit because the clips seem to be a bit squeaky on the bushings during movement. I will probably just wear around the house for awhile until it's broken in properly. For the price, I am very happy. Here is a link to the one I got (except the picture shows the natural colored leather).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27090490096...eName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Just wanted to say that every holster I have has its pros and cons. For a full concealment (in gun friendly MA) with a tucked in dress shirt, the crossbreed is still my favorite. Comfortable and never moves. with a un-tucked shirt, I agree that their are many, many other options.

And like you say, big gun, little gun, big/portly wearer vs. small frame all make a big difference too.

Looking at the remora a bit on their website, I do see that this could be a solution to the situation of gym shorts and a t-shirt though. But I did read that some say that don't really like the remora directly against their skin. it stays in place fine, but just that it can rub your skin too much. I also see it can be used as a pocket carry. so yes, it does have a lot of ways to use it.

Another issue that I find a lot is a holster that does not allow you to reholster easily. the remora, my Galco, and some others will collapse just a bit too much and it is more work to get the gun back in the holster. Not a crisis, just a bit more work than I would like. The CB cannot collapse, so reholstering is always easy every time.

But like everybody, I have a big box of holsters. For me buying multiple holsters for $20-$40 is not a big deal. it is just the $80-130 ones that better have a some real big advantages to make them worth it.

So, yes, now i will probably pick up both a old fashioned and a remora for the SW642, just have more options based on what I am wearing.

Just wanted to say that every holster I have has its pros and cons. For a full concealment (in gun friendly MA) with a tucked in dress shirt, the crossbreed is still my favorite. Comfortable and never moves. with a un-tucked shirt, I agree that their are many, many other options.

And like you say, big gun, little gun, big/portly wearer vs. small frame all make a big difference too.

Looking at the remora a bit on their website, I do see that this could be a solution to the situation of gym shorts and a t-shirt though. But I did read that some say that don't really like the remora directly against their skin. it stays in place fine, but just that it can rub your skin too much. I also see it can be used as a pocket carry. so yes, it does have a lot of ways to use it.

Another issue that I find a lot is a holster that does not allow you to reholster easily. the remora, my Galco, and some others will collapse just a bit too much and it is more work to get the gun back in the holster. Not a crisis, just a bit more work than I would like. The CB cannot collapse, so reholstering is always easy every time.

But like everybody, I have a big box of holsters. For me buying multiple holsters for $20-$40 is not a big deal. it is just the $80-130 ones that better have a some real big advantages to make them worth it.

So, yes, now i will probably pick up both a old fashioned and a remora for the SW642, just have more options based on what I am wearing.

Just so that you know, Remora does offer an optional stiff wall version that will allow you to re-holster easier. Personally, I'm not sure why anyone would get hung up on that, though. We don't live in the wild west, where you draw, shoot, then spin it on your finger and drop it back into the holster. If I ever "have to" draw my gun to use it, you can bet that being in a big hurry to fit it back into the holster will not be on my priority list. I use the Remora for a quick, grab-n-go type rig when I don't have the time to fumble with getting the Crossbreed clipped in, and aligned properly. Even though the Remora will work well for heavier guns, and has never let me down, I still feel more secure for all day wear using the Crossbreed, unless it's with a lightweight gun like the BG380, P238, etc. For those, I wouldn't even waste money on a kydex holster.

Yes, i understand that the average citizen will rarely, or even ever, draw their weapon in the first place, let alone worry about reholstering it after they have used it in self defense. So I agree with you comment.

I am just thinking about the training that I try to do at the range and in the classes I take that want to give you the chance to at get away from always using only "low ready" on a square paper range. The moving target, moving shooter and steel plate COFs type training are always better than any square range class. And in these training classes, yes, you will be reholstering a lot. To date, I (along with most others) will simply switch to a OWB holster for the training classes. Not a big deal, just pointing out that most will not ever even train with their everyday carry IWB.

But back to the goal of just "having your gun with you" and in a good holster, I agree that the "Best" holster is one that you actually use, because we like it. and it seems that many think the same way I have and that is 1) comfort and 2) ease of putting on, are two of the top priorities.

I will buy one of the Remora's first for my SW642, and go from there. And see if I need their tuckable feature. Thanks for all the other posts and comments.

Traveler

Just received my second Old Faithful IWB Holster today for an M&P Shield. Bought my first a couple of months ago for a P226 and loved it. This time I ordered one of their belts too.
Holsters come with extra tension screws and hex key, belt comes with an extra Chicago screw. Great products, prices and customer service.

Back
Top Bottom