• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old but still good - Gunfight rules

Ben Cartwright SASS

NES Member
Gunfight Rules:

In a gunfight, the most important rule is ..... HAVE A GUN!

Here is some shooting advice from various Concealed Carry Instructors. If you own a gun, you will appreciate these rules. If not, get one and learn how to use it.....then learn the rules:

RULES:

A -- Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians.

B -- It’s always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

C -- Cops carry guns to protect themselves, not you.

D -- Never let someone or something that threatens you get within 20 feet.

E -- Never say "I've got a gun". If you need to use deadly force, the first sound they hear should be the safety clicking off.

F -- The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes; the response time of a .357 magnum is 1400 feet per second.

G -- The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win. A gunfight is a deadly struggle. There is no such thing as a fair fight, so cheat if necessary.

H -- Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. You may get killed with your own gun, but he'll have to beat you to death with it, ‘cause it will be empty.

I -- If you're in a gun fight: If you're not shooting, you should be loading. If you're not loading, you should be moving. If you're not moving, you're dead.

J -- In a life and death situation, do something. It may be wrong, but do something!

K -- If you carry a gun, people may call you paranoid. Bullshit! If you have a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

L -- You can say 'stop' or any other word, but a large bore muzzle pointed at someone’s head is pretty much a universal language.

M -- Never leave an enemy behind. If you have to shoot, shoot to kill. If you end up in court, yours will be the only testimony.

N -- You cannot save the planet, but you may be able to save yourself and your family.

If you believe in the 2nd Amendment, forward this to others you know who also believe.

And always remember this quote from America's premier Founding Father:
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading".

Thomas Jefferson

All these good tips from instructors but nothing about training? I think the most eye opening thing was have done since getting my CC license was take the CC1 and CC2 class at Mass Firearms. Not only can the instruction save your life but could also save you a life of legal headache in this anti state.

USMC RULES FOR GUNFIGHTING

(from http://unclesamsmisguidedchildren.com/usmc-rules-gunfighting-complete-list/

1. Bring a gun. Preferably, bring at least two guns. Bring all of your friends who have guns. Bring their friends who have guns.

2. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.

3. Only hits count. Close doesn’t count. The only thing worse than a miss is a slow miss.
4. If your shooting stance is good, you’re probably not moving fast enough, nor using cover correctly.
5. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral and diagonal movement are preferred.)
6. If you can choose what to bring to a gunfight, bring a long gun and a friend with a long gun.
7. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived and who didn’t.
8. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating, reloading, and running.
9. Accuracy is relative: most combat shooting is more dependent on “pucker factor” than the inherent accuracy of the gun.
10. Use a gun that works EVERY TIME. “All skill is in vain when an Angel pisses in the flintlock of your musket.”
11. Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
12. In combat, there are no rules, always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

13. Have a plan.
14. Have a back-up plan, because the first one won’t work.
15. Use cover or concealment as much as possible. The visible target should be in FRONT of your gun.
16. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
17. Don’t drop your guard.
18. Always tactical load and threat scan 360 degrees.
19. Watch their hands. Hands kill. (In God we trust. Everyone else, keep your hands where I can see them).
20. Decide to be aggressive ENOUGH, quickly ENOUGH.
21. The faster you finish the fight, the less shot you will get.
22. Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
23. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
24. Your number one option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
25. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun, the caliber of which does not start with a “4.”

US Navy Rules for Gunfighting
1. Adopt an aggressive offshore posture
2. Send in the Marines
3. Drink Coffee

US Air Force Rules for Gunfighting
1. Kiss the wife goodbye
2. Fly to target area, drop bombs, fly back
3. Grill some burgers and drink beer

US Army Rules for Gunfighting
1. See USMC Rules for Gunfighting
2. Add 30 days
3. Hope the Marines already destroyed all meaningful resistance

And never say rule M out loud for anyone to hear. And we need to add rule O. Say nothing to the police, absolutely nothing except I don't feel good I think it's my heart I need to go to the hospital.

Regarding F, is the response time really an average of 23 minutes? I don't know if it was because of the time or just coincidence but over the weekend a suv hit a utility pole around midnght. Two police cars showed up in less than 3 minutes followed shortly by a fire truck.

It isn't every day, every village and town, but about a decade ago there was a DUI driver (like EXTRA DUI'd) lost on our double-cul-de-sac street one night in the rain. I called 911. No response. 15 min later, he hit a hydrant, toasted that and his radiator and eventually the car died at our cul-de-sac. Police were called again (hit hydrant, drunk driver, etc.,) and it STILL took ANOTHER 15 min to get there.

Regarding F, is the response time really an average of 23 minutes? I don't know if it was because of the time or just coincidence but over the weekend a suv hit a utility pole around midnght. Two police cars showed up in less than 3 minutes followed shortly by a fire truck.

In MA, last I heard, average response time was 9 minutes. BUT, that is an average of New Bedford and Brockton type places with Sudbury and Winchester. I'm sure it is far longer in the crap holes and much shorter in the nice towns. If only because the cops in nice towns are less busy.

Didn't see any mention of how many reloads to carry... IMO, you should have (as a bare minimum) one reload on you when carrying. Better to have two reloads on you with more in a fall-back position (your home or vehicle).

And never say rule M out loud for anyone to hear. And we need to add rule O. Say nothing to the police, absolutely nothing except I don't feel good I think it's my heart I need to go to the hospital.

This.

And tell your attorney that all you wanted to do is stop the threat against me and my family.

Moons ago (not many, but several) I took a self defense shooting class at Sig. First day was 99% classroom.

They had an interesting theory - if approached publicly by a crazy/robber/whatever, make a disturbance and with your hands over your head say VERY LOUD "Get away from me!" or something. Both hands at head-or-above level in a gesture of frustration - a clap of the hands before hand would be helpful as well.

That way, when witnesses later recount the event, they will be able to clearly state that you were UNarmed and trying to disengage when it occurred.

It isn't applicable much in gun situations, but an interesting point of view when it could be a situation.

Back
Top Bottom