Old and "not" obsolete a 22 hornet

weatherby

NES Member
I picked this old gal up recently.
It is a Savage 23D from Utica, NY
Only had it to the range once so far but she hasn't lost a step.

20200220_161259.jpg

I reload a lot of different cartridges and it's mainly 1 or 2 loads that I'd develope for any of them and be done.
This I am seeing potential for a myriad of them.

My intended uses are coyotes crow and bobcat.
I do have another equally important one and that is newer shooters with reactive targets.
I've heard Lil gun is the go to powder but I started with H 110.

My test batches so far.
Left to right Hornady 40 grain Vmax
Some 40 grain SP Some 40 grain HP and lastly some nasty looking 33 grain HP.

Any Hornet shooters have some good tips ?
BTW the scope is an old Weaver 4x T post which I like.
20200311_153135.jpg

I didn't think that 219 Zipper was ever popular. I don't recall ever finding a gun chambered for it but if I do I could feed it short term....lol

20191114_163555.jpg

I didn't think that 219 Zipper was ever popular. I don't recall ever finding a gun chambered for it but if I do I could feed it short term....lol

View attachment 338476
I'm just dating myself. Also, the .220 Swift was what we dreamed about as youngsters. We also read every word that Jack O'Connor wrote about the .270. Jack.

I know you didn't mean that and meant to say Elmer Keith.
O'Connor wrote article after article about the .270 in Outdoor Life. Keith was famous for the .357 Mag. I'm famous for sometimes getting "close". I think I'm right about this one, though. Jack.

I picked this old gal up recently.
It is a Savage 23D from Utica, NY
Only had it to the range once so far but she hasn't lost a step.

View attachment 338467

I reload a lot of different cartridges and it's mainly 1 or 2 loads that I'd develope for any of them and be done.
This I am seeing potential for a myriad of them.

My intended uses are coyotes crow and bobcat.
I do have another equally important one and that is newer shooters with reactive targets.
I've heard Lil gun is the go to powder but I started with H 110.

My test batches so far.
Left to right Hornady 40 grain Vmax
Some 40 grain SP Some 40 grain HP and lastly some nasty looking 33 grain HP.

Any Hornet shooters have some good tips ?
BTW the scope is an old Weaver 4x T post which I like.
View attachment 338471
No tips but I’m jealous. I’ve always loved the hornet and plan on snagging one someday. I passed up on a rifle just like yours a ways back and Kick myself for it.
I’ve always been impressed with the velocity you can get from the hornet and the K hornet with so little powder.

Last year there was an anschutz at the same store but it was out of reach. This was obtainable especially already scoped.
I agree EC1 you don't happen upon them often. This one is 80 but doesn't look a day over 20.

Jack I date myself too Elmer was big and heavy and Jack was light and fast.
It was an attempt at humor mine is generally off a bit.

I load .22 Hornet for a heavy barrel Ruger 77/22. I've tried several bullets and powders but have settled on a Hornady 35 grain V max and 12.5 grains of Lil Gun. No combination was good beyond 150 yards until I tried the V max. That turned the Hornet into a 200 yard rifle. I have no proof but I suspect that the combination of slow twist and reduced velocity destabilizes the bullets at longer range and accuracy goes to shit.

I'm actually hoping to get out today and test what I have .
I will definitely try Lil gun and 35 Vmax in the near future though.
I heard that Remington 6 1/2 primers were great for these and they are what I used....happen to have a lifetime supply so that may have influenced me a bit also.

I load .22 Hornet for a heavy barrel Ruger 77/22. I've tried several bullets and powders but have settled on a Hornady 35 grain V max and 12.5 grains of Lil Gun. No combination was good beyond 150 yards until I tried the V max. That turned the Hornet into a 200 yard rifle. I have no proof but I suspect that the combination of slow twist and reduced velocity destabilizes the bullets at longer range and accuracy goes to shit.
i wonder how fast a twist you could run before the bullets tear them selves apart?
i remember as a kid 270 was the varmint cal of choice. They had some thin jackets that did not do well in the faster twists.

what are the 22hornet twists 1/14 1/12? Maybe trying to run heavies 50gn plus a 1/10 might do better?
I dont have any experience with 22hornet , maybe they need to be pushed at the higher end of velocities to take advantage of the slower twist. ?

Thats does not seem to work well for me with 22lr as HV 22lr does poorly even in my best rifles.

I have an H&R in 22 hornet with a fast twist better suited to the 55 grain. I think it’s a 9 twist.
I haven’t played with it at all lately. Kind of thinning of selling it but I can’t bring myself to get rid of the cartridge. Guess I need to find a new Hornet rifle first.

Funny it's a pretty old thread but also that I had the gun out just Saturday.

Brought a young shooter out with it and we were blowing up mini potatoes 🥔

I have an H&R in 22 hornet with a fast twist better suited to the 55 grain. I think it’s a 9 twist.
I haven’t played with it at all lately. Kind of thinning of selling it but I can’t bring myself to get rid of the cartridge. Guess I need to find a new Hornet rifle first.
Well, Hell I gave you a set of dies and brass for that. Use it up.

I have a Win 22 hornet model 70 mfg in 1937 that shoots 45 gr .223 dia bullets with 9 gr of 2400 into 1/2" at 100 yds - an original masterpiece but have gone to a Ruger Predator 223 Remington magpul stays inside 1/2 moa With 23.5 IMR 3031 55 gr .224 dia - both are excellent shooters.

I noticed a reloading forum on NES and joined to add a comment or theory on a 45 ACP shooter loading 6.3 gr AutoComp claimed to get 1300'/s with a 230 Berry's.

I have an RCBS Master dispenser that occasionally drops 10 + gr when set for 6.5 gr for this same load and I toss it back in the hopper.

This was an older conversation - just a reminder not to get distracted and let an overrun make your day - this reloader was running scared and he was no rube.

Back
Top Bottom