• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Old .22 pistol "given" to me

there's a website with pretty good overall info on the woodsman/huntsman's etc. You should be able to use the serial# to determine the manufacture date.

http://www.colt22.com/

Looks like a very nice find.

Make sure you look up the date. The way I understand it, some of the earlier ones can't handle HV ammo, you must use standard velocity.

Last edited:
If you have a C&R license, you can "register" the gun via the EFA10 system without listing the seller. As far as value, check gunbroker and you will get a good idea.

Technically a no-no in MA since a MA handgun sale must be between two licensed individuals or FFL01 to licensed individual. C&R doesn't let you bypass MA law in that regard. However, if the pistol were to make it's way to a free state lets say... [wink]

Do the dealers have any issue transferring 'off list' items between private parties? They are taking the gun into their inventory so I wasn't clear if they were encumbered by the mythical non-existent lists issued by the AG/EOPS.

LoginName nailed it...

If that pistol has paperwork stating it was in-state before the magic date, you are all set. If not, you may have trouble finding an FFL that will transfer it to you, but there are those who will do it.

Boarder277 has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Nice pistol. Now clear some space on your inbox.

I'll say it since nobody else will. Accept it as a gift. Oil it, load it and shoot it. That's legal in every state in the country except this one. In VT you could buy it at a yard sale with no paperwork...........

I'll say it since nobody else will. Accept it as a gift. Oil it, load it and shoot it. That's legal in every state in the country except this one. In VT you could buy it at a yard sale with no paperwork...........

I thought this was assumed. [smile]

It's a shooter. OP, you're already set up for competition with the box, 'scope, and that Match Target 'Woodsman!

Not legal in at least a couple of others... It makes me worry about our country that as many States have lost so much already.

Was she the excutor of the estate......
I might have speed read through it ..... does it really say pistols had to be instate pre 1998. I thought it was more for new pistols not being on the list?

Anyhow would name and address of the previous owner and a statement from the widow be enough for you to store it until she decides what to do.

Back
Top Bottom