Oklahoma Officer Indicted for Murder in Killing of Active Shooter

mikeyp

NES Member
Now there's definitely sometimes when it's a bad shot that shouldn't have been taken, but this doesn't seem like one of them

An Oklahoma police lieutenant has been indicted for second-degree murder in the May 20 killing of a woman during a vehicle pursuit. Supporters of Blackwell, OK, police Lieutenant John Mitchell say the suspect was an active shooter. The media describes her as a “road rage suspect.”

Oklahoma City grand jurors concluded Lt. Mitchell acted without justifiable or excusable cause and engaged in "imminently dangerous conduct" toward Micheal Ann Godsey. If convicted, he faces at least 10 years in prison.

Defense attorney Gary James said Mitchell acted lawfully to stop a threat.

"She shot at the police twice. She has shot at her mother twice. She has shot at a private citizen. We know she fired other rounds around town. And Mitchell gets in behind her," the attorney told the Oklahoman. "He took his AR-15 and he started shooting through the front windshield at her."

Godsey, 34, was found dead in the driver's seat of the pickup, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation said in May.

The attorney said Mitchell had just completed training on how to deal with an active shooter and was cleared by an independent internal affairs review of the incident.

KTUL reports some Blackwell residents were shocked by the indictment.

For the law enforcement community, the indictment has sent a chilling shockwave of concern, summed up by the state president of the fraternal order of police.

"This would be the first time in American history that a police officer or anybody was charged with the crime of murder for shooting at an active shooter," said Jason Smith, president of the Oklahoma Fraternal Order of Police.

Is there not a new law that states that a police officer must request that an active shooter stop shooting before he can use any kind of force?

well, the grand jury got the full story from both sides. We only get to judge from a one sided news report. I think it is unusual for them to indict for taking out an active shooter. So I am wondering what information they had to come to that conclusion....

Even so, he will never be convicted.

This seems like a strange case for sure. Maybe it had to do with him shooting through the windshield while driving, which is highly reckless.
Years ago, there was a video of a Texas trooper shooting an AR-15 out of his driver's side window, as he was chasing another vehicle. I thought "Awesome! Only in Texas!". And recently, we had that case in (Colorado, New Mexico?) where the officer was in pursuit and shooting his pistol through his front windshield. Killed the bad guy.

well, the grand jury got the full story from both sides. We only get to judge from a one sided news report. I think it is unusual for them to indict for taking out an active shooter. So I am wondering what information they had to come to that conclusion....
Grand Jury means no defense present, only the prosecution presents.

As the saying goes, , “If a district attorney wanted, a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich". So why did the DA have it in for this cop?

That's very strange if this was indeed an active shooter. Sounds like he shot two complete 30-round mags from his AR. I wonder if he might have emptied the second magazine after he had already stopped her and that's where the indictment came from? It's exceptionally rare for cops to be indicted from on-duty shootings and unheard of in cases where the person they shot was actually shooting. Something's fishy.

This is why as a civilian you walk away from an active shooting situation. Even if you successfully stop the situation there will always be some douche who will monday morning quarterback you into the poor house.

Voters in this country have created a culture where self defense is illegal. Protect yourself an family that’s it.

That's very strange if this was indeed an active shooter. Sounds like he shot two complete 30-round mags from his AR. I wonder if he might have emptied the second magazine after he had already stopped her and that's where the indictment came from? It's exceptionally rare for cops to be indicted from on-duty shootings and unheard of in cases where the person they shot was actually shooting. Something's fishy.

Yeah the stuff I can find on it talks about him dumping 60+ rounds

"
Police say dispatch received a call about an active shooter who was going around town shooting at things, then at the officers. A lot of gunfire was exchanged, and the woman was killed following a pursuit.
Upwards of 60 shots were reported, which is why some say he was indicted, but supporters disagree."

John Mitchell, 40, is accused in a second-degree murder indictment of causing the death of pickup driver Micheal Ann Godsey by firing approximately 60 rounds at her May 20.
Grand jurors concluded he acted without justifiable or excusable cause and engaged in "imminently dangerous conduct" toward Godsey. If convicted, he faces at least 10 years in prison.

In the indictment, Stephens County District Attorney Jason Hicks says Mitchell shot and killed Michael Godsey “without justifiable or excusable cause” while “discharging approximately 60 rounds.”

This is why as a civilian you walk away from an active shooting situation. Even if you successfully stop the situation there will always be some douche who will monday morning quarterback you into the poor house.

Voters in this country have created a culture where self defense is illegal. Protect yourself an family that’s it.

While you are most likely right....I would have to live with that for the rest of my life...that I walked away when I had the means to stop it. If I had a shot...

Pretty sure I just read something somewhere by these Oklahoma cops, on how a private citizen should stop and active shooter, and conceal again before the police arrived so as not get get shot. I thought it was well written.

I’d wonder why the Prosecutor chose to bring him to a Grand Jury to begin with? There must be some backstory to this one.

If he’s found guilty I can see some de-policing response from the cops - respond at distance until the perp runs out of bullets or offs himself.

I figured some day I might write a story.

Here’s the plot:
Massachusetts.
Guy thinks he’s meeting his wife for dinner at a restaurant on his birthday but it’s really a surprise party; thirty people, family and friends inside.
Guy gets to the front door and shots are fired. He turns away.

Yadda yadda.

Those family and friends ALL have the right to bear arms to defend themselves. If they choose not to that is not your fault.

Would it suck, yes!

I suspect when the dust settled not a single person at your party would think to blame our corrupt legal system or the communists who run this state....they will blame the guns, the media will blame guns, rinse repeat.

I figured some day I might write a story.

Here’s the plot:
Massachusetts.
Guy thinks he’s meeting his wife for dinner at a restaurant on his birthday but it’s really a surprise party; thirty people, family and friends inside.
Guy gets to the front door and shots are fired. He turns away.

Yadda yadda.

Is there not a new law that states that a police officer must request that an active shooter stop shooting before he can use any kind of force?

Lord I hope not. Being pursued by the police with lights and sirens would tell me it is time to stop whatever behavior got their attention. If the shooter stops the officer can work on de-escalation.

I wouldn't ask anyone being shot at to ask the shooter to stop first. That would be the same as what we complain about all the time, "stop resisting".

If it's about how many shots he fired, his defense lawyer should ask what exactly are the proper amount of rounds that should be fired?
I rest my case.
Something just sounds weird with this one.

Based on the indictment and suspicious lack of specific details, I’m guessing the police left out some important details.

Last edited:
Gonna have to wait to read both sides before I throw shade, on either the officer or the DA. There had to be something there for them to go on, whether or not it is a stretch will be revealed in time.

TBH, if the facts of her being an active shooter is accurate as reported, I don't care if he incapacitated the woman, dragged her out by the ankle and point blanked mag-dumped the corpse drawing a dick in 5.56 sized holes. Some people, after displaying grievous disregard for human life, deserve that disregard in turn. Best use of <insert napkin math on 5.56> $15 worth of taxpayer money I've heard of in a while.

Back
Top Bottom