Okay. So 14" mossberg non-nfa

The law in Mass says it has to be Made as a SBS, It must have never been a shotgun with a 18 in barrel or longer and then converted. The AG office sent notification to the ATF stating the law and that because they could not determine that a given shotgun was always a SBS and not converted that the the AG requested that the ATF not process and transfers of any SBS in the state of MA. The ATF agreed and rejects all application in MA.

I had a SBS transferred a little while ago. (Kel Tec 13").

Factory SBS flies, Serbu and any other that started life as anything but a SBS from the factory is a no go. Even an 07 in this state can't chop a normal shotgun and make a SBS.

The AG issue was from a while ago and from what I understand is no longer a problem.

Might be thinking of the Tippmann semi-auto scale models of the M 1919 in .22 or
https://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-97-2.html

No it was the 1919A4 I built my guns years ago so this letter is dated, and just to be clear I was refering to the A4. It was never intended to have a stock so therfor it is not considered to be a rifle

the link to the ATF ruleing above was from 1997 and was determining portability for excise tax purposes, and nothing more.

Attachments

• 1919_SBR_letter_zps5d8532ca.jpg
    1919_SBR_letter_zps5d8532ca.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
I had a SBS transferred a little while ago. (Kel Tec 13").

Factory SBS flies, Serbu and any other that started life as anything but a SBS from the factory is a no go. Even an 07 in this state can't chop a normal shotgun and make a SBS.

The AG issue was from a while ago and from what I understand is no longer a problem.
An 07 can cut up a shotgun and register it on a Form 2 as a sawed off, not transferable in Mass. I've made a few over the years just for fun. Jack.

So regarding the Mossberg 14" non-NFA stuff:

Legal in MA? Probably not.

MGL Ch 140 S 121 said:
“Shotgun”, a weapon having a smooth bore with a barrel length equal to or greater than 18 inches with an overall length equal to or greater than 26 inches, and capable of discharging a shot or bullet for each pull of the trigger.

So, with a 14" barrel it wouldn't qualify as a "Shotgun" in MA. But:

MGL Ch 140 S 121 said:
“Sawed-off shotgun”, any weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

So even taking a firearm that Mossberg shipped from the factory never having had a stock on it (as is required Federally for this modification to be non-NFA), MA would probably consider it a "Sawed-off shotgun" since, as it came from Mossberg, it would qualify in MA as a "Shotgun".

Now, if Mossberg ever sold a firearm in this configuration from the factory, then that might be legal in MA, but IANAL. Mossberg does sell a model 590 factory SBS, however, that could likely be transferred to you on a Form 4.

In free states, barring any other local or state prohibition (which I would argue makes it not "free"), you can indeed make one of these things legally. The most important point though is that the receiver must have never had a stock on it. All those "pistol grip only" (PGO) models that are sold? Those are not "shotguns" from a Federal perspective. They are "firearms", more specifically Title I firearms, since the OAL is greater than 26" and it doesn't have a stock, so it doesn't get you into Title II registration territory.

What is the appeal of something like that? Just the cool factor? I'm sure it's not very fun to shoot. Not the best choice for a home defense gun. No good for hunting. I'd love to see someone try to shoot trap with it. [laugh]

What is the appeal of something like that? Just the cool factor? I'm sure it's not very fun to shoot. Not the best choice for a home defense gun. No good for hunting. I'd love to see someone try to shoot trap with it. [laugh]

The birdshead grip, aside from giving it the necessary 26" OAL with a 14" barrel, is supposed to be a lot more comfortable to shoot than pistol grips.

I think the point is like with the Sig Pistol Brace. People are looking for ways to give the ATF an extended finger while remaining legal.

challenge accepted. someone provide me the gun and i'll give it a whirl.

bonus: i've shot trap 5 times in my life.

Back
Top Bottom