Okay....For our Sci-fi geeks

MrsWildweasel

NES Member
Have you guys watched Firefly? Glenn got the DVD's and got me hooked. I did watch a couple of episodes when he'd catch it on tv. I like it cause it's like the old west meets science fiction. [lol]

I had to pull my mom aside on night

I looked at the ground, shuffling my feet all nervous and said softly 'Mom, I'm a geek.'

And since I

-Will not be 100% satisified til I get a t1 minimum, and t3 preferred, as my broadband access.

-that I will sometimes config my dream 'computer' out for the hell of it (currently will stand at 13k, and if you want to know it, just ask).

-commander the TV on Sci-Fi Fridays to watch SG-1, SG: Atlantis and BSG.

-That I know which shows those are.

-Will defend the new BSG over the TOS and make points that only other geeks will understand.

Yah, I'm a hardcore geek. But on the bright side, some womans mag said Geeks are the best lovers *cheers happily*.

Hey, I married one. I do like Battle Star Galactica,maybe because I watched the old one growing up,and I also like Stargate. Glenn has others he watches.

I've seen snipets. It looks pretty good but I do not have time to watch it. We do however have a get together at 9:00 pm central for Battlestar Galactica. My personal favorite is Star Trek Voyager. Prime Directive? What directive? I'm getting this ship home.

I used to love Voyager.

But I have to say, the best one that they made so far was Enterprise. I can't believe that it didn't make the traditional 7 years. But I hear that they are taking a break and coming back with Star Trek: Starfleet. That should be pretty sweet.

But I'm still pissed that Enterprise was taken off the air.

Firefly was another example of Fox canceling an excellent show. Speaking of which: I'm actually very surprised that they haven't canceled Arrested Development.

Just like MrsWildweasel was saying, Firefly was like a Western with Space Opera elements. Here are some details for anyone interested: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefly_(television_series)" --sorry, you'll have to copy and paste as I can't get the BBCode or HTML code to work with a link containing parantheses.

Joss Whedon has gone on to create a Firefly movie titled "Serenity" which I believe will be in theaters at the end of September.

BTW: BSG is one of the best shows on television (basic cable) now, period (IMO). Great writing, acting and visual effects.

Yes, I believe the movie is coming out soon,and we plan on seeing it. Maybe if the movie does well the series will come back. I really like and hope it does come back.

MrsWildweasel said:
Maybe if the movie does well the series will come back. I really like and hope it does come back.

That would be excellent. If that came to pass, it would be the second series that Fox will have resurrected after canceleing; the first being one of my other favorite shows, Family Guy. Maybe Fox will get the hint that their programming decisions have been pretty spotty over the years.

C-pher said:
I used to love Voyager.

But I have to say, the best one that they made so far was Enterprise. I can't believe that it didn't make the traditional 7 years. But I hear that they are taking a break and coming back with Star Trek: Starfleet. That should be pretty sweet.

But I'm still pissed that Enterprise was taken off the air.

Enterprise did not enjoy the publicity blitz that the rest of them did...At least not from what I saw...the hubby and I are huge Trek fans, and personally I loved Enterprise...Scott Bakula (besides being YUMMY) alone could not save them from anonymity.

YogSothoth said:
Joss Whedon has gone on to create a Firefly movie titled "Serenity" which I believe will be in theaters at the end of September.

Now THAT looks good. But, then again, I've seen trailers that hooked me, but once I saw the movie I was upset at having to pay to see it.

Well I think the firefly movie will be good. we have just finished up the series (3 nights worth) and have really enjoyed it.
Star trek was played out ALONG time ago. (I was a fan of TOS and New Gen)
voyeger sucked, and enterprise was spotty at best. DS9 ? Ugh.
BSG is decent, spotty at times but I am hooked. (bought a VCR to record it !)
Stargate is iffy right now until the new guy gets his legs,
and Atlantis? not so hot.

Lynne, Firefly really hooked me and I am looking forward to the movie. I really don't think you'll be disappointed. Glenn is the sci-fi geek in our house,some of what he watches I don't mind,otherwise he'll be the first to tell you I'll leave the room,or find something else to do while he's watching it. Firefly I think I liked the best because it reminded me of old west meets the future.

MrsWildweasel said:
Lynne, Firefly really hooked me and I am looking forward to the movie. I really don't think you'll be disappointed. Glenn is the sci-fi geek in our house,some of what he watches I don't mind,otherwise he'll be the first to tell you I'll leave the room,or find something else to do while he's watching it. Firefly I think I liked the best because it reminded me of old west meets the future.

I never seem to hit the TV when it's on. I've seen blips for it, but I never manage to see it.

There was one that I'd catch if I couldn't sleep - I can't remember the name of it - but it's on (or was) the Sci-Fi channel. The lead guy was dead - a former assassin. There was a sex slave (or something) that travelled with them. There was also a blue collar geek with them, and they had a little mobile computer thing that followed them around the ship. Ring any bells?? That one was a bit strange, but it was pretty good for a laugh or two.

Lynne, doesn't ring any bells with me,but might Glenn. He watches more sci-fi than I do. I guess I surprised him with this one. As he says he never knows with me. I definately run hot or cold when it comes to sci-fi.

C-pher said:
Lynne, was it a cartoon? Because it really sounds like Tripping the Rift.

Nope - it wasn't a cartoon - I've seen TtheR - that's good too. This was a real human show. It was on in prime time a few years back - the reruns were on at like 2AM.

Lynne: I think the show you're talking about is Lexx. Does this look right?

http://www.scifi.com/lexx/

I liked the early run of Farscape too. A couple of the main actors from Farscape are now on SG-1. I never got into SG-1, although I've heard its good.

http://www.scifi.com/farscape/

A former coworker of mine has the Firefly box set and, since I'm off next week before my new job starts and I have no real plans, I may have to settle in for a run of episodes. :)

Firefly is a lot of fun. I, too, dig the wild-west meets sci-fi scheme. My wife loves the stuff. She's a big Joss W. fan from Buffy and Angel. I couldn't stand those two shows (well, the early Buffy seasons were ok, but it went on about 5 seasons too long), but I really enjoyed Firefly.

I'm a little nervous that they're going to try to wrap up all the story threads in the movie. If they do that, it'll suck because there won't be enough time to properly develope the plot. As long as they treat it like a a long TV show, and keep the focus on one or two parts of the show, it will probably be a lot of fun.

The ideal would be if HBO picked up the rights and continued it as Deadwood in F***ing Space. I'd probably buy an HDTV for that.

Back
Top Bottom