OK you all have talked about it so much, even I want to see yours !

What’s the purpose behind the cut trigger guard?
[thumbsup]

The Fitz Gerald Special, "Fitz Special", or "Fitz Colt" is a snubnosed revolver concept that was pioneered by John Henry Fitz Gerald (also known as "Fitz"), an employee of Colt Firearms from 1918 to 1944. Although historians disagree, it's believed that between 40 and 200 Fitz Specials left the factory, made from various Colt revolvers, by Fitzgerald himself.[1] The Fitz Special was the precursor of the modern snubnosed revolver and specifically the prototype for the Colt Detective Special.

Fitz Special revolvers are made by taking any standard size Colt revolver, shortening the barrel to two inches, shortening the ejector rod, bobbing the hammer spur, rounding the butt, and removing the front half of the trigger guard. Reshaping the hammer and the butt allows the gun to be drawn quickly with little risk of the weapon snagging on clothing. The halved trigger guard facilitates quick trigger acquisition, even for shooters with large fingers or gloves. [2]

Although historians disagree, it's believe that somewhere between 40 and 200 Fitz Specials left the factory, made from various Colt revolvers, by Fitzgerald himself.[3] The Fitz Special was the precursor to the modern snubnosed revolver and specifically the prototype for the Colt Detective Special the first production two-inch snubnosed revolver. Even after the introduction of the Detective Special in 1927, Fitz continued to make custom revolvers for special clientele.

Rare and unusual, Fitz Special snubbies hold a special place in serious Colt collectors' hearts.

What Is The Fitz Special And Why Is It So Unique:​

• Created by and named after Colt engineer J. Henry “Fitz” Fitzgerald.
  • The custom revolver featured a bobbed hammer and open-front trigger guard.
  • Fitzgerald modified several Colt models along these lines, including the Detective Special and Police Positive.
  • Collectors have paid in the five figurer for actual factory modified Fitz Specials.
One of the most interesting snub-nosed revolvers of the early 20th century was the Fitz Special. Created by Colt engineer and exhibition shooter J. Henry “Fitz” Fitzgerald, the Fitz Special was a customized revolver with two distinguishing features: These were a bobbed hammer and trigger guard with the front half ground completely off, both designed to help the shooter get his double-action revolver into action faster.

Is the sharpie stand really a great idea with that sucker loaded...?

On a DA revolver trigger? Oriented that way? I can't fathom a way that would go off. That Sharpie places no pressure against any part of the trigger that could provide the leverage to make that thing go back even a sixteenth of an inch, let alone all the way.

On a DA revolver trigger? Oriented that way? I can't fathom a way that would go off. That Sharpie places no pressure against any part of the trigger that could provide the leverage to make that thing go back even a sixteenth of an inch, let alone all the way.
I feel like a firm palm to the backstrap could make that fire. I have the hammerless varietal so I suppose I could test the theory. Either way, I don't disagree that it is unlikely to go off but there are many situations you are not likely to ND, but that doesn't mean you should necessarily test them.

The Sharpie probably isn't fastened to the table. So a firm palm to the backstrap would just push the gun, the palm, and the Sharpie across the table a bit; the force would have the effect of camming the Sharpie across the two sides of the trigger guard. If that pull is the usual 6-8 lbs, there's no way it's going to budge.

Your point is taken, though.

God damn it! C'mon guys.....now I need to buy a snubby! Stupid sexy Flanders!

On a related note, I saw a Rhino 200DS in MA recently. Stupid expensive, but the unobtainium almost had me.
Good luck! I've been looking for a while. I'd really like something in 9mm.
Ruger Light Compact Revolver in 9mm. Very smooth double action only trigger with some “friction reducing” feature for this specific gun. Excellent pocket carry. Shooting it feels like 357

View attachment 472129
I've heard that. With the chamber pressure of 9mm, it's around what .357 is. Can't imagine shooting it in an LCR, although (some) have mentioned that the hogue grip helps quite a bit. Of course, since the 9mm SP101's are going for more than retail for used ones, it may come down to getting a 9mm in an LCR-X.

😍

Not mine. Would love to see that with Tyler T grip. Beauty. Thanks for sharing.

View attachment 472120
Is that a gen-you-wine Fitz Special or a copy? I don't think included the Tyler grip, but that could have been added to a real FS later. But then, this is sort like asking "Is that really a piece of wood from the original cross?".

Is that a gen-you-wine Fitz Special or a copy? I don't think included the Tyler grip, but that could have been added to a real FS later. But then, this is sort like asking "Is that really a piece of wood from the original cross?".
Not sure. I found it in a conversation about Tyler grips and blued revolvers.

I've been itching for a 649 (.38 version) or a 49 for a while. Just something about that ugly humpback that appeals to me.

I've been itching for a 649 (.38 version) or a 49 for a while. Just something about that ugly humpback that appeals to me.

I've got an old, near mint 49 that I inherited from my dad, just taking up room in my safe, that I'd consider parting with (Edit: SPF)!

full

full

Frank

Last edited:
Sorry, posted before typing
640 357 that Mike Larroca did his magic on close to 15 years ago
great action, a little polishing around pawl ring, big dot night sight out front
rear is milled out a bit. Spegal boot grips
load is T load 110 +p+
background is a fancy Les Baer TRS box from 20 odd years ago
Boker Stockman to shield S#
sitting on Resco Patriot G2 so it didn’t slide

Sorry, posted before typing
640 357 that Mike Larroca did his magic on close to 15 years ago
great action, a little polishing around pawl ring, big dot night sight out front
rear is milled out a bit. Spegal boot grips
load is T load 110 +p+
background is a fancy Les Baer TRS box from 20 odd years ago
Boker Stockman to shield S#
sitting on Resco Patriot G2 so it didn’t slide
I've never seen that. The pawl ring like that. What's the idea there?

Back
Top Bottom