• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ok to use a brand new AR15 lower for a SBR?

Reptile

NES Member
Can I use a new post Healy AR15 lower receiver to make a SBR?

I'd hope for YES because a SBR is not a rifle, so if the lower is not being made into a AR15 rifle, it's not prohibited.

I also believe that I can use a brand new AR15 lower to make a 22 caliber rifle, as well.

Can I use a new post Healy AR15 lower receiver to make a SBR?

I'd hope for YES because a SBR is not a rifle, so if the lower is not being made into a AR15 rifle, it's not prohibited.

I also believe that I can use a brand new AR15 lower to make a 22 caliber rifle, as well.
BATF NFA will ask for a pre 07/20/2016 Mass FA-10 of the lower before approving a Form 1 for a AR-15 SBR

Heard you could also send a bill of sale dated before 7-20-2016 has anyone gotten approved with that document?

How can BATF ask for a FA-10 on an unbuilt lower since MA Law does not require one until it's built into a firearm?? Doesn't the BATF have the 4473's from the original sale if they want proof of ownership prior to 7/20?

How can BATF ask for a FA-10 on an unbuilt lower since MA Law does not require one until it's built into a firearm?? Doesn't the BATF have the 4473's from the original sale if they want proof of ownership prior to 7/20?

No, ATF does not have the 4473s if the dealer that sold/transferred the lower is still in business.

I wouldn't Form 1 a new stripped lower just in case it's out of spec or something happens and the build gets pranged. I'd want to build into a functioning and tested lower first to make sure I'm not spending $200 for a federally registered paperwieght.

110% false

The BATFE demanded proof I had obtained my lower prior to the Heliban as a condition of approving an SBR Form 1. They accepted the eFA10 copy my dealer was able to print out. I except they would have accepted other documentation, but I do not have experience with that.

This is fact, not speculation, but only covers one particular case at a particular point in time.

I purchased a pre-94 Ar15 Lower a few months ago. I want to do an SBR on it. Will the ATF turn it down because of Healeys date or am I ok because it is a true preban?

SGTHAL--- There are only 3 things the ATF does when they get your form 1 application:

1) verify a sbr is legal in your home state
2) verify you filled out the ppwk correctly
3) run FBI background check on you

if these 3 things are good they approve you. They dont give a shit when you bought it. They dont ask and dont care.

The BATFE demanded proof I had obtained my lower prior to the Heliban as a condition of approving an SBR Form 1. They accepted the eFA10 copy my dealer was able to print out. I except they would have accepted other documentation, but I do not have experience with that.

This is fact, not speculation, but only covers one particular case at a particular point in time.

As has been pointed out your singular experience was right after 7/20/16. For atleast 2 years they haven't given a damn

SGTHAL--- There are only 3 things the ATF does when they get your form 1 application:

if these 3 things are good they approve you. They dont give a shit when you bought it. They dont ask and dont care.
Awesome! Thanks for the info. As soon as this ridiculous gov shutdown is over I’m doing it!

Unfortunately there are several people who have different experiences. From what I’ve heard from others, ATF doesn’t need a FA-10 that it was registered before Healey’s edict, but any evidence that it was owned. I can’t say first hand since I havnt done any forms in a few years. I still have lowers that don’t have any state forms and all I have is a receipt with FFL name, serial number and date.

As far as sending in forms with a new “post Healey ban” lower, there are people who can still buy them such as cops. I don’t know of any proms who have sent on forms in this situation since we can’t buy them.

As far as sending in forms with a new “post Healey ban” lower, there are people who can still buy them such as cops.

Anyone can buy a stripped lower tomorrow at any mass gun store and walk out with it as long as the ffl processes the efa10 as a 22lr. Go to MFS tomorrow and buy one of them for $50. All they make you do is sign a waiver that it is going to be a 22lr rifle. 22lr is exempt from her 7/20 edict

It isnt just something a LEO can do....

Anyone can buy a stripped lower tomorrow at any mass gun store and walk out with it as long as the ffl processes the efa10 as a 22lr. Go to MFS tomorrow and buy one of them for $50. All they make you do is sign a waiver that it is going to be a 22lr rifle. 22lr is exempt from her 7/20 edict

It isnt just something a LEO can do....
Good to know, I don’t live anywhere near there. I have about a dozen gun shops in my area of work but I don’t know of any who are selling lowers other than the fixed mag lowers or dedicated 9mm or similar.

Awesome! Thanks for the info. As soon as this ridiculous gov shutdown is over I’m doing it!
Not so awesome. His info is wrong.
Unfortunately there are several people who have different experiences. From what I’ve heard from others, ATF doesn’t need a FA-10 that it was registered before Healey’s edict, but any evidence that it was owned.
This is accurate. Those asserting to the contrary either have info that things have changed, or are speaking from a position of ignorance. It would be great if it were the former, but I fear the later.

The post about the ATFs requirements from lxpony .... is just plain incorrect unless, of course, things have changed since the processed my SBR form 1.
As far as sending in forms with a new “post Healey ban” lower, there are people who can still buy them such as cops. I don’t know of any proms who have sent on forms in this situation since we can’t buy them.
The BATFE does NOT accept "I could not have legally bought it after the Healy ban" as proof it was owned prior to said ban. Once again, I know this to be fact from experience.

This is accurate. Those asserting to the contrary either have info that things have changed, or are speaking from a position of ignorance. It would be great if it were the former, but I fear the later.

The post about the ATFs requirements from lxpony .... is just plain incorrect unless, of course, things have changed since the processed my SBR form 1.

The BATFE does NOT accept "I could not have legally bought it after the Healy ban" as proof it was owned prior to said ban. Once again, I know this to be fact from experience.
Why would his info be wrong? U yourself said everyone has had a different experience. If BAFTE has been approving them as of late then that’s great, I’m submitting mine.

I'm done going back and forth. this is why I post very little here.

Was your SBR on a pre94 Lower by any chance?

To the OP,
Send in the forms for whatever you want, if it gets approved then great, if the ATF contacts you about evidence/proof of purchase date then fine, I hope you have what’s needed to proceed with your form 1.
Worst case scenario is you are denied and you’ll be given a $200 refund eventually.

To the OP,
Send in the forms for whatever you want, if it gets approved then great, if the ATF contacts you about evidence/proof of purchase date then fine, I hope you have what’s needed to proceed with your form 1.
Worst case scenario is you are denied and you’ll be given a $200 refund eventually.
Purchase date was long after Healey BS. That’s why I was asking about pre 94 approvals

Pre ‘94 shouldn’t have any issues at all. They are still freely transferable in and out of state and don’t need to abide by our current AWB.

Back
Top Bottom