• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ok that's enough, moving on to a T1x

nightpoison

NES Member
So I'm done sinking money into my 10/22's.

PXL_20220324_002418852~2.jpg

I love shooting my 1022's, just so much fun. But I think it's time to build up a PRS .22 bolt rifle. I want to start off with simple bolt rifle rather than just dumping everything into a Vudoo rifle and go from there. I can always buy another rifle, Vudoo or RimX, in the future.

With the exception of the top, $$$$, rifles, like the Anshutz, RimX, and Vudoo. It appears the go to rifles are the CZ457, Tika T1x, and Bergara B14.

I'm leaning towards the Tika. Variety of aftermarket support is key. Seems like there's just more available for the Tika, as the T1x shares the same footprint as the T3x. so they share a lot of the same supported parts.

I just want to start off with the base model, MTR. Anyone see a T1x MTR out in the wild for sale? North shore or or Andover area.

Last edited:
Bergara is compatible with the Rim X and Vudoo as far as chassis choices go

Tikka chassis will only fit Tikka

You may want to consider that for resale or if you start with a chassis that you could upgrade later to a Vudoo barreled action.

Just a thought

I like tikka
In fact I have a complete KRG Bravo all set up with everything for a PRS gun I am selling

So I'm done sinking money into my 10/22's.

View attachment 594486

I love shooting my 1022's, just so much fun. But I think it's time to build up a PRS .22 bolt rifle. I want to start off with simple bolt rifle rather than just dumping everything into a Vudoo rifle and go from there. I can always buy another rifle, Vudoo or RimX, in the future.

With the exception of the top, $$$$, rifles, like the Anshutz, RimX, and Vudoo. It appears the go to rifles are the CZ457, Tika T1x, and Bergara B14.

I'm leaning towards the Tika. Variety of aftermarket support is key. Seems like there's just more available for the Tika, as the T1x shares the same footprint as the T3x. so they share a lot of the same supported parts.

I just want to start off with the base model, MTR. Anyone see a T1x MTR out in the wild for sale? North shore or or Andover area.
Do you mind posting the specs please? Very nice rig.

Don’t waste your time. Out of the gate go with a Vudoo or a Stiller/Holeshot.

Vudoo 22S bench rest rig.

1648175180358.jpeg

Vudoo 22 repeater / trainer

1648175279828.jpeg

I had a T1x that I put in an XLR chassis. It shot great but compared to the 457 that I put in an XLR chassis for my son, it just wasn’t as nice.

Also, be careful because the T1x and T3x aren’t 100% interchangeable. I had to send my chassis back to XLR for them to mill the inlet to fit. And the trigger guard is different because of the mag release. My chassis was a Gen 1 though. And the newer Gen 3 and 4 may be more compatible (minus the mag catch)

If you want the most after market then go with the B14R. All kinds of stuff available for it. REM 700 triggers and chassis will work

Do you mind posting the specs please? Very nice rig.

Don’t waste your time. Out of the gate go with a Vudoo or a Stiller/Holeshot.
Sure.

Oryx chassis, MDT premium grip
Volquartzsen Receiver
Volquartzsen Bolt
Clark custom 18" deep fluted bull barrel
Ruger OEM metal trigger guard
Clark Custom Trigger job
Nikon P22 Scope

Honestly, I personally don't think it was a waste to go through several chassis's , 3 barrels, 2 triggers, a number of mag releases, or several bolt handles. Yes I could have gotten an off the shelf kidd or Volquartzsen and called it a day. But tinkering figuring out what I like was just more fun. Plus I currently have 3.5 10/22's sitting in my safe.

I would like to start with something like the Tikka, shoot it stock, swap out trigger, chassis, barrel, and see what difference it makes. See what I like and don't.

Depending on how serious I get into PRS I may grab a top shelf eventually, but I don't don't think it would be a waste of my time.

I have a 25 year old Glenlivet at home, but I didn't start there, and I still enjoy Single Barrel Jack.

Sure.

Oryx chassis, MDT premium grip
Volquartzsen Receiver
Volquartzsen Bolt
Clark custom 18" deep fluted bull barrel
Ruger OEM metal trigger guard
Clark Custom Trigger job
Nikon P22 Scope

Honestly, I personally don't think it was a waste to go through several chassis's , 3 barrels, 2 triggers, a number of mag releases, or several bolt handles. Yes I could have gotten an off the shelf kidd or Volquartzsen and called it a day. But tinkering figuring out what I like was just more fun. Plus I currently have 3.5 10/22's sitting in my safe.

I would like to start with something like the Tikka, shoot it stock, swap out trigger, chassis, barrel, and see what difference it makes. See what I like and don't.

Depending on how serious I get into PRS I may grab a top shelf eventually, but I don't don't think it would be a waste of my time.

I have a 25 year old Glenlivet at home, but I didn't start there, and I still enjoy Single Barrel Jack.
Thank you very much.

Variety is the spice of life, try this, try that.

it really depends upon the division you intend to shoot with.
the rules now state for a production division the limit on the rifle and optic is $1500 - page15, so it opens up almost any choice from your list. i think there was some competition there limit was set at $1000, and there the cz457 mtr varmint paired with a cheaper scope was working. $1500 gives more options for both the glass and rifles. for open division - sky's the limit.

it really depends upon the division you intend to shoot with.
the rules now state for a production division the limit on the rifle and optic is $1500 - page15, so it opens up almost any choice from your list. i think there was some competition there limit was set at $1000, and there the cz457 mtr varmint paired with a cheaper scope was working. $1500 gives more options for both the glass and rifles. for open division - sky's the limit.
You bring up a good point. I wanted to stay within production division for now.

Here's a question. Let's say I grab a T1x, and a scope for total of $1250. Just playing with numbers. If I swap the stock out and it's $300. Am I now at 1550, or do they subtract an itemized value for the old stock first? Let's say $75, thus keeping me under by $25?

Any idea how that works.

also, fitting into that $1500 range - one of scopes worth mentioning is the primary arms slx 4-14x, with this modification to it to make a functional zero stop:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhqvQUCVrHw

i did it, and it makes this $300 optic pretty decent features wise for what it is. and gives you a decent $1200 for the gun.

If I swap the stock out and it's $300
2.3.2 Rifle: For the purpose of the Production Division, a rifle is defined as a publicly available rifle per the original manufacturers configuration of a complete firearm which will be comprised of at least but not limited to the following: stock with bottom metal or chassis, a complete action, a barrel and a trigger mechanism.

as you see above - you cannot do it for prod, but you can buy a rifle with a stock of your choice. most .22lr guns in prs style chassis are around $1k. like this - but no clue what scope they have there.

2.3.2 Rifle: For the purpose of the Production Division, a rifle is defined as a publicly available rifle per the original manufacturers configuration of a complete firearm which will be comprised of at least but not limited to the following: stock with bottom metal or chassis, a complete action, a barrel and a trigger mechanism.

as you see above - you cannot do it for prod, but you can buy a rifle with a stock of your choice. most .22lr guns in prs style chassis are around $1k. like this - but no clue what scope they have there.
So I read that as, as soon as I swap one of things out I'm now in Open division. Hmm thats going to make me think more about which rifle is going to come with a stock I'm going to like more.

Thanks for the info. I'll read through the documentation.

So I read that as, as soon as I swap one of things out I'm now in Open division. Hmm thats going to make me think more about which rifle is going to come with a stock I'm going to like more.

Thanks for the info. I'll read through the documentation.
yep.

i do not think you have more options for prod class than 24" CZ or tikka - options 4 and 5 in that article. either one will work just fine, i bet. if that precision CZ is still under $1k then it gives you more money for better glass as well. one of recent supposedly good cheap ones can be this:

and as i just looked at it they pushed price up to $564. :) when i pre-ordered it - it was around $520. anyway, it is a balance game.

yep.

i do not think you have more options for prod class than 24" CZ or tikka - options 4 and 5 in that article. either one will work just fine, i bet. if that precision CZ is still under $1k then it gives you more money for better glass as well. one of recent supposedly good cheap ones can be this:

and as i just looked at it they pushed price up to $564. :) when i pre-ordered it - it was around $520. anyway, it is a balance game.
Great info, thanks

You bring up a good point. I wanted to stay within production division for now.

Here's a question. Let's say I grab a T1x, and a scope for total of $1250. Just playing with numbers. If I swap the stock out and it's $300. Am I now at 1550, or do they subtract an itemized value for the old stock first? Let's say $75, thus keeping me under by $25?

Any idea how that works.
I am not even aware of anyone shooting production division in the New England region rimfire PRS. It is fun and cheaper than center fire PRS.
There also is another league for rimfire called MARS.

I am not even aware of anyone shooting production division in the New England region rimfire PRS. It is fun and cheaper than center fire PRS.
There also is another league for rimfire called MARS.

Really, well that sucks. O well then I'll shoot open no matter what I go with.

O wait I'll shoot production and win every match [banana]

Really, well that sucks. O well then I'll shoot open no matter what I go with.

O wait I'll shoot production and win every match [banana]
Yes, do it. I can't remember but if PRS gives a trophy for all the categories, there probably was one for Production at the Rimfire finale in Reading last year but nobody was in that. This years' finale is out in NY at Sheepdog Warrior.

good luck with whatever you choose

If you want the most after market then go with the B14R. All kinds of stuff available for it. REM 700 triggers and chassis will work
Note that the B14R is what Bergara calls their “training rifle”. It’s designed to completely mimic their B14 centerfire rifle, down to the custom 10 round AICS magazine. You can drop a B14R rimfire receiver/barrel into the chassis (including trigger) of a center fire B14 without changing a thing. In fact you can buy the B14R action separately ( Bergara Barrels B14 Action Black .22 LR 18" Barrel 10-Rounds ) and drop it into any Remington 700 compatible chassis. Something to consider if you plan on getting into center fire long range precision shooting.

Back
Top Bottom