OK, so shall I EF10 my stripped lowers or not? Clear opinion please, lets not turn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious as to whether there is a record of the transfer somewhere in .gov that would prove your date of ownership. If say, you bought a lower from a group buy, it goes to an FFL (if the group buy guy isn't one) who then does the NCIS check and does the transfer but does not provide any paperwork. If you still have the lower there should be a record of the transfer somewhere... or not.

Dealer, he did NCIS on the spot.

Why are you all so worried about getting in a single file line for the slaughterhouse? Fa10s are the least of your worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea, but it should be possible to get a copy somehow.

They're not supposed to be able to get them. NICS records are supposed to be deleted, I believe by the next business day after a transaction. 4473's are federal and are treated the same as tax records, that is, they are not shared with anyone, private or government, in theory.

It's crystal clear to me that what happened yesterday is step one of a two step process. Anything you FA-10 is no longer "legal," it is illegal but for now the AG will let you keep it.

After it's clear we the sheeple have swallowed yesterday's edict and it has survived any possible legal challenges, step two will be for the AG, current or future, to withdraw their patronage and you will have 30 days to MOVE out of state or turn it in.

fify

Does the state have access to NICS records or a copy of the 4473?

No, the state has no legal access to the 4473s. Of course BATFE does and many dealers will cave in if requested as they could lose their state license for any or even no reason.

More likely we get charged with a felony and the state allows us to defend ourselves with paper. It's not their job to find us not guilty!!

How do you even fill out an FA-10 for a stripped lower? There's no barrel length, caliber, etc.

The idea is that you file within 10 days of it being able to file a projectile, from what I understand, but barrel length is not a required field.

I may be wrong, but is there another caliber you could build on a 5.56/.223 lower?

The idea is that you file within 10 days of it being able to file a projectile, from what I understand, but barrel length is not a required field.

I may be wrong, but is there another caliber you could build on a 5.56/.223 lower?

It's 7 days, and that's my point. It's not a firearm in MA. Federally it is, but not in MA. As far as the state is concerned, this is like filing an FA-10 for a hammer. It's a hunk of metal until it's capable of firing a shot in MA.

Well I know mine'll be a 16". For caliber I put "multi" although the receiver is stamped 5.56/.223. There's nothing to prevent me from putting a 6.8SPCII upper on it in the future.

Even if registered as .223 or 5.56, NOTHING prevents someone from swapping the upper. New FA-10s were NEVER required each time you did that.

Excellent point.

That is a (the only) good reason to FA-10 a stripped lower now. You get to use it legally (ha!) until it is time to [STRIKE=turn it in]turn it in[/STRIKE] move out of state.

Two brains are better than one.

Last edited:
It's 7 days, and that's my point. It's not a firearm in MA. Federally it is, but not in MA. As far as the state is concerned, this is like filing an FA-10 for a hammer. It's a hunk of metal until it's capable of firing a shot in MA.

Totally get it and agree. I think people are nervous about what happens when that lower turns into a firearm at some point well past the deadline yesterday, though.

There are definitely going to be a lot of people doing that, for sure. And there's no clear reason to think it will be a problem...but then very very little about this situation is clear so some are erring on the side of caution.

EDIT: And DUH of course it's 7 days. My bad, very long day here.

Totally get it and agree. I think people are nervous about what happens when that lower turns into a firearm at some point well past the deadline yesterday, though.

There are definitely going to be a lot of people doing that, for sure. And there's no clear reason to think it will be a problem...but then very very little about this situation is clear so some are erring on the side of caution.

I'm just saying, people are freaking out and handwringing about something that doesn't matter. There are much bigger issues here than how do I fill out a form that doesn't matter yet.

I entered "0" for barrel length and .223 for caliber. **** em if I did this incorrectly at this point. I plan to take all of my evil rifles on a boating trip before I visit my land in VT. I hope I don't have a horrible boating accident because guns don't float.

How do you even fill out an FA-10 for a stripped lower? There's no barrel length, caliber, etc.

Stripped lower? That's the opposite of a topless bar, right?

I've already got everything lined up to go in a very nice safe to be shipped out to my house in a free state. Where is that? None of Mass. damn business. How bad is it when California is a better place to live than here?

Register this..

- - - Updated - - -

On a serious note, I take it complete uppers are no longer available to even consider turning the lower into a firearm?

Register this..

- - - Updated - - -

On a serious note, I take it complete uppers are no longer available to even consider turning the lower into a firearm?

Why not? Parts are parts. IMNSHO (again, IANAL), there's no reason people can't buy any "parts" of an AR you want, other than the lower which is the only serialized bit. People absolutely should continue to be able to put other uppers on their lower(s), either in different configurations, or different calibers.

Trying to put my thoughts down on this.

A stripped lower in MA is not a firearm and shouldn't have an FA10. Some shops do when you purchase but seems go be overkill. It needs to be registered when it can fire a round. Now it's a firearm in the eyes of MA.

With this new guidance, anything before yesterday is okay (for now). So, if you have a stripped lower that wasn't FA10d then I think you'll have more risk in building it later even if you owned it before (hopefully you have a receipt, with date and serial to prove). If you registered it, then it can be built and possessed (for now).

Short story is from my take of you registered them then they're good to build. If you didn't, and have no paper trail, risky to build later and FA10. If you didn't and have a paper trail, less risky to build later and FA10. It's just so damn confusing. The guidance says assault weapons, but then says receivers are prohibited as assault weapons, even when they aren't firearms in MA. Does that mean as assault weapon doesn't even need to be a firearm anymore?

This is just too confusing, and after reading all this I am still not sure of the answer. So lets say I bought a stripped lower last week, but didn't get around to building it until today. Healy says anything bought after the 20th is banned. I bought the lower well before the 20th, but didn't put it together until after the 20th. The law states I have 7 days to FA10 it. Does Healy's new "interpretation" of the law now void out the 7 day grace period to FA10 the now built lower?

This is so messed up.

Put a lower on hold last Saturday. Like always, got delayed. Paid and picked up after work yesterday. Was told to go home and register from shop owner. I'm going to build and enjoy the ****ing thing

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Register this..

- - - Updated - - -

i bought an M4 upper from BCM yesterday morning and it all ready shipped

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom