Ok . One of these stupid NES polls. What is your next gun.

Sure. And lightweight sleeve for a stainless 1022 can hit 90% of the same target. It won't float. It won't be as clever. But it's easier to shoot better and probably more space efficient. And it dis/assembles more quickly.

Again, the AR7 is fine for what it is. But the 1022 is probably better in general. And at some point, I'm sure I'll get an AR7 as well, because "I don't want it; I just need it" or something like that.
If the AR-7 had a threaded barrel and a place to stick a can in the stock, I think it would be my favorite "squirrel gun"

I fingerbanged a VHS a few months ago. I really wanted to like it, but there were several things on that gun that bothered me, so it’s kind of off my “want” list. I’m interested in the new IWI Carmel, but I’d have to handle it first. A Manurhin MR 73 would be nice, but it’s not in the cards until I hit the powerball.
I have half a dozen or so short (300 BO in a 9.5”) to medium (ARs in 556 with barrels ranging from 14.5 to 18”) and long range (6.5CM out of a 20” barrel) rifles. I have pistols (enough). Gear that I most likely never need: plenty. Ammo: enough for now. Knives? You betcha. I think I’m done buying, unless I come across something that totally excites me.

For completes, my first AR, probably a PSA from my LGS. I'm having fun with P80 builds, I am revising and refining two right now and have most of the parts for another so that will be next. I'm set for centerfire pistols after that, but I want a rimfire SA and revolver, a 3" SP101 or a stock Security 6, and maybe a 10/22 (heavily customized of course). I also need an upgraded safe, ASAFP.

For completes, my first AR, probably a PSA from my LGS. I'm having fun with P80 builds, I am revising and refining two right now and have most of the parts for another so that will be next. I'm set for centerfire pistols after that, but I want a rimfire SA and revolver, a 3" SP101 or a stock Security 6, and maybe a 10/22 (heavily customized of course). I also need an upgraded safe, ASAFP.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-gun-safe-26-gun-ts26-45 tractor supply is knocking $100 off a pretty good safe right now. it's not the nicest, but it will get the job done and can bolt to the floor

The “wants” are just stuff that caught my eye and are stuffed way down on the “disposable income purchase” list…

* Springfield Armory SA-35 Hi-Power
* Lever action in 45/70
* another 22LR…maybe a HK or SW fake ar-style

Send in your order to CMP. Prices just keep going up on them
what about those 1911s from CMP - are they any good? worth doing or not so much?
or are they now just the ghosts of the past and do not go on sale anymore?

what about those 1911s from CMP - are they any good? worth doing or not so much?

They’re not inexpensive. I’ve seen pictures of some on other boards, some decent condition, some pretty rough. To me a garand has much more of a history incentive to buy than the 1911s. I’d be interested in one but not for the price they’re charging now.

They’re not inexpensive. I’ve seen pictures of some on other boards, some decent condition, some pretty rough. To me a garand has much more of a history incentive to buy than the 1911s. I’d be interested in one but not for the price they’re charging now.
i noticed the price too, and was also curious if it translates into anything worthy. too bad if not.

on topic - not even sure what else other than an obvious g20 gen5 to get now.
may be will do a .223 bolt action, just for fun. but most likely, not, as i skipped on getting a chassis during black friday.

was not sure how good the cheap blem mdt lss gen2 would be and only got one for the cz - and regret not getting a short action rem700 now.
it was just a $258. should have gotten one.

This year I'm building an AR-10.
So far I have on order an SLR Rifleworks matched upper and lower, Painted in distressed tactical grey.
This will be a year long build with me making intelligent decisions on barrel, trigger, gas systems and bolt.
I want a nice hunting rifle.
I wanted an Ascend Armory upper/lower but those are no where to be found.

This won't be like most of my AR builds where it didn't matter, so it was generic parts, or parts on sale, or lowest prices.

RC

They won't ship to MA. Only state to which CMP will not ship 1911's.

They will ship you a Garand....but no 1911.
well, now i want it. :)

but, nah. i satisfied my recent itch by swapping one of my g17s +$ for an another shadow 2, so i have now optic and irons equipped shadows both.

They won't ship to MA. Only state to which CMP will not ship 1911's.

They will ship you a Garand....but no 1911.
This. And I don’t believe you can ship to a free state dealer either. I think they stated shipping address/state needs to be the same as the buyer etc

See this post from Len
Won't work. CMP will only sell to a person who submits all the paperwork, undergoes a NICS (done by CMP) and ships to a FFL in the same state as the applicant. Applicant goes to pick it up and undergoes a second NICS check plus any state required paperwork. This is also only if you win in their lottery to get a chance at one.

Last edited:

If they would have shipped to MA I would have sent in an application during the first round. I tried to get some old friends in free states to put in their orders but they aren’t big gun guys.

Now that they’re on their 3rd round, I’d probably skip it. You can still find nice WWI and WWII examples for ”ok” prices elsewhere.

I got my 1918 1911 recently and paid just about what they’re asking for service grade and I’d say mine is better condition and a better sample than what I would have gotten from them

Last edited:
The AR7 is definitely fun in a childish "spy gun" kind of way. I used to want one, and sometimes kind of still do. But I think the 1022 takedown in the magpul backpacker stock is probably better all around. Don't let that this sound like I'm trying to talk you out of it, though.

Thanks I never heard of that stock before. I guess I need to watch more youtube videos lol.

The Henry levers only take 2 1/2. Part of my issue may have been I've been hunting squirrel for years with a 12. Got used to taking long shots using full choke and high brass number 4 or 5 shot. With the 410 I even got closer before taking the shots and they gave me the finger and ran. 5 times in one day and I swore off 410 on small game.....for me anyway.

Other than hubting small game super close I can't think of a good reason for 410. Definitely not home defense. The "buckshot" for 410 is 3 or 4 pellets. Slugs in 410 have 44 mag energy but.....why not just use a 44 mag and have the accuracy as well.

Just my 2 cents.
What choke were you using? Henry's ship with a full choke, but extra full or turkey may have improved the patterns enough.

Also, did you test the patterns and choose the best ammo?

The only use I see for 2.5 inch .410 is in handguns, for a shotgun the 3 inch is all that should be used and I think the Henry's limitations in using 2.5 inch make it a poor choice.

3 inch .410 has 5 pellets of 000 Buck, they hit pretty close within 15 yds and I have no reason to question their effect. I'm still on the fence with slugs in .410, they're terrible for hunting and their penetration is garbage, but that also means they won't go into your neighbor's house if you miss.

What choke were you using? Henry's ship with a full choke, but extra full or turkey may have improved the patterns enough.

Also, did you test the patterns and choose the best ammo?

The only use I see for 2.5 inch .410 is in handguns, for a shotgun the 3 inch is all that should be used and I think the Henry's limitations in using 2.5 inch make it a poor choice.

3 inch .410 has 5 pellets of 000 Buck, they hit pretty close within 15 yds and I have no reason to question their effect. I'm still on the fence with slugs in .410, they're terrible for hunting and their penetration is garbage, but that also means they won't go into your neighbor's house if you miss.
I was using full choke. Had a good pattern but only to about 20 yards. Just not enough pellets. Just my opinion.....based in my experience with the gun.....horrible hunting gun and marginal for defensive purposes.

I was using full choke. Had a good pattern but only to about 20 yards. Just not enough pellets. Just my opinion.....based in my experience with the gun.....horrible hunting gun and marginal for defensive purposes.
3 inch has 3/16 oz more shot, about 33% more than 2.5" does. I wouldn't automatically declare .410 terrible until trying 3 inch and my thinking is if .410 was that shit it would have died out long ago.

"All set for centerfire pistols..." Until I saw a Stoeger Cougar .45 at my LGS this afternoon, and now it's all I can think about...

Last edited:
I go back and forth.

I really want a micro Sig p365 size DA/SA gun.. No one besides legacy Manufacturers Beretta and Sig make DA/SA that interest me and they won't work for the role I want want which is off duty scrub carry.

Taurus TH9C (who I just can't force myself to by the quality appears to be better) is the only manufacturer that's made a new DA/SA polymer Double stack type gun.. but its more of the Size of say a Sig P229. Then the XD-E® 3.3″ SINGLE STACK 9MM HANDGUN Springfield.. but might as well just use the 3913 at that point.

I don't understand... the micro 1911s exist.. I only carry the Sig P365 because there isn't a better option.. plus it shoots well.. very well.

Maybe DA/SA would work awful in a small micro Sig P365 size.

The CS9 is stupid expensive... ? parts availability. I may try to get a Kydex mono clip holster for the 3913.

As I go home after work in my car and just use my 508 Kydex IWB holster that I added some monoclips to and carry the Sig P-365 in my scrubs it works perfectly and is not too heavy.

I drive a desk. in a independent MD office. now and I'm happy with it for now. I don't have to wear a mask.. something I need to embrace more.

Back
Top Bottom