• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ok, now I'm really confused - .22 AR conversion legal in CT?

Converting a .223/5.56 AR to a .22 is easy either through a dedicated upper or swooping out the bolt and the magazine, both of which are available from a number of sources. Lower's I've seen don't have a caliper indication. So considering rimfire is not covered under the ban, can we simply convert our rifles to .22? This is hypothetical of course, don't see why someone would do this if they can just as easily register their rifle. But what do you think guys, legal?

read into this, from what i read the answer is no, the lower receiver says .223/5.56 = anal butt rapage

Does "multi cal" work around this?...or would it need to say 22LR on it? Guessing this is an area of the law that is clear as mud.

Probably. It was written by clueless people and rammed through. Best reaction is to openly defy it IMO. **** them

i think it would have to say .22lr on it, your going to have a hard time convincing a cop/judge that its a 22 when its stamped 5.56 on it

Does "multi cal" work around this?...or would it need to say 22LR on it? Guessing this is an area of the law that is clear as mud.

Good question... one of my AR's is a Spikes Tactical (not mentioned specifically as banned) and says Multi Cal on the receiver. So technically, it can be considered a .22 rimfire or a 5.56 centerfire. Stupid law written by ignorant people.

read into this, from what i read the answer is no, the lower receiver says .223/5.56 = anal butt rapage

Conversion - Yes and No, but not for the reason you cited. Whats stamped on the receiver has only to do with federal law. Irrelevant here. What matters is the new law contains language around the idea that if its readily changeable into an AW, its an AW. To that end. If you put a .22 LR conversion in, all it takes to change it into a .223 is to swap the bolts. However, if you were to put in a .22 bolt and remove the gas tube and plug the gas block, you would be ok. The fact that you would need to do some work to get it take a .223 and use it as a semi-auto makes it legal. Since even though its easy to make it a .223, its not easy to make it into a semi-auto. A .223 AR without a gas system is perfectly fine, since it becomes a straight pull bolt action rifle.

Dedicated .22LR AR with all the pre-ban evil features - Yes. Perfectly legal. A lower does not have a caliber associated with it. (should be recorded at "multi") at time of sale. A dedicated upper can in no way "readily" be converted to work with .223.

In fact, I'll sell anyone in CT a brand new AR style lower right now. Its caliber will be Multi. And the model is an AeroPrecision X15. It will be your responsibility to build it into a compliant firearm. That could be a .22LR semi-auto with all the toys or a bolt action centerfire repeater, or even a single shot bolt action .50 BMG. It could also be a pretty standard looking semi-auto .223 AR that has a fixed 10 round magazine.

Don

Stag arms is planning to sell in CT exactly what I described above. It's a .22 AR created by starting with a preban configured .223 AR and removing the gas tube then replacing the bolt with a CMMG conversion bolt.

I know this first hand, I spoke to Stag yesterday.

Because its a real AR barrel, twist is 1:9 rather than something like 1:16, the slower twist being better for the short .22 lr bullets. So it won't be a target gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The caliber stamped on the side is irrelevant with respect to legality. Its all how the item is actually configured. i.e. centerfire vs rimfire.

Re mag release.

Did you invent that? Its BRILLIANT. It is a massive F&*k YOU to the cowards who passed that ridiculous piece of feces on 4/4.

There is only one thing incorrect in the Youtube vid. Once registered, your AW CAN be passed down to your relatives, but you have to die first.

Actually, there is an easy way around that, a trust. Anyone who had a trust on or before 4/4 only had to add their banned firearms to the Schedule A. Then if they just need to add someone as a trustee to allow them to use the gun.

Last edited:
The AR15 and AR10 (copies and duplicates) are still banned by name, how will the AR MR2 help with not having to register with the state?

Edit: Nevermind, I answered my own question. IANAL, but the AR MR2 should allow folks who owned AR15/AR10's prior to and made before 4/4/13 to not apply for a COP. Derp moment.

Last edited:
The caliber stamped on the side is irrelevant with respect to legality. Its all how the item is actually configured. i.e. centerfire vs rimfire.

Re mag release.

Did you invent that? Its BRILLIANT. It is a massive F&*k YOU to the cowards who passed that ridiculous piece of feces on 4/4.

There is only one thing incorrect in the Youtube vid. Once registered, your AW CAN be passed down to your relatives, but you have to die first.

Actually, there is an easy way around that, a trust. Anyone who had a trust on or before 4/4 only had to add their banned firearms to the Schedule A. Then if they just need to add someone as a trustee to allow them to use the gun.

Why yes, yes I did.

I developed it with private funds, and put it into large-scale manufacturing (USA) last week to support the possession and registration deadlines.

I originally designed this to counter the CA legislation being proposed this year, but it would seem our "betters" have been copying each other in the ban language. Based on my expertise in the matter, AR MR2 beats the NY, MD, CT, and soon to be CA bans. I figured if we can't beat them legislatively this year, we'll beat them with engineering.

We don't measure our success in units sold, but in rifles and pistols rescued. We will have AK variants sorted out soon, and proceeds from AR MR2 are funding this effort.

Thank you, and please, spread the word!!!!

Back
Top Bottom