• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK, my big chance and I blew it

So, I'm in the Detroit airport this afternoon waiting for a flight back to Boston when there is a semi-commotion of distinguished looking people in dark business suits approaching the ticket counter.

In the center of the group is Mitt Romney.

Thinking in my usual quick and decisive manner, about ten minutes later I decided to go up and introduce myself to him as a supporter (which I am) but also give a gentle "support the Second Amendment" comment and get his reaction to pass on to you.

Just as I approached, he and his party were whisked on board (ahead of the rest of us) naturally. I don't mind actually. He IS the Governor after all. He could operate like some Governors I've known who would only fly in private jets.

So, I figure that's OK, I'll HAVE to pass by him in first class and he'll be a captive audience and I'll do it then!

Unfortunately, this particular Northwest 757 was configured with a center door entrance with first class going to the left and coach to the right. The riff-raff were not allowed to turn left.

So, I figure that's OK, I'm only in row 3 in coach. Even if he leaves first,
I'll catch up to him.

We land and sure enough, it looks like the Governor's party and I are going to be departing about the same time when all of a sudden this poor woman with a walker stands up in between me and them and proceeds to hobble down the gangway with the rest of the entire plane behind her and unable to get around.

By the time I got into the terminal Mitt and the boys were long gone.

The moral to the story is this....NEVER put me in charge of wedding planning.

Other observations. MItt is extremely charismatic. I've seen him in action before and he's good, but I was struck by the fact that he didn't work the crowd.

Mumbles Menino is an ape in a lot of respects but he is also the classic, instinctive "pol." He knows what side of his bread is buttered.

Here was Romney's chance to work a captive audience of 240 people (99.9 percent of them liberal Democrats) and he didn't do it.

Another observation, he carrying his own McDonald's bag.

I know he's not nearly conservative enough on a lot of issues, especially the ones we care about, BUT I think it's amazing a state like would elect someone like him.

Bill Walton was on the flight as well.
[lol]

When I moved to this state I was shocked that Celluci <--sp was Govenor. And shocked again when Romney was elected. I soon realized that the Conservative Govenors in this state have zero power because the house and state senate are all flaming Liberals. They can still push their far left agenda even with a Republican Govenor.

And a mass republican gov is a democrat down south. (IE they are no friend of the 2nd )
Mitt was behind the 100.00 LTC cost if I am not mistaken.

Glenn, not quite. Mitt recommended a $50 fee (from $25). The legislature won't go along with any of his recommendations plus they wanted to trump him, so that legislature doubled the recommendation to $100.

And now you have the rest of the story! [twisted]

derek said:
When I moved to this state I was shocked that Celluci <--sp was Govenor. And shocked again when Romney was elected. I soon realized that the Conservative Govenors in this state have zero power because the house and state senate are all flaming Liberals. They can still push their far left agenda even with a Republican Govenor.

Yup - strange folks in this here state. They elect a R Gov. and keep putting the same A$$holes in power. See - the voter thinks he should have some kind of balance, ergo, the R Gov. What the idiot masses don't understand is the D's ARE in power and the R Gov. can't do diddly about it. So what if he vetos a bill, it'll get passed anyway.

I haven't mentioned of late just how much I hate this state, have I? [evil]

There was an interesting example of balance in California when I lived there. In California voters vote the Governor and Lt Gov separately rather than as a pair. The parties always run their candidates as a single tickets, but a voter can vote an R for one and a D for the other. For a stretch of about 20 years we had a Governor from one party and a Lt Gov from the other.
Now in Massachusetts, the writers of the constitution never seemed to have any clear idea of why they put in a Lt Gov in the first place. The Governor is the Governor as long as s/he's alive or until s/he wither resigns or is impeached, which point the Lt Gov becomes acting governor.
OTOH, in California the Lt Gov seems to have a real job. If a Governor dies, resigns or is impeached the Lt Gov instantly becomes the Governor. Even more interesting is the fact that whenever the Governor is out of state, the Lt Gov holds the full powers of Governor. So whenever Ronald Reagan or Jerry Brown left the state to campaign for national office, attend conferences or make political speeches, their Lt Govs of the other party had complete power to issue pardons (no Governor's Council to second guess them there), nominate judges, appoint people to vacancies, and sign or veto bills that came to the Governor's desk. Talk about balance of power ...

Ken

Back
Top Bottom