• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ok I want to get into this where do I start?

You just missed the steel shoot we had at holbrook.
Did it sunday.
Set-up knockdown plates, clays and ran smoke-and-hope.
We use it as an intro-to steel challenge.

I've had the flue for the last 10 days , I was going to go with another forum member but I just wasn't up to it :(

well 6 months later and I've got a CZ Shadow 2, my M&P 9L and a Ruger Mark III Stainless Steel target model
with a Vortex Venom on it and all Volquartsen internals.
Been shooting steel plates with a buddy of mine on this forum down at Braintree
and with a coworker up in Andover (their steel plate pistol range is really nice)
To say I've got the bug is an understatement. Going through Orientation at Holbrook this Saturday, all signed up for the 2 day intro to USPSA at Hopkinton April 21,22. Definitely going to be doing as many competitions as I can squeeze in this season.
Maybe try for the next indoor Steel Plate match coming up at Hopkinton if I can steel away on a Wednesday night.
I'm driving my poor wife crazy dry firing all the time when I'm sitting around at home. She thinks I've completely lost it LOL!
thanks for all of input guys :) Looking forward to meeting up with you at some matches this year.

Nice!! There's an IDPA match at Worcester on Saturday if you're over the flu by then.

Enjoy brother. Its allot of fun just getting my feet wet as well. Love it.

I want to get into some competitive shooting (IDPA, steel plate challenges etc)
I've been shooting for a couple of years now and I'd love to "hone" my skills some more.
this seems like a great way to go, are there any clubs in MASS where you can go and learn
how these matches work and more importantly ....practice?
SInce I've never done anything like this before I'm kind of clueless about IDPA and USPSA
I know there are some matches at the Harvard sportsmans club, any others near by to Deham?
I've got an M&P PC9L red dot incoming and I'm most likely going to grab a Mark III or IV competition 22
MY club: Massapoag has pistol comps once a month. I walked into lasts month (unknowing it was going on I just hit the range to shoot) and the guys there were having a blast, so I'm going to start there but I'd like to do some steel plate etc
once I get accustomed to my new 9L. Are there any "intro to IDPA" type of classes ever run locally
I guess my real question sis "where can I train to do this locally"?

I want to get into some competitive shooting (IDPA, steel plate challenges etc)
I've been shooting for a couple of years now and I'd love to "hone" my skills some more.
this seems like a great way to go, are there any clubs in MASS where you can go and learn
how these matches work and more importantly ....practice?
SInce I've never done anything like this before I'm kind of clueless about IDPA and USPSA
I know there are some matches at the Harvard sportsmans club, any others near by to Deham?
I've got an M&P PC9L red dot incoming and I'm most likely going to grab a Mark III or IV competition 22
MY club: Massapoag has pistol comps once a month. I walked into lasts month (unknowing it was going on I just hit the range to shoot) and the guys there were having a blast, so I'm going to start there but I'd like to do some steel plate etc
once I get accustomed to my new 9L. Are there any "intro to IDPA" type of classes ever run locally
I guess my real question sis "where can I train to do this locally"?
Might be a drive for you but Country Pond Fish and Game in Newton NH (just over the boarder) runs centerfire plate shoots once a month. Very low key friendly bunch of folks that do them. They record your times and all of that but they are very welcoming to folks just starting out in shooting steel. Only require that you have knowledge of your fire arm and obey the safety rules. Its a "no judgment zone" for sure! Link to their coming events below....anything in green is open to the public.

looks like the next centerfire plate shoot is the 25th. There is a rimfire plate shoot this sunday......those are a blast as well.

Country Pond Fish and Game Club Coming Events

Might be a drive for you but Country Pond Fish and Game in Newton NH (just over the boarder) runs centerfire plate shoots once a month. Very low key friendly bunch of folks that do them. They record your times and all of that but they are very welcoming to folks just starting out in shooting steel. Only require that you have knowledge of your fire arm and obey the safety rules. Its a "no judgment zone" for sure! Link to their coming events below....anything in green is open to the public.

looks like the next centerfire plate shoot is the 25th. There is a rimfire plate shoot this sunday......those are a blast as well.

Country Pond Fish and Game Club Coming Events

Hmm never been up there before. Might have to check it out sometime.

Hmm never been up there before. Might have to check it out sometime.
Like I said they welcome all skill levels......just require that you at least know how your gun operates and obey the safety rules. Only thing you need to do is be there for the safety brief before they start shooting.......its not a "walk in whenever you want" kind of thing and get in line.

I've shot plates at Country Pond before, (my brother is a member) and they are indeed a great bunch of guys.
I've been a member for 3 years. I run the Wednesday afternoon plate practice sessions in summer. We do centerfire and rimfire plates. Every Wednesday afternoon from 5pm to sundown April through September. That one is open to members and guests only (we try to keep that one to members only so the line isn't as long).......but if you are in the area and want to swing in just pm me and anyone can be my "guest".

did my first bowling pin shoot tonight down at Holbrook.
now that was FUN!!!!
great bunch of guys to boot.
I popped my cherry tonight
Can't wait for the steel challenges to start up :)
I can see how this could become very addicting

Last edited:
Hopkinton Sportsmans Club has a great Wednesday night steel plate bracket night. 6pm, bring a pile of $1s and a bunch of ammo. It can get a little crowded in there when its running at its peak but its a great time for sure. Next one is Wednesday Feb 28th

Hopkinton Sportsmans Club has a great Wednesday night steel plate bracket night. 6pm, bring a pile of $1s and a bunch of ammo. It can get a little crowded in there when its running at its peak but its a great time for sure. Next one is Wednesday Feb 28th
I plan on attending this one :)

If you're on the Cape again this Summer, send me a PM. I usually hit steel challenge at Bass River every Wednesday afternoon once they get going. This year it may only be every other Wednesday however. But besides those there are usually IDPA or USPSA matches on the weekends at several of the clubs on the Cape. I hit Old Colony IDPA pretty frequently too but I stop going there after Memorial Day because it's too much of a PITA getting back on Cape just after noon on a Saturday during the tourist season. ;)

ETA: I also plan on going to Mini Walls at Wallum Lake in RI which should be sometime late April/ early May. That's a great time. Lots of shooters. Lots of fun.

Back
Top Bottom