• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

OK...FINALLY....I got one!

Congrats!

I felt like a dick this year. I get invited to a nice piece that some friends keep stands in, clear lanes etc. for archery. Shotgun season; I walked into the woods, sat down in a stand and within 3 hours was dragging a nice doe out. Missed a nice buck that was with her. At the truck havin a snack at 10am.
My buddy had spent 10 or so days during archery season in the same area with no luck.
I hate people that do that, but I must admit...its kinda fun

Some days you are lucky and other days you are not. I’ve hunted one stand and seen nothing and another day my kid shot a doe with me and I didn’t even have time to put my stuff down.

Congrats!

I felt like a dick this year. I get invited to a nice piece that some friends keep stands in, clear lanes etc. for archery. Shotgun season; I walked into the woods, sat down in a stand and within 3 hours was dragging a nice doe out. Missed a nice buck that was with her. At the truck havin a snack at 10am.
My buddy had spent 10 or so days during archery season in the same area with no luck.
I hate people that do that, but I must admit...its kinda fun
Don't feel bad my friend. Its my opinion that deer hunting is about 30% skill and 70% luck especially in mass and southern nh. I hunted NH for deer for the first time this season. I did a small amount of scouting for a couple weeks before muzzle season opened and talked to some local guys about spots and they gave me some advice. Scouting I found two decent trails through a dryish river bed that deer were using alot......it was a low gully and seemed to me it provided some cover as they went through because it was a pretty deep ditch. That's where I missed my opportunity on a doe she came right through that gully but I was not paying attention and she got too close to me before I saw her and didn't get the gun up ahead of time.

I saw deer every time I went out for the first 5 attempts but none were clean shots. Missed an opportunity on a good doe one afternoon that was cold ans rainy when I just wasn't paying attention and she got within 20 yards of me and busted me before I got the gun up. Then the 6th time out I connected with a decent buck that was rutting hard. Never had a season where I saw deer every trip out! Was it my skill.....nope! I think I just got lucky this year to see so many.

My go to attitude is "you can't shoot a deer sitting on the couch" sometines you just have to get out there hope lady luck is on your side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom