• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ohio State Trooper's 4-year-old son dies after accidentally shooting himself using work-issued gun

KVX

Ohio State Trooper's 4-year-old son dies after accidentally shooting himself using work-issued gun

The son of an Ohio State Trooper died on Mother’s day after accidentally shooting himself in the head with his father’s work-issued gun, authorities said.

Evan Sun, 4, died Sunday at approximately 12:52 p.m. after sustaining a single gunshot wound to the face, the Lucas County Coroners Office said.

Authorities believe that Evan found an “unsecured weapon” which belonged to his father who serves as an Ohio State Trooper. The firearm was used as a “back-up” weapon.

Sergeant Tiffany Meeks with the Ohio State Highway Patrol identified the father as Trooper Fu Z. Sun with the Toledo division.

Source: 4-year-old dies after finding gun from dad, a state trooper

My sympathies to the Trooper and his family, regardless of the legal or work ramifications, his life as he knew it is over.... he will never be the same, he will spend the rest of his life in a living hell.

I would not wish that anguish upon anyone.

The Trooper is a recent academy graduate..... probationary so he is toast if I had to guess.

( and for those of you that have never had to bury a child, you have no idea what it does to you and I would not want any of you to have to find out )

This will no doubt be treated ass an accident rather than criminal negligence or child endangerment.
Just like the parent a couple weeks ago perhaps who left thier unsecured firearm in thier car? Which almost all here had no problem with no charges because in their view she Had already paid the price through her sorrow. I Wonder if those same folks feel that way for this trooper?

Just like the parent a couple weeks ago perhaps who left thier unsecured firearm in thier car? Which almost all here had no problem with no charges because in their view she Had already paid the price through her sorrow. I Wonder if those same folks feel that way for this trooper?

THIS.

There is nothing any court or jail in the world could do to him that would come anywhere near what he's going to have to live with.
Sometimes this sort of thing gets prosecuted to send a message to the public, as well as boost a DA's career win record.

I wouldn't doubt that at all.
Chances are he ends up taking his own life long before they get to trial.
1. It won't get to trial - remember this was an LEO

2. This is the kind of thing where a plea bargain is likely if there is prosecution.

I definitely feel that when a parent makes a mistake and ruins their own life, we don’t need the government to step in and punish them further.

Sometimes this sort of thing gets prosecuted to send a message to the public, as well as boost a DA's career win record.

What message? That the government can shoot down an airliner by accident and everyone gets medals, but if a civilian f***s up they gotta pay? Yeah, the government is full of hypocrites, we know.

My 4yo, whose big for his age, can shoot a 22 revolver in single action, he loves it. He can’t hit shit, but he loves making it go boom. I had him try to pull the trigger on an unloaded glock with a little trigger work, and it took all he had with two hands, for the striker to fire. He sure as hell cant cycle a slide on anything (although I don’t have one of those 380 ez shields). I don’t leave chambered guns laying around. I let my kids handle guns all they want, my son likes to more so than his older sister, but she does like shooting her 22.

I feel very badly for the kid and family. However, the fact that he will be given special treatment as an LEO is pure treason in my mind. Equal protection, or no laws at all.

I blew up a jug of water in front of my 6 year old daughter with a .223 VMax round, just to show her the frightening amount of damage that one lousy bullet can do. Then, she received her first .22 rifle. Believe me, after seeing what a gun can do, she has the utmost respect for them. Never too early to start teaching kids about gun safety.

Back
Top Bottom