Ohio police respond to man with a gun call

If state law doesn't prohibit open carry, and if it allows for concealed carry (possibly requiring a license to do so), then a report of a "man with a gun" (without any specific claim of threatening behavior or something else to raise a flag) is simply a report of a "man obeying the law", and should be treated as such until there's some evidence to the contrary. Do police need to respond to see what's actually going on? OF course they do. Do they have to take care of themselves when responding? Absolutely! But none of that requires treating the guy with the gun in anything other than a polite, professional manner. The guy might be a complete ass, but if that were a crime, half the public (including most politicians and bosses) would be doing life. Police are under pressure a lot of the time, and sometimes this might push them a bit over the line. When it does, they should have the balls to admit it, and not play the victim, pretending that it's the other guy's fault. After all, knowing how to deal with idiots with attitudes is probably the biggest part of their day to day jobs.

Ken

Didn't read it very closely, but in the Ohio forum, they mentioned they'd busted him on a local ordinance that prohibits all firearms within the city limits.

Did anyone take note of, or have a problem with one of the officers sweeping the passing traffic with the muzzle of the suspect's gun while he was unloading it?

Sorry, but this guy was just a complete yahoo. If this dude has been the least bit cooperative with the officers, the whole incident could have been resolved much more quickly and with much less stress.

We have no idea of this dude's history, but he sounds like someone who has some type of issue with the police in the past. While I am typing this, and listening, the officers are questioning the suspect about a previous arrest.

Personally, I think the officers actually displayed admirable restraint in dealing with this nitwit. Once the police received the "man with a gun" call, it is not really left to their discretion as to whether the call is worth investigating without actually investigating. They have no idea if the guy is carrying legally or not, until they can question him.

The claim that both doors are stuck and can't be openned would have given me concern as well had I been one of those officers. The little value many perps put on human life should make anyone exercise extra caution.

Back
Top Bottom