• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ohio CC holder in Orleans court

The woman is a poster child for the need for national reciprocity.

Imagin for a minute that your DRIVERS LICENSE wasn't valid in all 50 states? That you needed to check to see if the states you were going to drive in recognized your state issued drivers license? That you had to obtain (at $100 / year) a non-resident drivers license to drive in a neighboring state?

(I know, don't give mass legislators any ideas about possible revenue stream from $100 per year non-resident drivers licenses)

In free states you don't need any sort of permit to own a gun. People have had guns all their lives and have only the most vague, passing understanding of gun laws within their own state, forget federal or interstate laws.
Absolutely true, but since I learned in the 6th grade that each state has its own laws, I checked the firearms laws and left the family stuff out of this perverse region. I'm sorry, ignorance of a law is not a defense, and if someone is too damn dumb to even do the most basic google search related to a subject were some people wet their beds over it, well, why waste time feeling sorry for them? Research and know, or act at your own peril. She wasn't doing anything wrong in "Free America" but she left her rights as an American citizen when she came to MA.

Most people are aware that every state have different laws. If you go to another state with out reading their laws,then you are responsabile. Notthat I think its right but she should have known better.

Actually, in 90% of the country the idea that permits are needed to own firearms is an entirely foreign concept.

Another thought. If she just moved here, does she not have a period of time to get a license? Also, the new Supreme court case, she may still have the right to the gun in her home. A good lawyer may make some new case law for MA. Maybe goal should help her.

There is a 60 day window, yes.

Lots of offenses can be overlooked by leos, but it gets tricky when there is an actual complaintant. Add in the fact that said complaintant in this case was a .gov employee who was apparently of the opinion that this woman should be disarmed, and the cops on scene can't really turn a blind eye to it.

Despite what anyone thinks about it, this woman was breaking the law (a stupid, unconstitutional law, yes) and you can't expect a cop to throw away his career and lose his ability to provide for his family to protect some dumbass that broke the law. That is up to the court system.

I said it in another thread, but people do get breaks for this kind of thing all the time. I know it for a fact. It depends on the officer and the situation, but it does happen. There are MANY pro 2A cops in MA, they just don't shout it from the rooftops.

http://federalfirearmlaws.com/gun-permit/gun-permit-by-state/

12 states require a permit or license to purchase handguns

Looks like Washington, DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, American Samo and Massachussetts are the only states/territories that require a permit to posess a handgun. Nice to see what company MA holds itself in.

Michigan requires a license, which is valid for 10 days, for every purchase of a handgun, unless the purchaser holds a license to carry a concealed handgun. - At least they don't NEED an LTC to purchase a handgun, but wow - only valid for 10 days??

Looks like Washington, DC, Guam, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, American Samo and Massachussetts are the only states/territories that require a permit to posess a handgun. Nice to see what company MA holds itself in.

Michigan requires a license, which is valid for 10 days, for every purchase of a handgun, unless the purchaser holds a license to carry a concealed handgun. - At least they don't NEED an LTC to purchase a handgun, but wow - only valid for 10 days??

Purchase, not possession. Only NY, MA and HI require a permit to possess handguns. MA and HI on long guns. [rolleyes]

Illinois and North Carolina do too.

In fact, Illinois requires its residents to have an FOID (Firearm Owners ID) to buy or possess ANY firearm or ammunition. There are significant exemptions for non-residents visiting Illinois and they are nowhere near as limiting as those in MA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that the charge is for unlawful possession of a large capacity firearm but not a large capacity magazine. If the person was moving I seem to remember there is some sort of temporary provision for possession until MA licensing can be obtained but the magazine would still be illegal (unless its a preban of course). Either way the improper storage is an issue. God this state blows. I hope for her sake she can get a lawyer to either make this go away or at least plead it out to a misdemeanor so she can keep her Ohio license.

As much as I hate the gun laws in this state, she didn't violate an obscure one that was difficult to find. It doesn't take much of a check (handgunlaw.us) to find out that your Ohio permit probably won't work in MA the way you assume.

I agree with you 100% with the exception of that last line. This may seem gut simple to do research on the internet to most of us, there is a segment of the population - especially from her generation that either have never used, or have no use for computers. Even my own dad, who is 69, has never used a computer (even though my step mother has one), and couldn't be bothered to even try to use one. Still not really an excuse for not knowing the law, but it is certainly harder to research without using a computer.

Social workers don't just appear at people's homes for no reason, they don't get to snoop around our homes without a reason to be there, and thus they don't call the police unless they were there for some reason . . . totally unknown to us.

Anyone can call the police or child services and report anything they "think is strange" in a social context and a social worker is required to follow up.

So I would very much disagree that "Social workers don't just appear at people's homes for no reason". I've known a few parents have visits simply because they spanked their kids in public.

Anyone can call the police or child services and report anything they "think is strange" in a social context and a social worker is required to follow up.

So I would very much disagree that "Social workers don't just appear at people's homes for no reason". I've known a few parents have visits simply because they spanked their kids in public.

I have seen that crap happen too, and once you get into "the system" it is a bitch to get your life back. Just more intrusion by big brother...

xtry51, we don't disagree.

The busybody <sorry, social worker> was there for some "reason" (real or imagined). Once they get their claws into you, you are DONE!

IIRC, IL FOIDs are shall issue

You do remember correctly. Years ago a newborn was issued one.

(430 ILCS 65/5) (from Ch. 38, par. 83‑5)
Sec. 5. The Department of State Police shall either approve or deny all applications within 30 days from the date they are received, and every applicant found qualified pursuant to Section 8 of this Act by the Department shall be entitled to a Firearm Owner's Identification Card upon the payment of a $10 fee. Any applicant who is an active duty member of the Armed Forces of the United States, a member of the Illinois National Guard, or a member of the Reserve Forces of the United States is exempt from the application fee. $6 of each fee derived from the issuance of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards, or renewals thereof, shall be deposited in the Wildlife and Fish Fund in the State Treasury; $1 of such fee shall be deposited in the State Police Services Fund and $3 of such fee shall be deposited in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund. Monies in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund shall be used exclusively to pay for the cost of sending notices of expiration of Firearm Owner's Identification Cards under Section 13.2 of this Act. Excess monies in the Firearm Owner's Notification Fund shall be used to ensure the prompt and efficient processing of applications received under Section 4 of this Act.
(Source: P.A. 95‑581, eff. 6‑1‑08; 96‑91, eff. 7‑27‑09.)

Back
Top Bottom