Ohio CC holder in Orleans court

A woman with a Valid conceal carry permit from Ohio was arrested in Dennis for having a Berreta 9mm with a large capacity magazine.

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.php/Court

Name, 63, P.O. Box 536, 10 Bay Ridge Dr, S. Dennis; unlawful possession of a large capacity firearm, improper storage of a large capacity firearm February 12 in Dennis. According to police reports, officers responding to a social worker's call found Kasonovic, an Ohio resident at 10 Bay Ridge Drive. Kasanovic told officers she had a firearm on the nightstand in her bedroom. The gun was a 9mm black Beretta, loaded with a large capacity magazine holding thirteen 77 Speer 9mm rounds. Kasanovic produced a Franklin County, Ohio concealed handgun license. When contacted by police, a Franklin County Sheriff's Department supervisor confirmed Kasanovic's gun license was valid, but not outside the State of Ohio, and for this reason he would be revoking her license. The arresting officer asked the Franklin County supervisor whether Kasanovic had any other firearms registered to her. The supervisor responded, "they (the public) are not required in Ohio to register firearms."

Most people are NOT aware that every state have different laws. If you go to another state with out reading their laws,then you are responsabile. Notthat I think its right but she should have known better.

FIFY!

Truly, read the posts here . . .

Most people in MA don't understand what their permits allow/disallow in MA. I am 100% certain that many people outside of MA do not understand that their in-state permits do not cover them in many other states. They probably think it is like their DL which is recognized in all 50 states.

Likewise, the OH Supervisor quoted is clueless that other states (MA isn't one of them) recognize her OH permit. His statement "Kasanovic's gun license was valid, but not outside the State of Ohio, and for this reason he would be revoking her license." shows his ignorance and knee-jerk reaction just like that of many CLEOs in MA (revoke on the drop of a pin).

[STRIKE]unreal[/STRIKE] all too real

FIFY

The defendant is toast. We say they should have known better, this is the PRM, after all, but...it's possible that they thought one state-issued license (gun) was as valid as another state-issued license (car)

I guess that's the one good thing about having to be hyper-vigilant about legal compliance...we're so twitchy here, we'd be twitchy about the rules elsewhere, too.

I for one am glad this 63 year old potential shooter is locked up in the hoosgow. She was obviously a threat to society. I will sleep much better now.

Now she is rubbing shoulders with other criminals of her ilk at the courtroom, such as:

ALATI, Danielle M, 34, 691 Rte 28 Apt 13, W. Dennis; two counts, assault & battery on a police officer; destruction of property over $250; resisting arrest March 3 in Dennis.

KELLEY, Patrick, 17, 118 Bearse's Way, Hyannis; assault & battery with a dangerous weapon, a blunt object;

LANGVILLE, Waide, 25, 23 General Patton Dr, Hyannis; assault & battery with a dangerous weapon; assault & battery; intimidating a witness,

LOKEY, Lynn, 43, 3 Guy Ln, Hyannis; assault & battery with a dangerous weapon, a glass; assault & battery March 11 in Barnstable

SENNO, Lloyd, 63, 881 Rte 28 Apt #10, Yarmouth; assault & battery

WASHINGTON, Inga M, 39, 35 Ashumet Rd, Mashpee; trafficking in heroin, morphine or opium; Class B drug possession, March 12 in Barnstable.

FLORIO, Michael F, 22, 607 Rte 28, Dennis; breaking & entering at nighttime for felonious purposes, assault & battery, breaking & entering misdemeanor

NEWELL, Rochelle M, 20, 88 Quaker Rd, Hyannis; carrying a dangerous weapon, brass knuckles,

.....oh, wait. Maybe it was just a scared old lady who was reading the paper and noticed what a dangerous area she was living in and decided she needed to keep her deceased hubbies gun on the night stand in case one of these aholes broke into her place. Nice going police! Run her thru the system to teach her a lesson.

FIFY!

Truly, read the posts here . . .

Most people in MA don't understand what their permits allow/disallow in MA. I am 100% certain that many people outside of MA do not understand that their in-state permits do not cover them in many other states. They probably think it is like their DL which is recognized in all 50 states.

Likewise, the OH Supervisor quoted is clueless that other states (MA isn't one of them) recognize her OH permit. His statement "Kasanovic's gun
license was valid, but not outside the State of Ohio, and for this reason he would be revoking her license." shows his ignorance and knee-jerk reaction just like that of many CLEOs in MA (revoke on the drop of a pin).
you missed my point. I am not talking about the details of laws. Im saying americans are aware that states have different laws. This is something we learn in 6th grade US history. Not knowing the details of all the laws is a different story. Im just saying she should have known better before bringing a gun into another state.

I was not criticizing your post, just pointing out that many here don't understand the laws and I am not confident that folks in Free America know that they can't just pack their stuff and travel. Most states do not restrict gun possession in homes, just CCW. This lady wasn't "carrying" but had it for home protection.

I do have to wonder WHY a social worker was involved however!

I can't stand MA. What's funnier....some of the MA Leos wonder why they lost a friend in the pro-gun community....they need look no further than themselves when it comes to judgement calls on innocent people. One more reason to add to the book.

I can't stand MA. What's funnier....some of the MA Leos wonder why they lost a friend in the pro-gun community....they need look no further than themselves when it comes to judgement calls on innocent people. One more reason to add to the book.

I'm not ready to condemn anyone yet! <stressing the "yet">

There IS a lot more to this story that we don't know.

Social workers don't just appear at people's homes for no reason, they don't get to snoop around our homes without a reason to be there, and thus they don't call the police unless they were there for some reason . . . totally unknown to us.

The story is about the arrest, not what led up to it.

The law is stupid, ignores the 2ndA (what's new for MA), etc. but without further info none of us can make an intelligent statement about what went on here.

When contacted by police, a Franklin County Sheriff's Department supervisor confirmed Kasanovic's gun license was valid, but not outside the State of Ohio, and for this reason he would be revoking her license.
That is BS. Ohio's license is most certainly valid outside of Ohio. Evidently whoever was talked to at the FCSO doesn't know the Ohio AG maintains a page on their website with all the states where Ohio's CHL is valid. MA isn't one, but that per se is no lawful reason to revoke the license. Unlike MA, Ohio Sheriffs have no discretion in issue, denial, or revocation of such licenses. There must be an underlying conviction or reason backed up by state law for denial or revocation.

ETA: She will get her license revoked due to this:
(d) The applicant is not under indictment for or otherwise charged with a felony; an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse; a misdemeanor offense of violence; or a violation of section 2903.14 or 2923.1211 of the Revised Code.
since just about any firearms violation in MA is a felony.

The arresting officer asked the Franklin County supervisor whether Kasanovic had any other firearms registered to her. The supervisor responded, "they (the public) are not required in Ohio to register firearms."

LOL at MA cops. Rude awakening about how the rest of the country works.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not ready to condemn anyone yet! <stressing the "yet">

There IS a lot more to this story that we don't know.

Social workers don't just appear at people's homes for no reason, they don't get to snoop around our homes without a reason to be there, and thus they don't call the police unless they were there for some reason . . . totally unknown to us.

The story is about the arrest, not what led up to it.

The law is stupid, ignores the 2ndA (what's new for MA), etc. but without further info none of us can make an intelligent statement about what went on here.

I agree. In order for a social worker to show up, it has to be either 1) routine visit IE: Foster home or 2) A serious issue/accusation

Take the social worker out of the situation, and it's wrong....but you're right in the sense that there must have been some sort of issue worthy enough for one to be there in the first place.

I stand corrected. I still won't retract my police statement though, they will do it at any chance they can get, whether the social worker or a traffic stop....reason enough to make the arrest of a law abiding citizen

Wow, what a threat to society. [rolleyes] Does anyone else wish there were cops who would just say "be on your way" when confronted with victimless crimes? I just couldn't be a cop and enforce these laws, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night feeling like such a scumbag. Resistance has to start somewhere.

why was the social worker there snooping around?

Putting together some other info I had, it appears to involve a minor who was out of control, police called, minor was already under the control of dss, case worker called in. Police ask standard questions; are their firearms in the house? She must have had no Idea of MA gun law. This is all just my opinion based on some other info I had.

Another thought. If she just moved here, does she not have a period of time to get a license? Also, the new Supreme court case, she may still have the right to the gun in her home. A good lawyer may make some new case law for MA. Maybe goal should help her.

Wow, what a threat to society. [rolleyes] Does anyone else wish there were cops who would just say "be on your way" when confronted with victimless crimes? I just couldn't be a cop and enforce these laws, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night feeling like such a scumbag. Resistance has to start somewhere.

Just another way to create victims....more victims = bigger budget for the department. It's a win win, more money for them, and more dependence on the "lawr". I can't wait till the proverbial ban hammer comes crashing down on these anti-americans with the big hand of scotus. Put them all behind bars for god knows how many murders they are indirectly responsible for by preventing innocents from protecting themselves. Think of all the innocent lives that could have been saved if they were able to fight back....wait, no our AG and cleos (some not all) discourage self help, they would rather see blood of the innocent spilled than potentially lose dependency and a budget. I don't hate cops at all, tons of respect for the blues and what they do, I just hate the ones that forgot about the oath they took.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do these people not understand? As if requiring a non-resident temporary LTC merely to possess a handgun isn't enough, the process and expense required to obtain such a license is blatantly unconstitutional.

Interesting that the charge is for unlawful possession of a large capacity firearm but not a large capacity magazine. If the person was moving I seem to remember there is some sort of temporary provision for possession until MA licensing can be obtained but the magazine would still be illegal (unless its a preban of course). Either way the improper storage is an issue. God this state blows. I hope for her sake she can get a lawyer to either make this go away or at least plead it out to a misdemeanor so she can keep her Ohio license.

As much as I hate the gun laws in this state, she didn't violate an obscure one that was difficult to find. It doesn't take much of a check (handgunlaw.us) to find out that your Ohio permit probably won't work in MA the way you assume.

I stand corrected. I still won't retract my police statement though, they will do it at any chance they can get, whether the social worker or a traffic stop....reason enough to make the arrest of a law abiding citizen

And how exactly did this become the officers' fault?

It's their job to uphold UNCONSTITUTIONAL laws in MA...leos that truly believe in the constitution could easily take a stand but choose not to. Why?

Take a stand? Really? While you may have the option to not do your job, I suppose if you don't like the laws, you can just ignore them. Unfortunately, it isn't that easy to do. Some laws have a discretionary enforcement. Others, like this, probably don't. We don't know why a 63 year old "Ohio Resident" is living here, and/or why social services was at the house.

Why don't we wait for the rest of the story (if we get that) before giving out faults.

Most people are aware that every state have different laws. If you go to another state with out reading their laws,then you are responsabile. Notthat I think its right but she should have known better.

In free states you don't need any sort of permit to own a gun. People have had guns all their lives and have only the most vague, passing understanding of gun laws within their own state, forget federal or interstate laws.

In Mass. or most of the rest of the NE, you're considered a criminal merely for expressing interest in a gun. You have to go through classes, etc. The culture is such that most people have at least a passing understanding of the laws where they live. Honestly, it wouldn't occur to most people that there would be a problem having a gun on your bedside merely because you crossed state lines. WE all know that, but the majority of gun owners probably wouldn't.

Every time I talk to people out here about gun laws I'm amazed at the ignorance on the subject. You would not believe what people think is ok. I've had people who own sawed off shotguns (illegal under state law as well as federal) think that it's perfectly ok, or "I'll pay the fine, no big deal." You practically have to print out the USC for them to grasp serious felony.

So ya, granny almost certainly had no idea she was doing anything illegal. And she certainly wasn't doing anything "wrong."

OH, YES IT IS, AND YES YOU CAN. I for one after the 1998 gunlaw, declined to ask any one to produce an FID or LTC for the MEER presence of a firearm. There was no one who was going to make me do it. As a person who on SEVERAL occassions took the Oath to The Constitution of United States, I was willing to take that stand.
The only times an action is required as taking some one into custody: Is Domestic issue and the other is based on a warrant. Those two times are required arrests.(by statute)

Officer's Discretion works best when there aren't a bunch of VESTED INTEREST Lookieloos around. The social worker (they don't believe that anyone should have guns. least of all any families they have contact with) could make trouble for the officer involved if he merely looked the other way in this case. Just saying . . .

A woman with a Valid conceal carry permit from Ohio was arrested in Dennis for having a Berreta 9mm with a large capacity magazine.

http://www.capecodtoday.com/blogs/index.php/Court

Name, 63, P.O. Box 536, 10 Bay Ridge Dr, S. Dennis; unlawful possession of a large capacity firearm, improper storage of a large capacity firearm February 12 in Dennis. According to police reports, officers responding to a social worker's call found Kasonovic, an Ohio resident at 10 Bay Ridge Drive. Kasanovic told officers she had a firearm on the nightstand in her bedroom. The gun was a 9mm black Beretta, loaded with a large capacity magazine holding thirteen 77 Speer 9mm rounds. Kasanovic produced a Franklin County, Ohio concealed handgun license. When contacted by police, a Franklin County Sheriff's Department supervisor confirmed Kasanovic's gun license was valid, but not outside the State of Ohio, and for this reason he would be revoking her license. The arresting officer asked the Franklin County supervisor whether Kasanovic had any other firearms registered to her. The supervisor responded, "they (the public) are not required in Ohio to register firearms."

Even the arresting officer doesn't have it right. We don't 'register' guns in Massachusetts. We 'report' transfers. [rolleyes]

Officer's Discretion works best when there aren't a bunch of VESTED INTEREST Lookieloos around. The social worker (they don't believe that anyone should have guns. least of all any families they have contact with) could make trouble for the officer involved if he merely looked the other way in this case. Just saying . . .

Thanks, my point exactly. Not asking for an FID or LTC, while commendable, isn't exactly taking a stand. There is still more to this story that we don't know, so making it a simple issue is silly, at best.

Back
Top Bottom