• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oh that hurts...

Shelter prez shoots himself accidentally

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

By PAUL KOEPP

The president of an under-fire Jersey City animal shelter accidentally shot himself in the foot in his Union City apartment last Thursday, according to police reports.

Hector Carbajales, president of the Hudson County District Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, heard a noise from the roof of his New York Avenue building shortly after midnight and loaded a .357 Magnum "for his protection," police said.

As he pulled back the hammer, he dropped the handgun, causing it to fire a bullet into his right big toe, reports said. Carbajales was treated at the Jersey City Medical Center and released.

Union City Police Chief Charles Everett said seven legally registered guns were taken from the apartment and are being held at police headquarters "for safekeeping."

Carbajales has said that his family has been hectored by animal activists since reports surfaced of filthy conditions at the HCSPCA. He could not be reached yesterday for comment.

So, he "heard a noise on the roof", and while still inside pulled the hammer back on his revolver? What was he planning on doing? Shooting single-action through the ceiling.

Nope.

Not buying it.

Not even close.

Now, had the story said "Mr. Carbajales was reportedly playing Travis Bickle in front of his bathroom mirror when he shot himself in the foot.", I'd be OK with it.

Union City Police Chief Charles Everett said seven legally registered guns were taken from the apartment and are being held at police headquarters "for safekeeping."

WTF is up with this statement??? Chief suddenly decides he is going to confiscate lawfully owned property on a whim??? Will he now also confiscate all of a citizens' automobiles if they have traffic accidents for the same reason?? This guy is either covering up a much more serious violation by the Officer, or needs a major dope slap upside the head with the Constitution.

Something is going on here, I'd like to find out what kind of revolver it is. Most newer models have transfer bar safeties that prevent a discharge unless the trigger is pulled. A lot of the other ones have a half cock notch, or should be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber anyway.

Something is going on here, I'd like to find out what kind of revolver it is. Most newer models have transfer bar safeties that prevent a discharge unless the trigger is pulled. A lot of the other ones have a half cock notch, or should be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber anyway.

What???

That revolve has a half cock notch? Why would you carry the hammer down on a empty chamber short of carrying a old single action revolver.

Read the story. He cocked the hammer and went up to the roof. I have no doubt he dropped it and attempted to catch it causing the hammer to fall. Without a doubt he had no idea of the proper handling of a firearm judging by his actions that night.

Those builders are all two and three story apartments. Access to the roofs are not difficult and many have stairways up to that area.

As far as the handguns, they were removed for safekeeping and not confiscated. The wife probably wanted them gone after this incident.

What???

That revolve has a half cock notch? Why would you carry the hammer down on a empty chamber short of carrying a old single action revolver.

Read the story.

Not very familiar with revolvers?

All of my three click rugers have a half cock notch. Blackhawks, SuperBlackhawks, Single sixs etc. Thats the extra click. Same with Colts SAA line past to present. Most italian replica SAA revolvers remain true to the old concept and have the half cock notch. There are plenty of revolvers that have a half cock notch.

Why carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber? Any revolver with the firing pin on the hammer should be carried in this manner. And no this isn't limited to single action revolvers. Old smith & wesson revolvers have this, and these are double action guns that I am refering to. Model 19s, k-38s, model 17's, model 29's. The list goes on and on. These need to be carried hammer down on an empty chamber just like the old SAAs. Actually, any revolver without a transfer bar safety or similar mechanism should be carried in this manner as they too will fire if the gun is dropped on the hammer hard enough pushing the firing pin into the primer.

I read the story, you do the same. This is what it says:

"As he pulled back the hammer, he dropped the handgun, causing it to fire a bullet into his right big toe, reports said. Carbajales was treated at the Jersey City Medical Center and released."

This suggests that the hammer fell before it was fully cocked. (Which by the way I do not believe to be true). But if this were a revolver with a half cock notch the hammer would have fallen to half cock if the hammer had already passed the notch. A hammer falling from a shorter pull might not strike the primer at all because the cylinder hasn't rotated far enough yet. It depends on the revolver.

Last edited:
Read the story. He cocked the hammer and went up to the roof.

As far as the handguns, they were removed for safekeeping and not confiscated. The wife probably wanted them gone after this incident.

I'm not sure that you should be telling me to read the story, I don't see where it says anything about going up to the roof.

I also don't see anything about the wife wanting the firearms gone.

Actually, I don't see anything that says he even has a wife.

You have all the elements of a complete and total cluster f*ck in this story:

1. A retard
2. The state of New Jersey.

You could write an adventure in just a few sentences:

There was this retard. He shot his toe with his own gun. Happened in Jersey. THE END.

You have all the elements of a complete and total cluster f*ck in this story:

1. A retard
2. The state of New Jersey.

You could write an adventure in just a few sentences:

There was this retard. He shot his toe with his own gun. Happened in Jersey. THE END.

Close. [laugh] You forgot the part about the cops showing up an arresting him and charging with him for like 10 felonies- oh wait, an 11th because he had a knife in his pocket that violated some obscure NJ law about weapons. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom