• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Oh I wish I was back home.

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
To reduce deer numbers, some cities use recreational hunting, which requires safety classes and "buffer zones" to protect nearby residents. At Lake Elmo Park Reserve, for example, hunters will be restricted to the center of the park. Some cities use police officers or walk-in traps to kill deer. Such "professional removal" can cost as much as $500 a deer, Welsh said.

Ramsey County hired a Connecticut sharpshooter to shoot 200 deer at $200 apiece in the Pig's Eye Lake area of St. Paul and Maplewood.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/531/5698251.html

Derek, click your heels 3 times and repeat after me, There's no place like home, There's.... [roll]

Actually..........what the hell are you doing here, anyway?
Ain't Minnesota filled with unspoiled beauty, deer as far as the eye can see and huge expanses of wheat and stuff?

Cledus J. Crabb said:
Ain't Minnesota filled with unspoiled beauty, deer as far as the eye can see and huge expanses of wheat and stuff?

You forgot fish, lots of fish. I'm here because of the job market.

derek said:
Cledus J. Crabb said:

Lutefish??? Looks yucky!

JonJ said:
derek said:
Cledus J. Crabb said:

Lutefish??? Looks yucky!
It is, my grandfather loves it.

JonJ said:
dwarven1 said:
JonJ said:
Lutefish??? Looks yucky!

Ever tried gefilte fish? Yech.

Derek, isn't Lutefish made with Lye or something else caustic?

Never tried gefilte fish. I've helped serve it at the Synagogue and it's stinky.

Something like that. All I know is it's god aweful. Never figured out why pops loved it.

JonJ said:
Never tried gefilte fish. I've helped serve it at the Synagogue and it's stinky.

I tried it one year at Seder. All I'll say is that it's definitely an acquired taste... and I've never acquired it.

derek said:
JonJ said:
dwarven1 said:
JonJ said:
Lutefish??? Looks yucky!

Ever tried gefilte fish? Yech.

Derek, isn't Lutefish made with Lye or something else caustic?

Something like that. All I know is it's god aweful. Never figured out why pops loved it.

An excuse for some aquavit? :)

I don't mind the taste, with enough mustard sauce. I can't get past the texture: gelatinous codfish...blech!

dwarven1 said:
JonJ said:

I tried it one year at Seder. All I'll say is that it's definitely an acquired taste... and I've never acquired it.

OK, the trick is to rinse it off so all the gelatinous junk is off it, then eat it with a healthy dose of horseradish!

Years ago it was also made with a vegetable broth (NO gelatin!) and it tasted fine. Nowadays it seems that all of it comes with the jellyfish look. Thus, I just wash that junk off and eat it. It tastes a lot better that way.

LenS said:
dwarven1 said:
JonJ said:

OK, the trick is to rinse it off so all the gelatinous junk is off it, then eat it with a healthy dose of horseradish!

The only problem with that is that I usually invite my mother up for Seder... and she insists on bringing up a REAL horseradish and grating it for the bitter herb. Man, that stuff's 8 times worse than what you get in a bottle.

Ross

dwarven1 said:
LenS said:
dwarven1 said:
JonJ said:

The only problem with that is that I usually invite my mother up for Seder... and she insists on bringing up a REAL horseradish and grating it for the bitter herb. Man, that stuff's 8 times worse than what you get in a bottle.

Ross

And so, what's so bad about that?

I love spicy things. Maybe it was my late Grandmother grinding her own horseradish that set me on that path?

My father in law and I would do horseradish. It is way better fresh like that. We got banned to the garage though when we made it. [lol]

LenS said:
And so, what's so bad about that?

I love spicy things. Maybe it was my late Grandmother grinding her own horseradish that set me on that path?

Well, in that case, Len, you and your wife are invited for Seder next year. (or later this year, if you're going by the Jewish calendar.) For you, I'll make sure I have gefilte fish and fresh ground horseradish. :D

Thanks! We may take you up on the offer! :)

Only once, many years ago I made horseradish for Passover. Nobody else in my Family (now that my Dad and Grandfather are gone) appreciate the real thing ("Hot").

But at any rate, this is what gives gefilte fish it's "flavor" at least the stuff we buy in bottles/cans. I seem to remember (very long time ago, as my Grandparents passed away in 1965) that when my Grandmother made it it had a lot more flavor to it (fresh fish and I don't know what she might have added to it).

Truthfully, I only eat gefilte fish on Passover and don't miss it the rest of the year. But I make a mean fried matzo (assuming you like it spiced and don't put honey/maple syrup over it) and my Grandmother's recipe for sponge cake (with wine and orange rind) is also excellent (but being 50# heavier than I was when I got married, I don't make it anymore).

Back
Top Bottom