• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Ogive?

Consensus seems to be "oh jive". There's a thread on THR that has some humor but no definitive answers and Google is not your friend on this one.

How 'bout meplat?

Oh give me a home where the buffalo roam......

Obscure words and phrases you can pronounce any way you want and you usually get a free pass from anyone that does it differently

I've been going up to northern NH on fishing vacations for years, staying in the town of Dummer. It's up by Berlin and Milan. As a ma**h*** I pronounce them like " Bur-lynne" and "Mih-lahn". Up there it's "Brrrr-lin" and "My-lan", and I got corrected EVERY I pronounced it the other way! Now I say it their way. When in Rome, they say...

So other than considering the source (me :confused:), it's really not that dumb of a question.

Ogive -

Pronounced like MaCGyver or jive turkey?
Consensus seems to be "oh jive". There's a thread on THR that has some humor but no definitive answers and Google is not your friend on this one.

How 'bout meplat?
Meplat on those ranch dogs is pronounced Sssmmmaahhhaakk.
Meplat is french so ask a frenchmem.

well why in hell didn't they just spell it ojive in the first place, damn it. [angry] i love learning new things nobody cares about, makes me feel smarter. [laugh]

Meplat on those ranch dogs is pronounced Sssmmmaahhhaakk.
Meplat is french so ask a frenchmem.

Sssmmmaahhhaakk. [rofl]

I think I just found a winter project- Ranch dog + Trail Boss loads for one of the milsurps. I also plan to work on a 200 yard zero for the 458 socom- won't have any trouble seeing the holes in that target.

I work with some nice French ladies and will ask them about meplat.

well why in hell didn't they just spell it ojive in the first place, damn it. [angry] i love learning new things nobody cares about, makes me feel smarter. [laugh]

Its cared about in ballistics.

If you are seating bullets where the point of contact is on the ojive and you have a mixed lot of bullets with different ojives, they will seat at different depths.
It also makes a difference in the flight of a projectile which is pretty critical, especially in large artillery ammo.

But you know that already.

And the guy in the second video is pronouncing it incorrectly, its O jive.

Funny term. We had a guy in our artillery unit that we nicknamed OJive......when we first dubbed him with the name we were up all night laughing about it on radio watch. It stuck for the two years I was there.:D

Last edited:
We had a guy in our artillery unit that we nicknamed OJive......when we first dubbed him with the name we were up all night laughing about it on radio watch.

You named him OJive, and then hilarity ensued.
Roger that.

53-27300-airplane-jive-1435786075.png