Official NES Jeepers thread

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
My father-in-law has a '14 Wrangler four-door. The stock stereo has CD and SiriusXM, but doesn't support Bluetooth streaming. Is it easy to swap out the head unit with a unit from a higher trim level, a later year, or both?

All I really care about is Bluetooth. The car has steering wheel controls, so I don't want to bother with installing an aftermarket head unit as I don't want the hassle.

It isn't hard, I just installed a new Kenwood deck & backup camera in about an afternoon of work. Wireless CarPlay is a HUUUUGE upgrade from the JKU Uconnect "system" and it is nice to see behind the Jeep when backing up.

marleythefish

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ugggg, blew the head gasket in the xj and i suspect the head is cracked. in 2000 they changed the cast iron heads to aluminum which have a reputation for cracking. i've seen this coming for about a year, had to add coolant often but had no leaks. I've ordered a edelbrock ported and polished head and im spraying the manifold bolts.the manifold bolts are the part i dread the most, huge pia. Got a felpro upper engine gasket set and here we go.

Last edited:

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
ugggg, blew the head gasket in the xj and i suspect the head is cracked. in 2000 they changed the cast iron heads to aluminum which have a reputation for cracking. i've seen this coming for about a year, had to add coolant often but had no leaks. I've ordered a edelbrock ported and polished head and im spraying the manifold bolts.the manifold bolts are the part i dread the most, huge pia. Got a felpro upper engine gasket set and here we go.
you can cut the heads off the bolts and slide the exhaust manifolds off then have a good chunk of stud to play with. With the heads off the car the Exhaust manifolds are easier to deal with

steel heads cracked also.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Does anyone have a TJ with a soft top in need of some extra windows & supports, maybe some rubber floor mats?

marleythefish

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
cancelled the edelbrock head, wasnt going to ship for a long time because covid,,,,, ordered an atk head, figured while im in there may as well get a new hi flow water pump. manifold bolts came out surprisingly easy, fluid film is an awesome penetrating oil if you have the time. Thinking about a banks s/s header, on the fence, while my headers arent cracked they do have that reputation.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
cancelled the edelbrock head, wasnt going to ship for a long time because covid,,,,, ordered an atk head, figured while im in there may as well get a new hi flow water pump. manifold bolts came out surprisingly easy, fluid film is an awesome penetrating oil if you have the time. Thinking about a banks s/s header, on the fence, while my headers arent cracked they do have that reputation.
There usually loose anyway!
That penetrating oil is just motivational support. Your tricking yourself into applying a bit more mmpphh.

marleythefish

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Perhaps,,,, my observation was that there was no excess oil on the bolts, they were tight and required oooomf to remove and once removed they were wet to the end with oil.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
+1, Put it in NES Yardsale for $25.00 and someone will contact you to ask you what is wrong with it. [laugh]

That's what I'm afraid of. Figured I'd do somebody a favor. If not I will just throw it away.

Reminds me of when I tried to give away a $300 graphics card at work for $25 and this guy tried to negotiate with me.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Good article in the WSJ last weekend. The reason I love the Journal is they truly understand commentary and op-ed versus reporting.

Anyhow, in the Weekend Living section (read - extended op-ed section for the most part), some guy goes off for about 3 columns how Jeep needs to ditch Cherokee because. . . . . . . get this one. . . . . . . . . they didn't pay the Cherokee people for the rights to use it. Somehow it's derogatory you don't pay for it. I wonder if they came out with the Jeep CJ - Brazil or something if they'd be required to pay.

Now, why do I like the WSJ if that stupid article is in it? Because they aren't afraid to put in stupid dissenting articles by prominent people. Oh I'm sure there were thousands of LttE's last week because of it. The man had little brains who wrote it. But I appreciate them never shying away from free speech.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I finally got around to putting on the Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers. After being lost by UPS, (and refunded by Amazon) they finally showed up. I think it’s good timing since I just got a sticker last week. They stand out proud of the fenders a good bit. I like the subtle more aggressive stance. The new tires (BF Goodrich All Terrain KO II’s 33’s (actually 285/70/17’s) had a slight rub previously, when turned all the way. That’s gone now.
F648E71C-2180-421A-BB9B-DD130A8DEBC4.jpeg
FFC7BBE1-F7CA-4367-B050-8A6D2D71A9DB.jpeg
1BECB4E4-3FD1-44BC-BA2D-BFDFCBF14AA1.jpeg
A37795C1-F0E3-4301-9B02-D00BF8800482.jpeg
FC29C09E-A2D7-4BF9-881D-B8232CF147C4.jpeg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to putting on the Spidertrax 1.5 inch wheel spacers. After being lost by UPS, (and refunded by Amazon) they finally showed up. I think it’s good timing since I just got a sticker last week. They stand out proud of the fenders a good bit. I like the subtle more aggressive stance. The new tires (BF Goodrich All Terrain KO II’s 33’s (actually 285/70/17’s) had a slight rub previously, when turned all the way. That’s gone now.
View attachment 369761
View attachment 369765
View attachment 369762
View attachment 369764
View attachment 369763
Nice!
I put a set of spidertrax spacers on a while ago.
I hope you put anti seize lube on them. I had to have a garage remove them so I could do my rotors. Got a new set and used anti seize this time.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Nice!
I hope you put anti seize lube on them. I had to have a garage remove them so I could do my rotors. Got a new set and used anti seize this time.
No. I hadn’t seen that mentioned anywhere. I only put the red Loctite on. Seems like a good idea to put a thin film of anti-seize on the back of the spacers though. I think I’m going to run with it though because I don’t feel like taking them back off now. Maybe at some point. LOL

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I hadn’t seen that mentioned anywhere. I only put the red Loctite on. Seems like a good idea to put a thin film of anti-seize on the back of the spacers though. I think I’m going to run with it though because I don’t feel like taking them back off now. Maybe at some point. LOL
Yeah. That’s what I did. wasnt too hard for my local garage with the right tools to remove them.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Nice!
You should try and use corrosion inhibotor between the plate and rotor face. Or anything to lessen the conductivity between the rotor and the plate.
Coated fasteners help also.
Loctite red seems a bit more than needed blue would work fine also.

Canndo

NES Member
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Maybe for the next sticker?
[rofl][rofl]
Nah. I’ll probably just swap out the wheels & tires with a cheap smaller set that will pass for the day. I’ve got a year to plan for it. [laugh] Who knows, I could be running something totally different by then.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. I’ll probably just swap out the wheels & tires with a cheap smaller set that will pass for the day. I’ve got a year to plan for it. [laugh] Who knows, I could be running something totally different by then.
I’ve had 1.5” spacers, 3.5” total of lift (2.5 lift and rubi springs that give an extra 1”) and 285/17 mud terrains for years and never had a problem with inspections.

mac1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I’ve had 1.5” spacers, 3.5” total of lift (2.5 lift and rubi springs that give an extra 1”) and 285/17 mud terrains for years and never had a problem with inspections.
lets hope they dont catch on about wheel spacers.
That pesky 540cmr stuff and all.

wheel base x wheel track divided by 2200 and you get max hieght then the state "gives" 1" for manufacturing tolorences.
I know several jeep owners who where rejected this past year for lifts

Top Bottom