[Official] DIY Target Stand Thread

I did a brief search and didn't see a whole lot on target stands so I figured I'd start a thread where everyone can post their ideas and show off their own backyard target stands. I put this in GD to get things going but mods feel free to move this to the appropriate section.

I became a member of TRPC this past weekend and started doing some searching on the internet for target stands. After seeing some of the prices on these things I thought I'd save some money and make my own. It didn't seem right dropping money on something that I'm going to fire bullets at, especially something my girlfriend will be using as well [shocked] (or at least that's what I'll tell you guys when I destroy em' [smile]).

Before I start piecing it together I figured I'd post this up for everyone to tell me what I'm doing wrong and hopefully save me some of the trial and error. I am an electrician by trade so most of this stuff I have laying around at the shop.

ivwQ3.png

oh and excuse the cheap "paint" sketch [laugh2]

Two things to note: I plan on driving the rebar into the ground say a foot or so and sleeving the EMT over it on those side posts. Also, after looking at the picture for a while I thought that the targets might spin left and right too much so I'm thinking two pieces of jack chain per target would stabilize them better.

My main concern right now is ricochet. I'm assuming the setup above would be ok because the bottoms of the targets are able to move freely and thus "give in" and let the bullet pass but want to be certain. These will be shot with mostly .22LR and 9mm.

Post up some of your creations or tell me why mine sucks, I'm hoping to get this baby built by the weekend!

I basically did the following with the one exception, I used a 7 foot long home made saw horse so I could hang 5 side by side.

It's basically a plate rack that requires no resetting and does not have the $900+ price tag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Figure I will add to this thread instead of making a new one since I just completed my own DIY target stand. My goal was to make something that was sturdy, cheap, and that I could collapse and fit in the trunk of my Honda Civic for easy transport. I had some free time at work so I sketched out a couple designs on my sign program and came up with this one that I liked the best:

stand06.jpg

(I have it in PDF file format in case anybody wants a copy of it).

Total cost of materials was around $15. I bought (3) 6' 1x3 boards, (1) 24x24x1/2" pre-cut plywood, and (4) 2.5"x3/8" carriage bolts with wing nuts. I had 1.5" and 1" drywall screws at home already for the rest. I finished building it around noon and it is very sturdy. The only change from the plans is that I made the "feet" part 36" long instead of only 30" - saved time on having to make another cut and the difference between the two lengths is pretty negligible. I have a bunch of extra bulk cardboard from my work that I am going to cut into 18"x18" sections and staple to the top portion and then staple my targets to that at the range.

The two feet part come off by unscrewing the (2) wing nuts on each side. Can't wait to get it out there and see how it holds up.

stand02.jpg

stand01.jpg

stand03.jpg

In collapsed form - fits easily in the trunk of my car, with room to spare for my gun cases and ammo bag:

stand04.jpg

stand05.jpg

Back
Top Bottom