Officer shoots, kills hostage taker

PRETTY CLEAR,,,,"WHAT A GUY,ACTUALLY DOING HIS JOB" WHAT IS SO VAGUE....saying that he actually did his job,compliment,, or what a guy, used as a compliment when someone does something swell for someone...what a guy...

Since most sarcastic posts on here get misread as serious, it's about time a serious post got misread as sarcastic. [wink]

PRETTY CLEAR,,,,"WHAT A GUY,ACTUALLY DOING HIS JOB" WHAT IS SO VAGUE....saying that he actually did his job,compliment,, or what a guy, used as a compliment when someone does something swell for someone...what a guy...

Einstein, lighten up. Both Timber and I thought you meant something else. Either it wasn't clear or you're over sensitive.

Not to go off topic here but why have I been seeing all these references to people that own and use firearms as being "hobbyist's" lately?

Political correctness. PC allows people to frame and phrase things in a specific way in order to tilt the debate in their favor. Control the language and you control the debate. Referring to us as "hobbyist's" would imply that we own guns for fun which in turn makes them not "necessary" and so can be banned.

F*** A, dude... stop it. i'm dying here. i haven't laughed this hard at work in ages. seriously... i have to get back to work. i'm almost done with our tactical tampon. i'll send you out the first sample for your bleeding internet rep vananay.[laugh]

And now I must turn the other cheek because I have just been owned...........Damn it sucks when you can not think of something sly to come back with....

Last edited by a moderator:
David+Cameron+-+hand+over+face.jpg

Tough crowd indeed.

Political correctness. PC allows people to frame and phrase things in a specific way in order to tilt the debate in their favor. Control the language and you control the debate. Referring to us as "hobbyist's" would imply that we own guns for fun which in turn makes them not "necessary" and so can be banned.

Ah, thank you cb1. I was really curious about that. I've rarely seen it used as just a hobby kind of thing and then in the last few days I've been seeing it a lot. I suppose my model trains and Betty Boops better stay on the ready for a boating accident, just in case.[thinking]

While I buy the premise of the importance of language in framing the debate, I am not sure I agree with the effect of the term "hobbyist". If one is a hobbyist then one is generally seen as non threatening, at least in my mind. I also wonder if this is just group think of the people commenting on that one article who have fixated on one person's use of the term or this is part of a larger effort. I know I will look out for the term more often now though.

While I buy the premise of the importance of language in framing the debate, I am not sure I agree with the effect of the term "hobbyist". If one is a hobbyist then one is generally seen as non threatening, at least in my mind. I also wonder if this is just group think of the people commenting on that one article who have fixated on one person's use of the term or this is part of a larger effort. I know I will look out for the term more often now though.

I don't know bud, maybe it's a Union Leader thing. It's been in both of the comments sections of the most recent articles that we've been discussing here on NES.

Sure, hobbyist sounds less threatening and has its merits. A friend of mine calls himself a hobbyist in the hopes that he can get more new people onto the range and comfortable with guns. However, every time he uses the word to describe himself (as true as it may be) I can't help but hear in my head an anti screaming "hunters don't need assault rifles!!" and "hobbyists don't need more than 10 rounds!!" and so on. I would prefer to not give the antis the opportunity to say I don't need my firearms. I'm very skeptical of people's intentions and as such I'm always looking for two things: skewed data and word choice. Unfortunately both are ever present in the gun control debate.

That was a roller-coaster of a thread!

On the subject of the shooting, +1 for the good guys. It certainly sounds like the officer spent more time at the range than was necessary, kudos to him.

Back
Top Bottom