Officer involved shooting in Saugus saturday

She was commonly known to walk up and down Walnut Street, talking to herself. I’ve seen her hundreds of times. I’d occasionally wave, if I was stuck at the light. She’d smile and wave back. Looks like she had a lot of mental instability. Nonetheless, if the family called because they were concerned about her safety, and was suicidal, the cops should have been prepared not to kill her.
I’ll find out more from my LE friends......

Last edited:
If the family was that concerned they should have made that call a long time ago…..

Always, more info. needed! Did she lunge with the knife at the sight of the uniform? Countless other Monday morning QB scenario's to think of too! Would an unarmed, no vest, social worker stranger being first inside been the solution to the problem? What did the call to dispatch consist of?

If the family was that concerned they should have made that call a long time ago…..

P.S. Was she hot? Asking for a friend.
She had a long history of mental illness. Well known. GMAFB.

Stephanie Gerardi’s illness “was progressing and she was in need of help Saturday night,” reads the fundraising page.​
“Her loving sister reached out to the Saugus police department to help Stephanie gain the help she was in need of,” the page states. “This is not the first time the police were called on to help Stephanie. They were familiar with her illness and instead of helping Stephanie or ensuring she was placed in a facility that could help her, a police officer shot her three times to death in her home in front of her traumatized family.”​

Stephanie Gerardi’s illness “was progressing and she was in need of help Saturday night,” reads the fundraising page.​
“Her loving sister reached out to the Saugus police department to help Stephanie gain the help she was in need of,” the page states. “This is not the first time the police were called on to help Stephanie. They were familiar with her illness and instead of helping Stephanie or ensuring she was placed in a facility that could help her, a police officer shot her three times to death in her home in front of her traumatized family.”​

If the family was counting on the police then that was there first mistake. Perhaps finding a good institutional facility ? Guess it was just easier for them. Guess blaming others curbs the guilt.

And no it was an outrageous response from Police and there should be consequences for those actions if that proves out. Not enough info other than the poor kid was a little off center.

Last edited:
Ok so GMAFB answer the question? Why did they not get this poor unfortunate the needed help? It was apparent she had a history of mental illness.
How do you know they didn’t? Seems they were struggling for years. It’s a tough situation. As long as she was hot though... amiright? :rolleyes:

As written by a family member. Now we need to hear more details about what really happened from both sides.

This cop could just as easily been casually knocking on the front door of the house responding to the 911 call and was met with her charging at him with a knife out of rage that her family called the police. It’s a sad story but I’m not hanging any cops out to dry based on a go fund me page and a news media that hasn’t spoken a word of truth in ages.

A lot of people with mental illness still have free will. They choose to be off of medication. You see it everywhere. Unfortunately there are no easy solutions. No cop this side of the moon wants to shoot someone, let alone someone going through a crisis. Help can be obtained when someone isn't creating a security hazard for the fire/ems personnel. If she's well known, chances are you'd see time after time section after commitment. It's a tragedy all around. Psych doc and social workers are great buuuut knives>no weapons.

If I could tell anyone anything it's school yourself on dealing with people in crisis. Mental health first aid is a solid program.

I do not like supposing what went on, I was not there so everything I say is pure speculation.

If she was a KNOWN "problem" for lack of a better word, the response should have been tailored for it.

We all know Tueller, we all have trained for it, but it would seem to me there had to be a better way to have handled it.

And you are free to respond with a dozen times an officer ignored Tueller and it went south quickly,

“The officers involved were uninjured but transported to an area hospital as a precaution.”

Police taking a page out of the civilian playbook to request medical assistance so they can call the union rep and get the story straight?

“The officers involved were uninjured but transported to an area hospital as a precaution.”

Police taking a page out of the civilian playbook to request medical assistance so they can call the union rep and get the story straight?
That’s kind of a cheap shot. Especially since we don’t even know how this went down yet.

This officer or officers that were there, who were just involved in a deadly shooting, were taken to the hospital for observation by medical personnel after what was most likely the most traumatic incident of their lives. I don’t think it’s asking too much to take them off the clock and offer whatever assistance can be provided to them.

That’s kind of a cheap shot. Especially since we don’t even know how this went down yet.

This officer or officers that were there, who were just involved in a deadly shooting, were taken to the hospital for observation by medical personnel after what was most likely the most traumatic incident of their lives. I don’t think it’s asking too much to take them off the clock and offer whatever assistance can be provided to them.
You think that was the “cheap shot”? You must not have read the story.

It's the other way around. Civilians are being counseled to do what cops have been doing for decades - ask to go to the hospital.

And no it was an outrageous response from Police
shooting down crazies is the best outcome now as there is no place for them to go or be sent to anyway.

and those who call police or government on their own family members do deserve all they get.

shooting down crazies is the best outcome now as there is no place for them to go or be sent to anyway.

and those who call police or government on their own family members do deserve all they get.
Tell that to the cop who will replay this in his head over and over for the rest of his life.
Or the dead woman's kids.

Well it is so nice to see all the sheltered, armchair, police and deadly force experts here giving their expert testimony in the way this case should have been handled. But in all reality they are no better than those that seek to defund the police.
Are there bad cops, dirty cops? Yes. The sad thing is that is all we hear about as they are the ones that make news. So those folks here that jump on that band wagon are no better than the ANTIFA and BLM maggots.

If this situation took place in Dorchester they would have immediately descalate the situation and it would have been a stand off with community leaders and clergy involved. In Saugus , Mozambique nothing to see here. Where's this white mom's protest and vigils.

You think that was the “cheap shot”? You must not have read the story.
You must have believed the story as told. Even if the reporter got the facts right, which never happens on the first day after an event, journalistic integrity is dead. Even if the journalist tried to be accurate, their personal bias will still influence their writing.

You must have believed the story as told. Even if the reporter got the facts right, which never happens on the first day after an event, journalistic integrity is dead. Even if the journalist tried to be accurate, their personal bias will still influence their writing.
Ah Yes "Personal Bias" just like so many of the folks here as to how they PRE-judge and interpret these events and on the same bent.

Here's a slightly better description of what happened from Boston.com:

That’s what Stacey wanted to do when she called the police on Saturday afternoon. She didn’t call 911, she said, because it wasn’t an emergency, just the police line, and left the house with Gerardi’s two children. Deanna, her boyfriend, and their 13-year-old son were home with Gerardi, and there when the police arrived.

A trio of Saugus police officers responded to 3 Alfred Rd. around 4:32 p.m. for “a female family member in distress.” When they arrived, officers “were confronted” by Gerardi, who had a knife, according to the Essex District Attorney.

Deanna described a situation that quickly deteriorated. She told the Globe the opened the doors for officers and gestured them in towards Gerardi’s room.

“My back was turned for a moment,” Deanna said. “Stephanie had come walking down the hallway and approached the cops. She said, ‘How are you doing?’ and they said, ‘I’m OK. How are you doing, Stephanie?’ She said, ‘I’m great. You’re very nice-looking. Can I give you a hug?’ ”

Deanna said the officers told Gerardi to keep her distance and not touch them, which she believes escalated the situation. After that, Stephanie ran into the kitchen and grabbed a knife.

“Then I heard three shots go off,” she said.

Deanna told the Globe she was also in the kitchen and ducked down instinctively; she was so close she heard the shell casings fall to the ground.

“After they shot my sister, she face-planted onto the ground,” Deanne said. “I freaked out and I ran to my room.”

Deanna said police drew weapons on her boyfriend and ordered him to the ground when he became upset about what had happened. Officers told them they had to leave, Deanna said.

“We had to step over my sister’s dead body to get out of our home,” she said. “I keep seeing it replay in my head. Me seeing her face down on the ground in a puddle of blood.”

The Essex County DA’s office reported that an officer fired his service weapon three times and struck Gerardi, who was pronounced dead at the scene. The officer who fired the fatal shots has been placed on administrative leave, which is the department’s policy. The DA’s office promised to release its report on the incident to the public once it is finished.

If this situation took place in Dorchester they would have immediately descalate the situation and it would have been a stand off with community leaders and clergy involved. In Saugus , Mozambique nothing to see here. Where's this white mom's protest and vigils.
White's are ok with it apparently

the problem is .gov have inserted them so far up everyone's ass, there is no real way to do anything without getting them involved, even if you don't want to. Try open a lemonade stand sometimes. Especially with kids, there are dozen of .gov agencies who will butt in for no reason what so ever any time you want to deal with shit yourself.

Back
Top Bottom