• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Officer down, Lt Robert Cabral, Swansea Ma

Lt Robert "Officer Bob" Cabral, 1953 - 2005

index.1.jpg

http://www.swanseapolice.com/
On November 5, 2005 at 12:42 a.m. (0042 hrs) Swansea Police Officers were dispatched to a reported motor vehicle accident, involving a Swansea Police Cruiser. Officers discovered a head on crash in the westbound lane of Rt. 6, (GAR highway) near Country Gardens Nursing Home. Both operators were trapped in their vehicles. The Swansea Ambulance and Swansea Fire Department were called to the scene for extrication. Both persons were transported to Charlton Memorial Hospital.

Sgt. Robert Cabral was pronounced dead at the hospital. Sgt, Cabral was a 26 year veteran of the Swansea Police Department, and was in charge of the midnight to eight shift.

The operator of the other vehicle was Wayne Smith, 49 years old, of 91 Peach Street in Swansea. He is being held at the hospital due to his injuries. His injuries do not appear to be life threatening.

Wayne Smith was arrested. He is currently charged with Operating Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor so as to Endanger, resulting in Homicide by Motor Vehicle; Operating Negligently so as to Endanger; and failure to stay in marked lanes. The Clerk of Courts has ordered Mr. Smith held in custody without bail.

The arrest and accident remain under investigation by the Swansea Police Department, the Massachusetts State Police Accident Reconstruction Team, and the Massachusetts State Police Detectives Unit.

Sgt. Robert Cabral has been posthumously promoted to the rank of Lieutenant effective this date.

Those wishing to make donations can do so by sending checks to:

The Lt. Robert Cabral Memorial Fund

In care of St. Dominic’s Federal Credit Union

1723 GAR Highway

Swansea, MA 02777

http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=17950

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20051106_swcop6.cf01031.html
http://www.turnto10.com/news/5257659/detail.html
http://www.wpri.com/Global/story.asp?S=4079234

Cabral had run the Drug Abuse Resistance Education program for Swansea schoolchildren for most of his 26 years at the Swansea Police Department. The students knew him as "Officer Bob," and he made a point of knowing them all by name, too. He'd won commendations from the town and school system for his devotion to the program -- so much that when budget cuts eliminated his stipend for DARE, Cabral ran the program for free, said Arruda.
THE ACCIDENT has reverberated in this town, where both men have served in their departments for about 25 years.

"This is a somber time in Swansea. No matter where you go, at the dry cleaners, at the little breakfast nooks, it's the only thing people are talking about," Cardenas said.
Officials are planning to send crisis teams to the schools and prepare teachers to talk with students about Cabral's death. "The students are going to experience a major loss," Flanagan said. "They're going to lose a friend."
He called Cabral "a treasure" with children, and said the sergeant had a knack for talking to them about avoiding drugs and alcohol. "He's probably saved the lives of countless youngsters who may have possibly gotten into drugs and other things," Senna said.
"He was probably one of the most involved fathers I know," she said.
Mike and Sarah Camara, of Swansea, called Cabral "the All-American guy." Camara remembered Cabral as his substitute teacher nearly 20 years ago. The sergeant was a good person and a friend, he said.
This hits so close to home. Too close. "Officer Bob" really is everything they say, and so much more. If there was one member of our community we shouldnt have lost, the Lt is him.
I had to go to Swansea PD today regarding these events. I was a bit delayed, as the things I saw there were heartbreaking. His personal vehicle is still infront of the station, with a growing makeshift memorial of flowers and the like accumulating on it....
Rest easy Officer Bob... :(

RIP, Lt. Cabral.

Republic of Mass said:
Wayne Smith was arrested. He is currently charged with Operating Under the Influence of Intoxicating Liquor so as to Endanger, resulting in Homicide by Motor Vehicle; Operating Negligently so as to Endanger; and failure to stay in marked lanes.

I truly HATE drunk drivers. A friend from high school was killed by one of this brain-dead idiots. Please, folks... when you have those beers you love so much, bring a non-drinking friend along and GIVE HIM YOUR KEYS!!!!!

Jon,

Not sure, but more info might be on Swansea PD website.
http://www.swanseapolice.com/

This AM news indicated that the perp is a firefighter!!

If so, that is just plain despicable . . . POs and FFs spend a lot of time extricating and trying to save people who are victims of OUI. For either to be stupid and reckless enough to drive drunk is an unspeakable sin!

My heart goes out to his Family, his fellow Officers and the good citizens of Swansea!

There is a memorial book online at the Swansea PD website I posted. Read it at your own peril, I doubt you'll have a dry eye if you do. It's just plain heart-wrenching. It very much appears that Lt. Cabral was one of the best of the best!
[cry]

There is a hard-copy memorial book at swansea pd, the public is welcome and encouraged to contriubte to it.

Yes, the other operator was a volie firefighter in swansea. I knew both. I didnt really know the operator, per say, but did know of him, and recognized him.

They actualy knew eachother, then again, everyone in Swansea knows Officer Bob....

Yes LenS, he was the best Swansea had to offer, and will be hardpressed to find anyone that can come even remotely close to picking up his work where it was left off.

Im not saying anyone, officer or otherwise, should be taken from us like this. But there are a few officers around that dont deserve the badge they wear who would never have come close to leaving so much behind to the community. There are 31 Patrolmen in Swansea, but he was probably the only one doing any proactive community work.. He made a huge impact in this town in the last 25 years, and it will be a long time until the department, and the town, are back "to normal". The effects this travisty has had on the community is overwhelming and widespread. You can sense it among the shops and the stores. Even the mall seemed a little more sollem today....

Even today while I was there, I was at a loss of words to the Patroman and Sergent I was meeting with; I simply did not know what to say, or how to. Beyond the morning bands and the half-staff flags is an earey calm in that station, yes the loss is so clear looking into the officer's eyes...

Absolutely devasting!

I've worked with probably 60 officers in 2 departments and I can't think of one of them that had the community impact that I'm reading about regading Lt. Cabral.

He left quite a legacy! Too bad he had to give all in such a senseless way. [cry]

[SPD] Lt. Robert Cabral Funeral Arrangements

Funeral Arrangements are as follows:

Wake 4-8 Wednesday November 9, 2005 at the
Birchcrest Waring Sullivan Funeral Home
189 Gardners Neck Road, Swansea, MA

Funeral 9 AM Thursday November 10, 2005

Mass at St. Dominic's Church 1277 GAR Highway, Swansea MA

Interment at Mt. Hope Cemetery, Swansea

Uniform officer walk-by Wednesday November 9, 2005. Assembly at Venus De Milo, 75 GAR Highway, Swansea MA at 5 PM in the west side parking lot. The walk-by will be at 6 PM sharp.

Staging area/arrangements for funeral are as follows:

All Marchers and Color Guards for the funeral service on Thursday November 10 will meet at the rear of the Swansea Mall 500 Swansea Mall Drive Swansea, MA @ 0700 hrs. in the west side parking lot. They will then be bused to the church. After the church services they will be bused to the Venus De Milo where they will join the procession to Mt Hope Cemetery. After the interment they will be brought back to the Swansea Mall where they can proceed on their own to the Venus De Milo for the collation.

Motorcycles will stage at the funeral home, 189 Gardners Neck Road @ 0700 hrs.

Cruisers will stage in the Venus De Milo parking lot 75 GAR Highway @ 0700 hrs.

Use Map Quest for directions to

Birchcrest Waring Sullivan Funeral Home
189 Gardners Neck Road Swansea, MA

St. Dominic's Church
1277 GAR Highway, Swansea MA

Venus De Milo
75 GAR Highway, Swansea MA

Please fax attendance response to the Swansea Police (508-674-8463) Attn: Sgt. Stephen Stone indicating the Department, the number of officers attending, the number of cruisers and motorcycles, color guard participation and any high ranking officials or dignitaries. Please also include a contact name and telephone number in the event there are any changes. Any question please contact Sgt. Stephen Stone at 508-674-8464 from 8 AM-4PM.

Those wishing to make donations can do so by sending checks to:

The Lt. Robert Cabral Memorial Fund
In care of St. Dominic's Federal Credit Union
1723 GAR Highway
Swansea, MA 02777

http://www.swanseapolice.com/policearrangements.htm

Back
Top Bottom