• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

office chair

cfbackrow

NES Member
I'm spending a lot more time in my office chair due to this forced time at home....
I have an office chair that I love...its not an antique or anything but its solid and comfy...the leather seat is cracked/ripped...but the wood frame is in great shape...I'm looking for someone or a recommendation of someone to replace the leather...I reached out to a restoration company and they quoted me more than the price of a new chair. I'm on the south shore but will travel .
thanks

worth a call, have not used him in years though
Bob's Auto Top Inc
362 Washington St Quincy MA 02169 (617) 773-2566

arts auto/marine in brockton. used them for boat stuff, and have seen some of their auto upholstery work. as others have said though, maybe cheaper to buy new

I used American Auto Seat Cover in Lowell for the bosses chair years ago. Did a great job but I don’t know if he’s still in business.
I will warn you to give Calico Corners a wide berth. Holy crap was the recovering of 2 living room chairs obscene.
I should have bought a Stressless office chair years ago but I never figured I’d spend this much time on my ass.

New chairs are mass produced, a good restoration will be more because of the labor. If you can find the same or better chair for less, buy it.
I have done a bit of upholstery in a past life. In that past life, we often worked with New Life Upholstery in Foxboro.

That said, I completely agree with @RHJJ. Unless the chair is of great emotional or actual value, either live with it as is or replace it. Of course if you're a little handy, then there is a third option - are you looking for a spring/coronavirus project?

thanks all..I'm looking into your suggestions...yes I know that the chair is only worth like $6-700 new...and might not be cost effective to redo it..but...its comfortable to me and as your prob aware finding a chair that actually works for you isn't easy

thanks all..I'm looking into your suggestions...yes I know that the chair is only worth like $6-700 new...and might not be cost effective to redo it..but...its comfortable to me and as your prob aware finding a chair that actually works for you isn't easy
Another path you might consider is a reupholster with a material other than leather. This should decrease material and labor expenses. This will salvage the chair without having to drop a grand on its resurrection.

Another path you might consider is a reupholster with a material other than leather. This should decrease material and labor expenses. This will salvage the chair without having to drop a grand on its resurrection.
now that's a great suggestion..if any of the upholster people actually reply during this "crisis" I'll suggest that...thanks

Is it hard to disassemble? Could you do it yourself? If the shapes are simple then getting fabric and a staple gun may be worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom