• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Off-grid living anyone ?

Hi folks, I am new to this forum but a long time off-grid homesteader and survivalist.

I live in a solar cabin I designed and built myself for under $2000. I hunt, fish, raise animals and garden for most of my food.

You can see my cabin in this video and other survival skills videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/solarcabin

If anyone is off-grid or thinking about it I would love to share ideas!

LaMar

Good for you. You really have done a great job of living off the land. I also really liked the fact you were able to get around the "house" tax stuff by building what would be considered a "shed". Do you expect any trouble from the board of health or any other local code violations since you are living there?

One question I have however are you really off the grid when you use the Internet???

Your videos are excellent and very informative.

Good luck and again great work!!!!!!!!!![cheers]

Thanks for the videos. You can contribute a lot to folks here from what you've learned.

As for living off the grid in the sense of being 'unknown to the government', I'm afraid that notion largely disappears when the health care bill gets signed.

From that point on, the government will have a club over every citizen. They will have to sign up for some form of health care or be punished. It will give the government an excuse to root out, track down, and oppress all sorts of folks.

You've got a good thing going there, my pioneer friend. Whenever my little 900 sq. ft. of living space starts to feel confining, I'll just look at these videos.

The interior shots were particularly inspiring. I love it!

A lot of people talk about "independent living", but few of us will ever go there. Where the heck would the big teevee and 32-gun cabinet go?

Thanks for the inspiration.

What state do you live in? By the looks of the dryness and the mountains in the background I am guessing somewhere in the intermountain West?

Thanks for the videos. That's close to what I'm hoping to build someday... mine may be a little longer (22 feet?) Plus, I don't have the skills to do all that work myself, so I'm going to have to pay much more than $2000. But, even if I pay someone $15,000 to build the shell, that's a bargain compared to regular home prices.

Back
Top Bottom