Off-duty Los Angeles sheriff's deputy shot in head, critically wounded at a Jack in the Box

commodon

NES Member
Wow...

Off-duty Los Angeles sheriff's deputy shot in head, critically wounded at a Jack in the Box

The deputy, a 13-year veteran of the department, was off-duty and in civilian clothes at the time of the shooting.

"Nothing overtly that would indicate he was a law enforcement officer," sheriff's Homicide Bureau Capt. Kent Wegener said. "He was off duty."

suspects-Los-Angeles-County-Sheriff-Department.jpg

The suspect who was shot a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy at a Jack in the Box restaurant is believed to have changed clothes after the shooting. (Los Angeles County Sheriff Department)

The shooting was captured on surveillance video and shows the deputy entering the restaurant, ordering food, and then waiting at the counter for his order.

As he was standing at the counter waiting for the food, the gunman approached and shot him once in the head, then left immediately, Wegener said. The deputy was rushed to County-USC Medical Center, where he remains hospitalized.

"There doesn't appear to be an overt motive" based on security video footage, Wegener said.

The gunman is described as a male adult in his 20s, about 5-feet 9-inches to 5-feet 11-inches tall, and was wearing a light-colored fedora hat, sunglasses, a burgundy button-down short-sleeved shirt, slim fitting blue jeans. Officials said he was armed with a handgun at the time of the shooting.

car-Los-Angeles-County-Sheriff-Department.jpg

The suspect was later seen driving northbound on Fremont Avenue in a 2006 Kia Sportage 4-door SUV with paper license plates.

From Off-duty Los Angeles sheriff's deputy shot in head, critically wounded at a Jack in the Box

You mean we had some? I don't recall a JITB in MA.

Burger Chef was my fav back in the day. I mean, if I wasn't living in Ohio and going to Red Barn, that is.

But I was told today that progress means poorer food at more convenient pickups, so F me and my good burgers and chicken of yesteryear. They don't matter. LOL

Wish him a full and speedy recovery. Sounds like a targeted shoot. Maybe someone, or group of someones, that he's had to interact with in the course of his job.

Hmmm. Random? I'd think not. Was he banging a drug dealer's wife?

Yeah, doesn't sound like there was anything random about it

You mean we had some? I don't recall a JITB in MA.

Burger Chef was my fav back in the day. I mean, if I wasn't living in Ohio and going to Red Barn, that is.

But I was told today that progress means poorer food at more convenient pickups, so F me and my good burgers and chicken of yesteryear. They don't matter. LOL

I remember one in Alston/Brighton up until the early mid 80's or so... the same one where my dumb ass brother and some friends stole
the Jack in the Box head at the drive thru.

30b1c7d5fccd07bb31e6b4e8d6306d79.jpg

Utah man arrested in shooting of off-duty California deputy at Jack in the Box

A Utah man has been arrested on suspicion of shooting an off-duty Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy as he waited in line at a fast-food restaurant, authorities said.

Long Beach police arrested 30-year-old Rhett Nelson of St. George, Utah, on Tuesday and turned him over to sheriff's investigators,
Fox 11 reported.

Nelson went into a church Tuesday morning and called his father back home, sheriff’s Homicide Bureau Capt. Kent Wegener said.

“In that call, he referred to committing a murder in Southern California,” Wegener said.

The father called police, who stopped Nelson in his car a short time later, he said.

Investigators said they believed Nelson was the man who walked up and shot Deputy Joseph Gilbert Solano in the head on Monday as he stood at the counter of a Jack in the Box in suburban Alhambra.

From The Latest: Man arrested in shooting of off-duty LA deputy

There was one in Wilmington ( Simards roast beef now) next to Wilmington ford .
I think it closed when Jack In The Box killed some people with tainted food.

Never been to IaO. We passed one in SF years ago. I wanted to go in. My brother: "Nah. Im not getting fast food on this trip. I can get fast food at home."

I was so disappointed. And my dad, who was with us, ALWAYS picks my brother - he's more fragile - so I was quickly outvoted.

Funny is the year before we were in StL for a game. (Base-a-ball). Took him to the Hardee's kiosk in center field before the game. "This is what I'm eating." "Uhhh, sure, I guess I'll try a burger." Eight seconds later. "Holy crap. This is a great burger." "RIGHT!?!?!?"

I'll get back some day.

Brockton had their own JITB

I remember as a 6-7yo kid (in the early 70's) my parents taking us to a JitB somewhere in MA once or twice and my choice always being the tacos. For the life of me I cannot remember where it was, but Brockton would probably have been the one. I think JitB pulled out of MA in the late 70s'?

Really ??? When ???
To this day Watertown still doesn't have any big chain fast-food restaurants, no MacDonalds, BK, Wendys or KFC etc.

Coolidge Square where the 7-11 is now, and before that, the old local movie theater
(only reason I know is because I read the Watertown FaceBook page and they're
constantly reminiscing about the old days).

There was a BK in the Arsenal Mall (but since it wasn't a standalone, I don't know if that counts).

Deputy shot in fast-food restaurant dies

upload_2019-6-13_4-35-24.png

RIP Deputy Joseph Gilbert Solano

Joseph Gilbert Solano died Wednesday afternoon, two days after a gunman shot him at a Jack in the Box in suburban Alhambra.

The deputy's son and other family members were at the news conference.

Authorities say Solano wasn't in uniform at the time he was shot and the gunman apparently didn't know him.

A 30-year-old Utah man, Rhett Nelson, has been arrested.

Authorities also call him a suspect in the random killing of another man in Los Angeles an hour before the shooting. And they say Nelson's also suspected of being a gunman who robbed five convenience stores in San Diego County a few days ago.

Having a tough time buying a guy patiently waits to randomly shoot one person in the head.

News of Solano’s death came as a troubling portrait emerged of the man accused of killing him. Weeks before authorities say he opened fire on Solano, 30-year-old Rhett McKenzie Nelson drove away from his family’s home in southern Utah with a firearm and a grim-sounding mission statement.

He had somehow communicated to them the message that he wanted to make it on his own or die,” Capt. Mike Giles of the St. George Police Department in Utah said Wednesday.

Nelson may have been struggling with addiction and mental health issues, and police are investigating whether he is responsible for a fatal shooting in downtown Los Angeles and a series of armed robberies in San Diego since he arrived in Southern California in early June.

Neither police nor Nelson’s family believed he was a danger to himself or others when he was reported missing May 28, Giles said.

But two weeks later, police say, Nelson opened fire on a downtown Los Angeles street and again inside the Alhambra fast-food restaurant in the span of one hour, leaving one man dead and Solano, who was off-duty and in civilian clothing, gravely injured.

Ah, well that sounds more like what I would expect. Most nut jobs don't kill one person and then run away. Its usually a pattern or immediate murder/suicid .

Back
Top Bottom